Vosper MTB, probably 355 - scratchbuild reboot

Well, yes and no. As I mentioned Arthritis in those big joints at the base of the thumb are getting a bit painful lately, I keep sort of forgetting that I'm getting on and have had a somewhat active life and mustn't be surprised when old injuries come to say hello. That and, I think in common with quite a few, Covid - which I caught in September has had some long term effects too, like concentration.

• Sad 1

Anyway on with the work. Today I spent a couple of hours making a cradle that I could clamp into the old keel clamp I have. It should really help as it will bring the model up to eye level! 

recovery_1

Having it clamped also means I can add the bits, rudder and props that hang off the bottom, without them getting damaged.  As you can see, I have completely removed the bridge etc. in the hopes of doing a better job of them this time around...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Hurts don't it? I'm struggling with jam jar lids now and I hate cold damp weather. I wonder if I'll make it to the end of the stash...

Yup, My stash is more or less non-existent now. Small bungalow so spaceto display anything is at an end. Dunno, unlesssomething happens that I just can't resist... There's a slaver turned yacht - Xarifa - that I'd love to scratchbuild, but.

• 2 weeks later...

The rebuild is progressing, slowly. Found that the drawings in Lambert and Ross' book have some discrepancies between bridge drawings, which may be due to the process of getting them into the book and on one page, the 15" scale only has 14 divisions.... Couldn't figure out why things weren't looking right till I really looked.. duh.

Anyway, I've redone the cavitation plates, rudders and props, courtesy of Courageous - thanks again! dome finessing needed there...

props-rudders

I even remembered that weird little keel forward

weirdkeel

The bridge is a lot of work , with a lot of detail needing to be added. These later boats had the addition of an armoured bulkhead at the rear of the bridge, with a door, yet to be added. The storage units either side gave me a bit of trouble trying to hold them together while sticking the bits. They also need more tidying. Oh, and before I forget, does anyone know a decent substitute for G45?

storage

That's about it for the moment. More soon... Thanks for looking

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Right...December already. Progress has been slow. The drawings as reproduced in my copy of Mr. Lambert's book  are, in some cases, a bit distorted I assume due to the reproduction process so lots of re-drawing and more than a little trial and error - lots. anyway, this is as far as I am at this point. Haven't been able to spend long periods working on it due to my back giving me grief about sitting here hunched over bits of plastic... Ta for looking

vosper

• Like 5

I've given up on the Vosper at last. After five (or 6?) attempts at rebuilding the bridge with glasses that distort  - and I'm not so sure about the small set square I have neither it's quite twisted. Dunno how I screwed up quite so bad but I do believe I've spent enough time on it. Chalk it off as a learning experience...

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, seadog said:

I've given up on the Vosper at last. After five (or 6?) attempts at rebuilding the bridge with glasses that distort  - and I'm not so sure about the small set square I have neither it's quite twisted. Dunno how I screwed up quite so bad but I do believe I've spent enough time on it. Chalk it off as a learning experience...

Gidday, it seems a shame to discard it when you've done so much on it. If you're not happy with the accuracy of what you've done could you convert it into a whiff? I did that with my first attempt at making the destroyer HMS Hardy. I missed a lot of alterations I should have done until it was too late to do them, so I whiffed the build and started another much later. Just a thought.

Regards, Jeff.

25 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it seems a shame to discard it when you've done so much on it. If you're not happy with the accuracy of what you've done could you convert it into a whiff? I did that with my first attempt at making the destroyer HMS Hardy. I missed a lot of alterations I should have done until it was too late to do them, so I whiffed the build and started another much later. Just a thought.

Regards, Jeff.

A wreck on the mud at Southampton, maybe?

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

in the words of the philosopher K Rodgers "You gotta know when to walk away"

Now throw it away so that you can't later decide to make yourself miserable with it all over again.

Too right!

• Like 1

Easiest way to check a set square is...square is find a good edge for the fat bit, draw a line along the thin bit and then... turn it over and do it again!

If the drawn lines differ the set is not square.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Easiest way to check a set square is...square is find a good edge for the fat bit, draw a line along the thin bit and then... turn it over and do it again!

If the drawn lines differ the set is not square.

Tom

My Dad was an Automotive engineer...I was taught this but never checked it...*sigh*

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Don't bin it, just put it away. The day after the bin man collects (knowing this hobby) there'll be a 3D bridge structure out just begging to be fitted to that kit.

Tom

Vain hope :)

When I was 7 years old, my uncle, and he was 20, gave me a damaged model of a Japanese Zero fighter. Uncle glued very good copies of paper, buying magazines with patterns. Zero's hood and part of the wing were damaged. I was insanely happy to hold such an almost real plane in my hands. For my uncle it was a broken unnecessary thing, but for me it was a miracle! I myself diligently restored the broken parts, Glued and painted. This was my first experience in modeling.

Maybe your unfinished ship will please some child?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

When I was 7 years old, my uncle, and he was 20, gave me a damaged model of a Japanese Zero fighter. Uncle glued very good copies of paper, buying magazines with patterns. Zero's hood and part of the wing were damaged. I was insanely happy to hold such an almost real plane in my hands. For my uncle it was a broken unnecessary thing, but for me it was a miracle! I myself diligently restored the broken parts, Glued and painted. This was my first experience in modeling.

Maybe your unfinished ship will please some child?

A good uncle! My young relatives are into computers and things like that (of course) so handing it on isn't on the cards :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions and kind comments. I hope you all have a great Christmas Holiday! Here's my card to you - only just got it drawn and painted in time!

cardart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1