1/48 - Saab J 21A-3 & A 21A-3 by Pilot Replicas - J 21A-3 released - new engine set released

Homebee

I think I should buy one... just for the sake of I want PR to continue! (J29, Sk-60, Saab-105 .....)

strange plane though!

looks quite big to me!

glad they released it!

:) :)

• Like 1

For those in the UK, I checked the site, with post it was about £39, as price does not seem to have been mentioned, and it seems reasonable enough for what is pretty niche subject, assuming they have done a good job.

To get the quote though you need in name/address details to get a shipping quote, and then go to Xe.com to get the exchange rate, as it's priced in Swedish Kroner, which is why I mention this.

I am interested enough to get one at some point, though I'll see what the reviews are first.

My interest stems from having picked up a cheapish copy of the excellent MMP Swedish Piston Engine Fighters,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swedish-Piston-Fighter-Colours-1926-1954/dp/8361421726/

There is also a neat little MMP monograph on the type, which above purchase tempted me into buying...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saab-J21-J21R-Yellow-Books/dp/8361421084

Wonder if they will do the J-21R, which was the jet conversion at some point? There are some pretty big differences though from what I remember of the book, which is not too hand.

HTH

T

Judging from what I have seen live (a built model and all sprues apart from the clear one), this one is absolutely brilliant. Delicate panel lines, perfect rivets and great moulding (they have worked with the same mould-maker as Tamiya do) and excellent decals. As far as I can see, shape is also perfect. So although price is pretty high, it will definitely be worth it.

You can also buy it from Pilot Replicas website: http://pilot-replicas.com/

I asked them earlier this year about a J 21R. It has been discussed, but as Troy points out, they differ pretty much. But sprues are made in a way to make it possible, all common parts are on sprue 3 (the one with the wheels). It depends on the sales on this one and their forthcoming releases, Tunnan and Saab 105/SK 60, both in 1/48. Tunnan is on its way, Saab 105 is delayed since they worked with a different company on that one. But from what I heard, it will surely be released too, but the couldn't say when.

• Like 1

Receieved my kit today. All I can say is WOW! I'm very impressed. Everything about this model kit oozes quality. The details are stunning and the fit of parts are excellent.

The question is now how many of these J 21s I'm going to buy. I really think this kit will be one of the big sellers this year. Odd looking aircraft I know but most modellers I know like that. The kit is expensive but I feel that you get a lot of value for your money.

Get one, you wont be disappointed!

Now I'm really excited and I can't wait for Pilot Replicas next release, the J 29!!! :-)

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

• Like 3

Receieved my kit today. All I can say is WOW! I'm very impressed. Everything about this model kit oozes quality. The details are stunning and the fit of parts are excellent.

The question is now how many of these J 21s I'm going to buy. I really think this kit will be one of the big sellers this year. Odd looking aircraft I know but most modellers I know like that. The kit is expensive but I feel that you get a lot of value for your money.

Get one, you wont be disappointed!

Now I'm really excited and I can't wait for Pilot Replicas next release, the J 29!!! :-)

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

mine arrived Wednesday! that I call fast delivery!

looks very nice, and not as big as I imagined from the photos! so it is not Lansen like which surprised me in being soo big!

quite a delicate fine looking plane! this twin boom is interesting!

quality is also very nice, packaging perfect!!

hope to build it soon!

I also received mine a couple of days ago and it's certainly a marvellous kit – fully modern mouldings with very sharp trailing edges and a general impression of hicgh precision. Nothing 'short run' about them whatsoever.

A nerdy remark: the correct appellation of the machine is J 21A-3 – no hyphen between 'J' and '21' but a space character. The modelled version was sometimes called A 21, because it was outfitted to accept bomb and rocket racks in the attack role that the J 21 was eventually relegated to. Interestingly, only the excellent decal sheet has got the spelling right. ;-)

The only moulding aspect that I'm not 100 per cent enthusiastic about is the portrayal of the fabic covered elevator and rudders. If you look at the fuselage sprue photo above and check out the rudders on the tailbooms, they're perfectly flat but adorned with oval, almost romboid projections. From a distance and in certain lights, they do give an impression of fabric over a frame, but closer up (this is 1:48th scale, after all) I just can't connect them with my mind's image of fabric covering.

I guess that some enterprising resin aftermarket people may make a set of revised control surfaces that also offer the option of displaced rudders.

AFAIK, Pilot-Replicas are hard at work on a resin (?) DB 605 engine with accessories, for those who would like to display the J 21 with engine covers off. A Dodge jeep complete with towbar for the J 21 is also in the works – yay!

