Airfix 1/72 Stuka ...Italian style......finally FINISHED!

Looking good!

About the maskol (I hate it BTW) I can't help because I never had this problem. But I 'd try to use water to dissolve it or try Pritt Tak dough and try to pick it.

Just my two cents

• Like 1

Looking good!

About the maskol (I hate it BTW) I can't help because I never had this problem. But I 'd try to use water to dissolve it or try Pritt Tak dough and try to pick it.

Just my two cents

Paulo you are a modelling guru.

I tried some really warm water applied with a brush and the dried masking fluid just basically disappeared. Stubborn areas I picked up a bit of gooey mess with a toothpick and cleaned up with a bit more water.

I never would have thought of trying that so thanks heaps.

Here's a photo ...one wing done......nice and clean......nice and easy.....nice and quick.

1012919_357368297758301_9170381895837306

Cheers and thanks!

• Like 3

G'day Bruce

Sorry I'm so late catching up with this build, great job so far.

Having had a sneak preview of your stash, and seeing the range of manufactures, Airfix will be breathing a sigh of relief they won't be hearing from you for a while anyway !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

G'day Bruce

Sorry I'm so late catching up with this build, great job so far.

Having had a sneak preview of your stash, and seeing the range of manufactures, Airfix will be breathing a sigh of relief they won't be hearing from you for a while anyway !

Cheers Pat

Ha Ha....nice to hear from you Pat!.

Guess what......despite the massive stash of Academy and other bibs and bobs I've pretty much selected my next victim...

The venerable Airfix DH Mosquito Mk XVIII version which looks smashing.

Another old school boxing thing....I don't know I must be nuts...poor Airfix.

I think I chose it because I want to clear out/practice on some of the lesser "engineered" kits but also mainly because I wanted to step up and make something with 2 props!!

God help us all.......but there's a Stuka to finish first so we've got a few months ..... :whistle::coolio:

• Like 1

Paulo you are a modelling guru.

I tried some really warm water applied with a brush and the dried masking fluid just basically disappeared. Stubborn areas I picked up a bit of gooey mess with a toothpick and cleaned up with a bit more water.

I never would have thought of trying that so thanks heaps.

Here's a photo ...one wing done......nice and clean......nice and easy.....nice and quick.

1012919_357368297758301_9170381895837306

Cheers and thanks!

Not a guru for sure. I just thought that since you only uses enamels it would be safe to use some water to wash down the mess.

Cheers mate

• Like 1

G'day Bruce, like Pat I'm just catching up on your build, it's coming along nicely indeed,(except for the slight blip, but there's always something, right?)

Looking forward to the finished model, and the start of the Mossie, which is still one of my favourite kits,

Sean

• Like 1

G'day Bruce, like Pat I'm just catching up on your build, it's coming along nicely indeed,(except for the slight blip, but there's always something, right?)

Looking forward to the finished model, and the start of the Mossie, which is still one of my favourite kits,

Sean

Welcome aboard Sean....hopefully some faster progress after a few recent delays

Cheers

Bruce

By the way Bruce, who won the sweepstake for nearest the date on the BV141 completion, I went for 2015, so must have been closer than some !

I think the chap who said the first dry Sunday in the middle of the week was being a bit harsh. : )

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

By the way Bruce, who won the sweepstake for nearest the date on the BV141 completion, I went for 2015, so must have been closer than some !

I think the chap who said the first dry Sunday in the middle of the week was being a bit harsh. : )

Cheers Pat

Don't know who won that one but get on Au Revior in the Melbourne Cup in Australia next week. LOOOOOOOONG odds and NOOOOOO chance but hey my boss is a part owner so why not have some fun :fool:

But I digress......

I'll post on the weekend.....the rest of the maskol should be off (thanks to Paulo) and I'll attempt to fix all the paint problems......Oh....and that canopy thing :pumpkin:

Happy Halloween!!!!

Cheers

• Like 1

Well now we've recovered from Halloween in the Antipodes I've managed a small amount of progress.

I've got a heap of bits to try and improve so this is what I've stuffed up and then how I've tried to fix it.

