Trumpeter 1/35 British Heli - Its a Chinook

simmerit

18 hours ago, simmerit said:

I was shooting yesterday at Bisley (not fun due to Catterick like weather conditions (20mph side wind from the left across the range and horizontal torrential rain for 45 minutes) and the two weekends before that saw OC Domestic have me on household duties moving radiators in two bedrooms, which involved having the floor up, so that cost me two weekends also.  I've basically lost three weeks on the Cent in the armour section on 'ere.

The committed in blood plan is to finish the Cent, the two Chally 2s, the Centaur and Cromwell (all of which are just about ready to weather then be back on the Wokka.

I have cleaned all of the filler off with alcohol, so the airframe is just about ready for rivets and priming.  

The other two minor complications are I started a new job on the 4th Jan and..................... it looks like the hip replacement well may have failed.  I was back on crutches last week and popping morphine again - I'm down to 1/2 a litre of the really really strong stuff, but kept away from the pills which are the really really really really strong stuff.  I need to organise another MRI and blood tests.  If they need to re-do the op, that will cost me 12 weeks on crutches and a lot of pain, so I wont be doing anything at all, including the Wokka.  I'm going to try and avoid the second hip op on the left hip until next year if I can........................

Say hello to the lads on ARRSE, and hello Bill, Hendie, Tony and the rest of the crew in here!

I've updated the reprobates over there, and asked if anyone needs some bones for dogs for good measure ;)

On the upside, this means I might get the U-Boot finished before the wokka :)  

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I’m back on it. Will post some piccies soon, but have just started to apply Mr Surfacer to the airframe.

there is a danger I’m going to finish this.  Updates on ARRSE until I get some piccies on here.

nice to back on BM!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

B----y good to hear from you mate

Hips?

Update required bud.

Hello Bill mate!

Yup its been a while.  few disasters along the way.  Hip op was a 100% success.  Only one small mishap.  I've got what looks like a permanently damaged nerve in the leg where the surgeon cut it with a his knife.  Radio isotopes being injected at the end of the month to test the functioning of the nerves.  Had injections in the spine and all sorts.  Popping pills still like they are sweets.  Running is finished and I cant get on a bike.  I can do weights however which is bizarre.  I also managed to ski in January.  Its mental.

Anyway.  the wokka.  Since putting it down we have had UV curing glue introduced into the market which has saved its bacon.

11C3DB3F-CB71-4146-A3BB-254D69F67273

9F720265-9AA2-426D-8812-BBA8D53711A3

Its not looked like that for about 4 years......  I've also managed to lose a couple of bits and some repairs needed

06CAAD1D-7311-4698-A79C-D88B9277BDBD

Had to replace part of the rear undercarriage which is lost forever

4686FBBC-2228-4BC2-A4D9-7CFCAC638AD3

DA896E24-3515-486E-91C1-48A597D8E17A

and with my no expense spared spray booth!!!

52704957601_7554801387_b.jpg

52704957806_f126b56b71_b.jpg

I've started to apply Mr Surfacer.  Its going to take a while to get the base layer on it then I will need to have a go at it with micromesh before starting the riveting.  The plan is to finish the bloody thing this summer.  Its the bane of my life!

• Like 5

In your er, absence I built a Wokka of my own and like I had a hell of a yukky time with the rear suspenders.

Must go with the course.

Surgeons huh?

The guy who gave me my first 'knew knee' didn't actually get the fore and aft alignment right so it points a bit more fore and aft rather than slightly aside.

Any sergeant major would have me off his lovely parade ground because untidy but 'taint ever going to be a problem.

Only reason I'm telling is that after the knee jobs I can't ride a bike either, I get the knee lock about ten-to or ten-past on the crank.

I'm sorry you've had such a s--- time mate, but hell, keep on keeping on.

The Wokka looks a lovely as ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

In your er, absence I built a Wokka of my own and like I had a hell of a yukky time with the rear suspenders.