It's gratifying to see Pilot-Replicas make such an impact with their first real world model of the highest quality, after the protracted silcence about the SK 60/SAAB 105 project that had some people give up hope. The future looks very bright indeed for 'quarter scale' modellers of Swedish AF subjects.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

The only moulding aspect that I'm not 100 per cent enthusiastic about is the portrayal of the fabic covered elevator and rudders. If you look at the fuselage sprue photo above and check out the rudders on the tailbooms, they're perfectly flat but adorned with oval, almost romboid projections. From a distance and in certain lights, they do give an impression of fabric over a frame, but closer up (this is 1:48th scale, after all) I just can't connect them with my mind's image of fabric covering.

I guess that some enterprising resin aftermarket people may make a set of revised control surfaces that also offer the option of displaced rudders.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim - I see what you mean. A look through the photos in the excellent MMP monogram on the type shows the rudders to be rather smooth looking ( admittedly the dark olive camo colour doesn't help in the BW photos, but i can't see any bulging "rhomboids").

There's a cryptic note in the book thats says the control surfaces on the J 21 & A 21 were re-skinned with aluminium ( the J 21R jet version had this as a production feature from the start) but it only mentions it rather than giving any details as to when and in which version ( A-1, 2 or 3). Clarification from someone with more SAABicityness than I would be appreciated :)

On other thing "I think" I've discovered from photos is that the 20 mm cannon doesn't seem to sit on the centreline of the nose - its very slightly offset. But I'd welcome someone else's opinion on this too!

Its lovely kit, and a quick tape of the main parts shows a pretty decent fit. I feel a WIP coming on.... :)

Jonners

• Like 1

Hi Joachim - I see what you mean. A look through the photos in the excellent MMP monogram on the type shows the rudders to be rather smooth looking ( admittedly the dark olive camo colour doesn't help in the BW photos, but i can't see any bulging "rhomboids").

There's a cryptic note in the book thats says the control surfaces on the J 21 & A 21 were re-skinned with aluminium ( the J 21R jet version had this as a production feature from the start) but it only mentions it rather than giving any details as to when and in which version ( A-1, 2 or 3). Clarification from someone with more SAABicityness than I would be appreciated :)

On other thing "I think" I've discovered from photos is that the 20 mm cannon doesn't seem to sit on the centreline of the nose - its very slightly offset. But I'd welcome someone else's opinion on this too!

Its lovely kit, and a quick tape of the main parts shows a pretty decent fit. I feel a WIP coming on.... :)

Jonners

Nose cannon, spot on

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/saab-j21-in-detail/

detail_j21_02.jpg

rudder

detail_j21_16.jpg

Maybe email the Swedish Air Force museum in Linköping, where this is on display.

http://www.flygvapenmuseum.se//en

HTH

• Like 1

Think I must be getting forgetful or a bit confused in my old age?

I did rather fancy one of these but at over £40 plus postage will have to wait and see what the UK price is.....

The thought of US dollars and current exchange rate leads me to remember that when Pilot Replicas first came to light with the Saab Sk60 they were an all American company (must admit it did seem an choice for them) now it appears that all links to buy including there own site take you to Swedish sites or at least all prices are in Swedish Kr.

Have I missed something?

Thank for any help.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After the J 21A-3 (ref.48-A-001 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F234988181-saab-j-21-a-3-148), Pilot Replicas is to release in 2016 a Saab A 21A-3 with kit ref.48-A-003.
Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F234988181-saab-j-21-a-3-148

Thank Joachim - see herebelow

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

After the J-21A3 (ref.48-A-001 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F234988181-saab-j-21-a-3-148),Pilot Replicas is to release in 2016 a Saab A-21A3 with kit ref.48-A-003.

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F234988181-saab-j-21-a-3-148

Let's get these Swedish appellations right, shall we? ;-)

Hyphen (-) is never used between the category letter (J for 'Jakt', fighter; A for 'Attack', S for 'Spaning', recconaissance, etc.) and the type number. However, there a hyphen is used between the version letter (A, B, C etc.) and a potential sub version number.

Like so: J 21A-3, JAS 39C, S 32C, JA 37, and so on.

The fact that the Pilot Replica box for the J 21A-3 got it wrong didn't help… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

However, there a hyphen is used between the version letter (A, B, C etc.) and a potential sub version number.

It is even more complicated that that... For Draken, there is no hyphen in J 35F1 and J 35F2. And sometimes there also have been letters, like JA 37DI. Another odd thing is that old school and transport aircraft and helicopters were designated Sk (skol) and Tp (transport) and Hkp (Helikopter), while this later was changed into SK, TP and HKP.

Swedish designations can really be a jungle. Sorry for leaving the main subject of this thread...

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

It is even more complicated that that... For Draken, there is no hyphen in J 35F1 and J 35F2. And sometimes there also have been letters, like JA 37DI. Another odd thing is that old school and transport aircraft and helicopters were designated Sk (skol) and Tp (transport) and Hkp (Helikopter), while this later was changed into SK, TP and HKP.

Swedish designations can really be a jungle. Sorry for leaving the main subject of this thread...

Haha, Björn, I thought this would call you out! ;-) Thank you for your supplemented wisdom!

Kind regards,

Joachim