Firstly the masking position on the legs was all wrong.

Trying to fix it here. Ended up painting it by hand as I just couldn't bear all the rest of the masking and firing up the compressor and thinning paint and cleaning the airbrush.

10405330_358909227604208_363426354816534

Next up I masked the cowling to try and get the gelb right. Again I added some masks but chose to paint by hand

1496614_358908607604270_4063056974179721

This side looked particularly poor and needed fixing

10487450_358908080937656_750329757914090

This is one side sort of done.

I ended up doing a lot of touching up freehand......I'm obviously crap at masking!

10731026_358909957604135_448560455131694

I realised the line for the RLM65 was wrong and should have been more horizontal with a wrap around the wing. This angled straight edge needed fixing

10731026_358909957604135_448560455131694

So I masked this side

10702145_358910137604117_235366711784690

And the other.......and again couldn't be stuffed with all the hoohaa and quietly hand painted them while enjoying a nice Shiraz to keep my eye in and my hand relatively steady..

Had to do a bit of the splinter just freehand no masking.....not great but a heavy weathering might hide a few sins :innocent:

Filled in the "V" roughly first on the RLM 71

10676179_358910490937415_729145988158560

Before finishing with the RLM70 and removing the mask

10392314_358911044270693_224249701271296

Not too bad.....add a heavy weathering and I might get away with it! (Got some nasty RLM 70 on the RLM 65 on the backend of the radiator thing but will tidy that up)

The other side looks rough

10410881_358910840937380_465178016482336

Since then I've actually done a heap of tidy ups on this side by hand and eye with a hairy stick and no tape.

The end result is an okay base for some weathering.

Will post a few more photos hopefully soon ....going to have a crack with Future for the first time as the gloss base to my washes and weathering.

Hope it works!! :frantic::fool:

Cheers!

• Like 4

Nice!

Relax! The Future is bright (pun intended :winkgrin: ) and very easy to apply.

You can either spray it straight from the jar or thin it with 50% future x 50% Tamiya X20A thinner. Use low pressure at the compressor.

Light coats waiting for coats to dry in between coats, and keep the airbrush moving. :2c:

• Like 1

Sprayed some Future/Klear/Pledge around thinned with some Tamiya Acrylic thinner.

First time effort and looks okay but will check once hardened and then have a crack at the rest of the Stuka before weathering.

Have to say one thing I didn't expect was that lovely fragrance from my modelling product! LOL

Man ...I'm used to enamels and thinners and petrochemical and turps and you name it........damn!!! I sprayed something on my Stuka that smelt like it was straight out of the good wife's laundry!

What a pleasant change!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Hey Bruce

Looking good mate. Klear / Future is one of those unsung heros of the modelling world lord only knows who found it to be such a great modelling product and yes it does have a nice pong too!

Keep it up mate I enjoy going through your threads - they are guaranteed to bring a smile to my face.

All the best

Iain

• Like 1

Hey Bruce

Looking good mate. Klear / Future is one of those unsung heros of the modelling world lord only knows who found it to be such a great modelling product and yes it does have a nice pong too!

Keep it up mate I enjoy going through your threads - they are guaranteed to bring a smile to my face.

All the best

Iain

Cheers Iain........I like to keep my modelling in perspective and have a bit of a laugh along the way.

But then again I have to because my skills and eyesight are decidedly lacking!!! :frantic:

Enjoying your Tiffy build chief....now THAT'S a real model!

I've told you! :banghead:

Now you should throw all your nasty enamel stuff and start using the acrylics. No nasty smells and unbelievable range of colours and brands.

let us see the glossy results mate!

• Like 1

I've told you! :banghead:

Now you should throw all your nasty enamel stuff and start using the acrylics. No nasty smells and unbelievable range of colours and brands.

let us see the glossy results mate!

Yes I probably should !! LOL

But I was only just starting to work out what the heck was happening with the enamels!!! :frantic:

Looking forward to trying some new materials...I think I will try oils thinned for the panel lines as I've got an old oil paint set and being a Scottish descendant I love saving money!!

Chocks away!

• Like 3