P-51D Gunfighter FINISHED , "HJGB" wont make it this time, sorry :(

Wolwe82

Thanks guys :)) Cooken i m also just copying what i can see all around on BM and so :) I can see on myself how i m changing, doing things in different ways than what i used to do even few months ago (not everything, just some bits here and there), so all i can say is, theres realy nothing too special on me :) There are people around on BM, who realy do have BIG talent or skill or combination of both :) I m just trying to learn a bit from these people :)

As for the wash, i think i wont do any wash after all, because it is air show plane and even if you can see some scratches on it on detailed photos and exhaust stainings on some shots too, it was mostly quite clean and shiny :) And the deep airfix panel lines would bring the wash too much out. So i ll just do some very gentle wash around the cowling and around the control surfaces and that will be it :) But thanks for the tip with the artist ink pens, i ll check what i can get in the shops here to try it out :)

I had free morning today, so here is some progress :) Masked the checkered nose. After thinking about few possibilities how to do it, i decided to do it simple - i did cut out the checker nose decal and used tamiya tape over it. The tamiya tape is sort of transparent, so i could see the decal under it and i did cut out the yellow areas and used these as the mask. I had to adjust it slightly though, because the decal was too wide (probably made for another kit, not Airfix - on the real gunfighter the yellow/green ends just by the exhausts, the decal would go like 2mm over the exhausts). Its not perfect, but for my first checker pattern i m happy with it :)

018.jpg

019.jpg

Tonight i ll paint the flaps and gear covers with silver, then i ll add the black stripes (on wings, flaps, covers, tail from bottom) and walking paths on the top side of wings. Then the Gunfighter ll be ready for gloss varnish and decals :)

• Like 3

That looks beautiful Wolwe and, to me, the checkered pattern looks amazing!! :goodjob: Your work looks exceptionally neat and tidy to me!!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thanks all of you guys :) cheers

I got a bit problem with the black.. i dont know why, either vallejo and agama spirit based did not want to cover properly.. so i used it only for the tail and then switched to tamiya acrylic. This time it worked properly, but i ll have to let it dry till tomorrow, before i ll go on with masking for the walking paths on the wings.. :( I did at least paint the little parts. Tomorrow i ll remove the flaps(its just dry fit for now) and paint details on it, mask and paint the walking paths and complete rest of the little parts (gear, propeller).

020.jpg

021.jpg

• Like 3

cheers guys :) thanks :) Little bit of progress - walking paths added (black layer, salt, light grey layer, salt, nato black and oversprayed with much thinned medium grey), inner area of the flaps painted with gloss black followed with alclad chrome (you ll be able to see it better later) and propeller painted and just dry fit here. The propeller ll be probably replaced later with quickboost one, because the yellow strip is not as narrow as it should be :(

022.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again and again guys :) I m happy you like the progress:)

Today the gunfighter got gloss varnish of future-like stuff aaand i dont know what happened, but there are visible spots around.. just from some angles, its not like coloured dots, more like matt slightly darker dots here and there.... I tried to clean it with water, tried to use the pure future stuff to get it off.. nothing helped.. i might try soap water tomorrow or something like that... :( If that fails too, i can only hope the gloss varnish can cover it...

Anyway, decals were applied and i did some preparation on the little parts :)

023.jpg

The wheels are from A-36 Apache (made by Condor/MPM), these were the only one with the "narrow" tyres design (all aftermarket stuff for P-51 offers the diamond/cross thread design). The discs are not perfect, but better than diamon/cross thread pattern (the gunfighter is using the narrow style)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

Incredible work Wolwe!

It would be impressive at 1/48 but at it's 1/72 it's mind blowing what you've done with the little airfix kit! :yikes:

Well, that brought me up short- I had to check back to verify that I really was looking at a 1/72nd, and Airfix, kit! Sure looked like a respectable 48th one to me! The comment about the wheels should have tipped me off, but I guess I wasn't paying attention.

bob

• Like 1

Hah bob thanks :))

A bit of progress from tonight. I did some wash of the ailerons and tail control surfaces, wanted to do very gentle wash around cowling, following photos of the real one, but the deep airfix panel lines quite does not allow that (honestly, in this scale all wash looks unreal, but without wash it usualy looks too much toy like.. but the gloss varnish gives the panel edges some extra shine, which helps to mark the panels in a bit different way), then I gently used wet sandpaper to get rid of the "dots" i was talking about yesterday and following coat of vallejo gloss varnish gave it quite good finish.

