1/48 Tamiya Corsair MkII, 1833 Sqn, HMS Illustrious

85sqn

I know its an old photo and is subjective but to my eyes it looks like a shade of interior green! I've always followed this hunch. Do you have a reference for the blue?

Great work by the way :thumbsup:

Bob

Hi there, I think I first saw the reference in this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53782-corsair-mk-ii-f4u-a-engine-cowling-colour/page-2

Which then led to that set of colour photos. As a point of reference on the left you can just make out the green of the camouflage so the wing fold is definitely not interior green but the photo is quite saturated.

Some of the photos I've posted have been quite dark, I promise the next lot will be much clearer!

Hi folks, bit of an update today. I have made some masks using a punch and an Olfa circle cutter. I had to trim some of the cutter to allow it to get a smaller radius that matches the correct size for the roundels. So I sprayed the white first, then blue (mix of Humbrol 15 and 104) then carried out the main camouflage using Xtracrylix.

IMG_5463.jpgIMG_5462.jpgIMG_5462.jpgIMG_5466.jpgIMG_5468.jpgAs you can see in the last photo a little bit of the gray pulled away as I removed the masking tape so that has been corrected now as have any small part of overspray etc. As I write I am just waiting for the new fuel tank covers to dry then I can photograph that. A few bits here and there and it will be ready for a gloss coat. The nice thing being there aren't too many decals to apply now!

I have also started weathering the fuel tank to make it a bit more used than the more fresh paint scheme on this aircraft. I will post photos of it tomorrow.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 5

This has moved on a bit since I last stopped by, Looking good though love the scheme !!

Well done Nick.

Guy

Looking nice Nick,

You`ve really jumped ahead on this one!

I`m not sure which subject you`ve chosen but can I just ask whether you are going to tone this one down a bit because the camouflage soon faded in the tropics with the colours merging into each other. There were some aboard HMS Illustrious coded 6A+ and 7A+ which did have a darker looking camouflage mind you.

Many had the upper fuselage roundels converted into Eastern Fleet style by retaining the large B Type roundel and then over painting the red section using more blue, ,.....adding the white spot in the middle.There was often trace of the painted over fuselage and under wing roundels too As always it is best to check reference pics. Here are some,...which you have probably seem already but I`ve attached them just in case,...I hope you don`t mind?;

Episode2_3_45.jpg

Episode2_3_15.jpg

Episode2_3_40.jpg

Episode2_3_08.jpg

Episode2_3_42.jpg

Keep up the great work,

Tony

PS- Sorry Nick,.....I`ve just realised that you are doing an Illustrious based Corsair so please ignore what I said about the colours mate,.....your darker colours look spot on for the early stages of the Eastern Fleet ops when they wore the 6 and 7 prefixed codes behind the roundel, as seen in the 2nd to last pic above!

Edited by tonyot

Looking nice Nick,

You`ve really jumped ahead on this one!

I`m not sure which subject you`ve chosen but can I just ask whether you are going to tone this one down a bit because the camouflage soon faded in the tropics with the colours merging into each other. There were some aboard HMS Illustrious coded 6A+ and 7A+ which did have a darker looking camouflage mind you.

Many had the upper fuselage roundels converted into Eastern Fleet style by retaining the large B Type roundel and then over painting the red section using more blue, ,.....adding the white spot in the middle.There was often trace of the painted over fuselage and under wing roundels too As always it is best to check reference pics. Here are some,...which you have probably seem already but I`ve attached them just in case,...I hope you don`t mind?;

Episode2_3_45.jpg

Episode2_3_15.jpg

Episode2_3_40.jpg

Episode2_3_08.jpg

Episode2_3_42.jpg

Keep up the great work,

Tony

PS- Sorry Nick,.....I`ve just realised that you are doing an Illustrious based Corsair so please ignore what I said about the colours mate,.....your darker colours look spot on for the early stages of the Eastern Fleet ops when they wore the 6 and 7 prefixed codes behind the roundel, as seen in the 2nd to last pic above!

Hi Tony, In your Illustrious photo there, 6A (JT371) is up the front of the deck, It has the underside roundels in the normal size, just the red overpainted whereas there are all sorts of different variations showing on the other aircraft. The topside ones are more difficult to see and by zooming in on the wing of 6A, all I can see is a little white circle! What do you think? It's no problem if I've done the topside roundels the wrong size, I'll re-mask and spray again.

