Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 4

A couple of small updates

Frame for boat hooks on the foredeck

P1070846 (Copy)

P1070847 (Copy)

P1070848 (Copy)

Working up the torpedoe tubes and associated bits . . .

P1070842 (Copy)

P1070843 (Copy)

P1070844 (Copy)

P1070845 (Copy)

Thank you for looking in and your continued support

Taking a leaf out of Julians book now off for a glass or two of (Yellow Tail) Jammy Red Roo

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6

Excellent work on the boathooks, flare launchers and Leweis guns Kev. You should make that standard procedure, a glass of wine to soothe the nerves after building :drink:

Nice brand "Yellow Tail", can get that in Holland too :eat:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

A bit of a Vrooom, vroom moment tonight. I got a little bit carried away . . . .

P1070850 (Copy)

P1070852 (Copy)

P1070853 (Copy)

P1070854 (Copy)

P1070855 (Copy)

P1070856 (Copy)

Thanks for humouring me

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 7

That is spectacular Kev, amazing how you have transformed the ancient Airfix model. This is what I had expected Italeri to release in 1/35 scale a couple of years ago instead of their very disappointing offering. I am curious to see this build with a coat of paint added. Keep the photos coming Kev :thumbsup:

Thank you guys for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

The time is fast approaching where I must join the hull to the deck and commence painting and this is where I need your help/thoughts.

I would like to conduct a straw poll

What are the best primers to use, specifically for the deck as the plastic seems slightly oily?

Also which one for the mixed media sub assemblies.

I have ' Simoniz acrylic primer ' and ' Mr primer surface 1000 ' but will get what you require ;-)

Top coats will be acrylic.

I do have an airbrush but remember the MAS boat was the first time I had used it.

Secondly, I'm sure you will be surprised to learn that the deck/hull join leaves a lot to be desired. I'm currently thinking of using Milliput but do you have any thoughts as I really don't want it cracking with handling?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts

Kev

Edited by longshanks

Morning Kev,

You shouldn't go far wrong with Alclad grey primer, it's a hot primer so should etch into plastic nicely.

It also covers resin and etch really well, having used it in the Spartan build I would recommend it.

As for the join in the deck, milliput should be fine and I don't think it will crack or flake off but that would depend on how much flex you have around the deck join. Perhaps some extra plastic card or rod to reduce the movement might help.

Dan

I had very bad experiences using the Alclad black primer. Gummed up my airbrush in a rather evil and nasty fashion. Might be a good idea to mention which needle size you are using :analintruder: I would recommend Vallejo acrylic primer, really magic stuff to airbrush or hairy stick :coolio: Also available in large selection of colours.

Depending on how bad the hull/deck join is might be an idea to stuff some Evergreen rod into the gap and then use milliput, (I also use a German brand of putty that dries very quickly and sands down smoothly. Designed for model railways), to finish filling before sanding down.

Just my :2c:

Edited by Gremlin56

Thanks for the prompt response mates

The join is such that I'm going to have to glue a bit leave it, glue a bit etc etc so I'm not really sure as to gap. The plastic rod sounds good though! Extra strength plus gap filling as I go, nice one!

Seems were at opposite ends of the scale with primer. On reflection Julian do you have any ideas as to what caused the problem?

Is the Alclad cellulose based and do I need to thin it for spraying.

At least with Vallejo I'm used to their paints, I assume they are similar to the primer in use.

I guess the jury is out, anyone else got any thoughts?

The airbrush I'm using is the Iwata Neo gravity feed dual action with a 0.35mm nozzle/needle.

Kev