Airfix Harrier GR9 1/72

not sure how you had the patience to mask all of those panels, but it was well worth the effort, fantastic model :)

I didn't mask them, that's how :) the only bits I masked were one side of the tiny light grey ring behind the nose cone and used the panel line the other side to paint to, and I masked up the tan on the leading edges- I used the 'hairy stick' so it was easier.

Thanks to all for the great comments

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello

Here is my first finished model of the year, the new tool Airfix Harrier. A great kit, very enjoyable to build. Only AM used was a Pavla seat which was very nice. I went for brush painting on this one, using Vallejo acrylics, then a few coats of Klear before decals, which were very good (Cartograph printed) and the stencils were very comprehensive, it was quite a few evening's work to get them all done. A couple of Klear coats after to seal them in and then it was some oil paint weathering, with some Tamiya Smoke airbrushed, all followed by Xtracolour's wonderful XDFF by airbrush. Perhaps the weathering may not be to everyone's taste, but Harriers do (did :weep: ) get very grubby! Anyway, here are some pictures, there's quite a few as it was nice and sunny- hope you enjoy.

60dpics091_zps1f79e549.jpg

60dpics090_zps20c20973.jpg

60dpics085_zps25b96369.jpg

60dpics084_zps95bc70d5.jpg

60dpics083_zps6716a635.jpg

60dpics082_zpsb62242b3.jpg

60dpics079_zps55da0763.jpg

60dpics075_zpse7723cd7.jpg

60dpics072_zps7f17636e.jpg

60dpics071_zps8a2b8702.jpg

60dpics068_zps43819366.jpg

Beautiful! Superb finish and subtle too, I've been tempted to finish one of these in the grey/grey schemes, I'd be very happy to get halfway to this standard!

Dave

Lovely job and one to be very proud of!

What kind of brushes did you use?

Dermot

I couldn't give names off the top of my head but I do use flat brushes for large flat areas, that's very important for a good finish, as is thinning the paint and doing 2 or 3 thin coats. I also tend to do brush strokes in the direction of the airflow so any streaking then looks like part of the weathering, hope that answers your question.

Thanks to all for the latest great comments

Cheers

Andy