JT371%20JT.png

What concerns me more is the camouflage pattern. All of these aircraft shown here have the same pattern, and If we look at some of the other you have posted, they are similar to the colour photos we've both used which corresponds to the darker camouflage colour being the green and the lighter is the gray. So for my aircraft I've taken the darker portion of camouflage as slate grey and lighter as EDSG. Have I completely balls it up the wrong way round?

Hiya Nick,

You are right about your camo mate, the darker areas are Dk. Slate Grey/Olive Drab and the lighter areas are EDSG/ Sea Grey with the latter running through the cockpit area. I`ve always had a nagging feeling that these aircraft aboard Illustrious were refinished,...possibly in British colours rather than the US equivalent colours as they appear darker than most Corsairs,...just as you`ve portrayed yours? However I might just lighten the EDSG a touch if possible,.....if not then don`t worry as the matt varnish will lighten it.

Now that I know which Corsair you`ve chosen you are right about the under wing roundel but judging by the other aircraft including the Barracuda`s I would either widen out the blue on the upper wing to the usual B Type roundel width or at least show some sign of the old roundel being over painted. Some aircraft had the painted out outline of the fuselage roundels visible as seen on 7R and the aircraft in front of it, sometimes with the new blue and white roundel not always being applied directly in the middle of the old roundel,....but in the case of your 6A that doesn`t seem to be the case,..at least on the Dk. Slate Grey painted section which almost seems as if it has been freshly applied.

You are doing a great job and don`t let me put you off,....... all the best,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Nick, i know i wasn't asked for comment, but if you added the 1" walkway lines along the wing spar and around the outer perimeter of the gun access doors, it would add some visual interest to what is otherwise sort of a featureless expanse of camouflaged Corsair wing. That and also changing the tint of one or two of the ammo cans, since they were swappable (except for the outboards).

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

david

• Like 1

Whilst researching my own Corsair model I couldn`t find any race of the walkway lines painted onto British Corsairs, especially around the gun bays at least. I`m not saying that they weren`t,.....just that I`ve not come across them so left them off my model apart from the walkway line on the inner wing and even that one is debatable.

The black line under the right side of the cockpit leading to the foot rest was on British Corsair`s however, which was painted white on GSB painted Mk.IV`s..

Cheers

Tony

Hi guys, cheers for that David, I actually sprayed the larger walkways visible in the above photos and also did a couple of ammo drums yesterday, will post a photo of that soon!

Tony I'm glad you've set that straight with the camo scheme. I think I willl mist over a thin mix of grey or something light to blend and lighten the camo scheme. When we get to the weathering stage I could use some thin enamel as a filter.

Roundel wise, I reckon I should make it look like its had some overpainting, perhaps a darkened slate gray mix?

• Like 1

Oh, for an after market 1/48 elephant to make that diorama!

I`ve got one!! I found it in a toy shop and it comes from a range of German made toy animals,.....sorry but I cannot read the company name on the belly properly but it looks like `Schleich'! It is all ready painted and built etc and just needs `FIFI' chalking onto its side. As you can probably guess,....I have such a diorama in mind! I think that this is the one,.....remember that it has to be an Indian Elephant!;

14344.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Hi folks,

small update. I've sprayed over mist of Light Aircraft Grey to lighten the gray a bit but I want to give it a bit more. The wings have had a bit of overpainting plus a couple of ammo cans in ANA613.

IMG_5475.jpg

The drop tank has had a bit of weathering with chipping, an enamel wash and a little bit of staining with Ammo fuel streaks. The fuselage carbon monoxide vent have been attached and the aircraft has been glossed ready for decals.

edited to add; the gunports will be done in 'red dope' and I need to add some patches over the cartridge ejection chutes also need to source some small white letters- This aircraft had KATHLEEN III under the starboard portion of the windscreen which was the name of Lt. Hansons wife. I think the equivalent of the size of the serial but in 1/72 may be the right size for this.

• Like 4

That looks great Nick,...just the job!

For the patches over the ejector chutes why don`t you fill them in with white glue? When it dries you can then paint it to make a patch.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hi folks sorry I seem to have slowed down. Im waiting on Hannants as I ordered a set of small serials in 1/72 so that I can apply KATHLEEN III on the side but I got sent the correct packet but with wrong decals inside! I dont think aload of RNZAF kiwi roundels would look quite right!

The decals have been applied and the patches I went for tin foil.

Nearly there!

Hi folks,

after a bit of a wait I finally managed to get the last few decals on, I used some enamel washes to simulate some grime and fuel staining and Tamiyas weathering stick for some cordite dust. The aerials were created with stretched sprue and voila!

IMG_5609.jpg

I will post some more photos in RFI later as I'm off to work!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 8

• 1 year later...