After that i did some try and fail tries on the exhaust staining (on some photos the staining is noticeable, gently, on the green areas mainly the white part of it, on aluminium areas mainly the brown part of it), but mix of tamiya flat paints did the work at end :) the brown is maybe too siginificant, but i m still learning the gentle work with airbrush.. :)

Then the walking paths got flat coat and thats quite it for tonight.

Tomorrow i ll have time just at evening, so the gear should be completed (hot water and hairdryer are going into the action, to save the world from another airfix P-51D bent gear legs! :)) ) and i ll make the seats and few more details to the cockpit. Then few antenas under the wing, paint all the lights and i guess it should be done :)

edit: and exhaust ofcourse! :) I ll use quickboosts for Spitfire IX (round one) with cut off the end "rings" on each of the tube, it makes it look very close to the real one

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Thanks for watching guys and i ll see you tomorrow :)

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 4

If you mean the control rod on the elevator, then you are right. It should be on top of the right one. But it is on the bottom of the left one... In theory, it could be simply set alright by switching the parts, but practicaly it is impossible, because there is profiling which does not allow that.. Simply, the part which Airfix wanted to be on the left side, got to be on the left side.. :(

• Like 1

No, I mean what should be the balance weight, inset into the outer end of the stabilizer- it appears from the pictures more like a "fairing" coming back to the hinge line, as if it is solid to the stab and meeting the elevator, rather than solid to the elevator with a notch in the stab to let it "swing". I suppose I should have gone and looked at some of the other Airfix builds to satisfy my curiosity, I just saw "it" (whatever "it" is!) on yours. I'm afraid my eye wasn't well enough aware to spot the control rod question! (p.s. Yep, you can see it in the RNZAF build, too.)

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

Yea i see what yo mean now, the area is also not right shaped. It looks like part of the stabilizer while it should be part of the elevator, yes. But well, still i think the Airfix P-51D and A6M2 Zero are two kits of best value/money cost ratio, so many nice details, going together pretty well and for the money?.. You can buy old hasegawa much much more expensive and it will be definitely worse kits overall than these Airfix´s :)

• Like 1

I really wasn't meaning to bring up trouble- guess I just can't help myself! With all the love for this new kit, except the gear legs and control stick :banghead: I hadn't noticed any comment about this. But then, I don't tend to follow 72nd kits that closely.

Definitely not trying to take anything away from your lovely build!

bob

• Like 2

Not a comment on your build, at least I don't think so, but something strikes me as odd about the mass balances on the elevators. At the bottom of this page are some good shots to compare against- am I misreading what I'm seeing, or did Airfix make a goof?

bob

Short answer, yes :). It's one that can be lived with though, or easily fixed if so inclined.

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 1

Not that much progress over weekend, i did have time only today afternoon after all.. Anyway, i made new seats for both pilot and passenger, equipped seat belts to both. For the pilots seatbelts i made some "holder" behind the pilots seat, hwere the seatbelts are usualy locked to the construction . Next i completed the u/c, painted all lights.

Tomorrow i ll add tail wheel wells doors, the antenas under wing, pitot tube, landing light and the canopy. The exhausts are painted already, but i ll want to do some touch to these yet

027.jpg

028.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Mish and Patrice :) Tonight i sort of finished it (missed the landing light and i ll need to apply gloss coat to the tail wheel wells doors and make one more special instrument to cockpit - probabyl GPS tab or what is it). I have quite problems with dust in this room and on the gloss paint it is more noticeable then ever .. :((

Making the antennas under the wing around wheel wells was quite pain.. i did not know how to do it, in the end i used 1mm evergreen plastic rod, pinned it into minidrill, and while it was rotating i was pushing it on sandpaper, to give it some shape. THen i did cut it slightly diagonaly. In the end i did drill 0,1mm hole to the top (what a joy... ) and used some 0,05 wire to make the wire antenne or what is it there.. :)

Here are first few shots, more tomorrow on better light :)

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1