Must go with the course.

Surgeons huh?

The guy who gave me my first 'knew knee' didn't actually get the fore and aft alignment right so it points a bit more fore and aft rather than slightly aside.

Any sergeant major would have me off his lovely parade ground because untidy but 'taint ever going to be a problem.

Only reason I'm telling is that after the knee jobs I can't ride a bike either, I get the knee lock about ten-to or ten-past on the crank.

I'm sorry you've had such a s--- time mate, but hell, keep on keeping on.

The Wokka looks a lovely as ever.

Sorry to hear that re the knee.

Wot scale?  

The knee?

One to one of course.

Oh the Wokka, that was the venerable Matchbox kit in 1/72 scale.

7 squadron Secret Squirrel machine, all over aerials in green, grey and black belly finish.

It's on BM somewhere. 

At Telford a couple of years ago a guy who used to fly in the actual machine told me it was exactly like his'n.

• Like 2

Cracked on a bit

Wokka again

Wokka again

Wokka again

Hope to get to the front end of the airframe on Wednesday and get the underneath finished by the weekend, after which its the first going over it with micro mesh.

I'm reckoning on a couple of coats and rub downs before its ready for riveting......  In a strange way I'm quite looking forward to that!

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Looking good mate 

12 minutes ago, perdu said:

Tease

cheers Terry.  It’s been a while.  It’s a live hate relationship but I’m starting to see an end to it!

Bill - it’s getting there.  A lot of cleaning required on the glass.  I’m going to have a crack at it on Thursday.  Funny how a mental block can stop you dead.

Just sat in hospital about to get some radio active isotope injected!  Woo hoo!!

45 minutes ago, simmerit said:

Just sat in hospital about to get some radio active isotope injected!  Woo hoo!!

Do they offer a choice of flavours?

For the nervous taste in the mouth.

Today I have to go get fitted for a cardio tracking device which apparently they want back!

Tomorrow.

But that is after the other test to see if I am actually breathing air into the old tubes this arvo.

What are they doing to my precious model making time huh?

Wishing you well mate, catch you later.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Great to see progress on this Si.

Sorry to hear about the nerve issue, but hopefully all will turn out OK.

Ian

thanks Ian.  I’m approaching the run into the final 10 furlongs!

nerve damage is permanent.  At some point I’ll be asking the question ‘how much?’

Well, this is an impressive build and you've overcome so many problems .... and not just with the kit! 

I take my hat off to you for the sheer determination to keep going in spite of everything and look forward to seeing the finished item. 

Take care.

Keith 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simmerit said:

cheers Terry.  It’s been a while.  It’s a live hate relationship but I’m starting to see an end to it!

Bill - it’s getting there.  A lot of cleaning required on the glass.  I’m going to have a crack at it on Thursday.  Funny how a mental block can stop you dead.

A "live hate" relationship is a beautiful Freudian slip that sums up more than one of my helicopter builds!

.....I had both my hips replaced in November and I live on to hate a couple of builds that I started many years ago but I'm too stubborn to give up on them.

I must admit that my helicopters are nothing like as ambitious (or high quality) as your Wokka and there has been no need for radio active isotopes in my post op plan so I have very little to complain about.

Just wanted to offer support and say good luck with the nerve studies and I am keen to see how the Wokka (finally?) progresses.

I was a bit peeved the other day when they chucked me off the Modern British Armour faceache SIG page for posting the Wokka, but they have let me back in after a fellow Britmodeller pleaded my case🙂. The swine!!

Anyway.  My new Spray Booth!!

Wokka

Note the sophisticated masking....

Wokka

Wokka

Bit of cleaning up to do before I do the side of the airframe

Wokka

But there's no denying its progress!!

Forget these little lads weren't fixed in either.

Wokka

Hope to be on the front of the airframe tomorrow - work permitting.  Busy day unfortunately

• Like 3