B-24H Liberator

DannyB

Being at a bit of a lull I've decided it was about time I stopped painting everything grey so I'm planning on doing an old War bird. After telling SWMBO at the weekend she decided to help and browsed through a couple of Nose art books that I've got and has challenged me to recreate one of the Brinkman Zodiac B-24s, she wants Capricorn as it's her star sign ;) .

CAPRICORN3.JPG

Now the decals are easily available in both 1/48 and 1/72 from Kits world but I'm struggling to find the best kit to do it with!

Are there any kits out there dedicated to the H version or do I need a conversion? Ideally I want to build in 1/48 but really want to build the best kit I can get.

I suspect the only actual B-24H kit may be the 1/72 Academy one, which doesn't seem all that bad. If you want 1/48 it will have to be a Monogram one and a conversion, as that comes only as the B-24D or B-24J. I'm afraid I've no idea what conversions are available.

By the way, we Capricorns don't believe in all that astrology rubbish.

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 1

Are there any kits out there dedicated to the H version or do I need a conversion? Ideally I want to build in 1/48 but really want to build the best kit I can get.

Monogram. The 'J' kit seems harder to get, not sure if it got re-popped by Revell, I read the tooling got changed to a the B-24D version. They do turn up though.

Anyway, for what is curently available, Bill Koster does a B24H nose kit, but it includes 38 vacform [32 in clear] 15 resin, 11 metal and decals, $44.95 plus shipping from the US., $8.50

I presume some of the otehr parts are detail parts and corrected turrets, the Mono splits the glazing so there is a line in the turret glazing...

Maybe that a D model will work fine with the above, you may wish to ask.

Bill Koster , info on what's available, cost [pdf download] and contact details are here

http://www.swannysmodels.com/KostersKorner.html

HTH

T

Being at a bit of a lull I've decided it was about time I stopped painting everything grey so I'm planning on doing an old War bird. After telling SWMBO at the weekend she decided to help and browsed through a couple of Nose art books that I've got and has challenged me to recreate one of the Brinkman Zodiac B-24s, she wants Capricorn as it's her star sign ;) .

CAPRICORN3.JPG

Now the decals are easily available in both 1/48 and 1/72 from Kits world but I'm struggling to find the best kit to do it with!

The B-24H and B-24J models were externally almost identical. Some early -Hs had inward-opening nose wheel doors, although the majority had the modified outward-opening doors. You will want to check your photo references to be sure.

In 1/72, the best kit is the Hasegawa. It's devilishly expensive, but good deals show up from time to time. It is certainly the only B-24 which has an accurately-portrayed Emerson turret in any scale, let alone 1/72. (the Monogram kit has an accurate shape, but is split down the middle, almost identical to the Academy kit in 1/72 scale, although without the accuracy in shape of the larger Monogram turret) The Academy series are essentially the same basic fuselage, with different noses to suit the version. IIRC, the -H kit has the proper nose fairing for the Consolidated A-6 turret, while the -J has a nose fairing more appropriate to the Emerson turret (which you must use for the -H, as all -Hs originally came from the factory with Emerson nose turrets, whereas -Js came with both Emerson and Consolidated nose turrets) (although, quixotically enough, the only truly accurately-shaped Emerson nose fairing is on the ancient Airfix kit!!!???)

I could be talked into building the Academy kit in its -D incarnation, but I would still be using the High Planes (ex Ron' Resins) B-24 engine conversion pieces, and a Squadron clear-vax set to replace that simply awful rear turret. But for any nose-turreted variant, Hasegawa is the clear winner. Hands down...

In 1/48th, you have only one choice - the Monogram kit. It's the only game in town, but again, there is no 'conversion' kit necessary to differentiate the -H from the -J...

Have fun!

Byron

The Academy B-24H is really a B-24J. The B-24H is a Ford built B-24 and the most noticeable feature is the Ford nose. The bombardier's window is angled back rather than going straight down. There is also the 'S' fairing to cover the join between the fuselage and the turret assembly/bombardier's window.

Not a B-24H, but it shows the angled back bombardier's window.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/regornotpul/5592824715/

Compare with the B-24J Consolidated nose. The Academy B-24H has this nose. 500px by Garret Vreeland site.

http://500px.com/photo/6553921

B-24H kit review from CyberHobby;

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca..._aca_1693.shtml

B-24H clear parts. Note the nose piece. It's on the middle of the right side.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca...1693_parts4.jpg

ARC thread on the 1/72 B-24, including fitting the Academy B-24M Ford nose to the Hasegawa B-24 kit. Also shows the difference between the Ford nose with the Consolidated nose.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air...howtopic=161906

Short thread at 72nd Aircraft on the Ford nose. Similar pictures to the thread above.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/...p?showtopic=725

A nice review of the Academy and Hasegawa kits from FSM;

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subje...296/974573.aspx

Cutting Edge conversion for reference. Not perfect.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/FordNose.html

Kits-World 1/72 decal sheet. KW172017 Zodiac Squadron Set 1

http://www.euromodelnews.net/nwsIndex.php?...9f1fdd141f973b5

Hope that this helps. Sorry that the options are so limited and rather expensive.

Best wishes,

Grant

As an interesting aside, if you want to get a good handle on the multitude of changes to the B-24 production line, I highly recommend the aptly titled book Consolidated Mess. It is loaded with side views that go to great lengths to explain the differences in the turret nosed B-24. While I knew there were many, it is astounding to see the extensive changes the aircraft went thru. It really is "the work" on the B-24 in my opinion.

Mark Proulx

Wow! Cheers for all the useful information guys, this will be a huge help. I'm watching a couple of pieces on the ebay at the moment including a 1/48 monogram B-24D and a Koster conversion set so I'll see how it goes. :D

The lady might just have to wait! :lol:

I just finished building the 1/48 B-24J and there are no major build issues, but I know of no other 1/48 B-24 other than the Revell/Monogram B-24D and J. Both have just been reissued with the D model the latest reissue. Both are available here in the US and are fairly inexpensive. Need to have a bit of display space though, builds slightly large in this scale.

Sorry, did mean to add Academy/Minicraft did some Zodiac B-24 models in 1/72. Do not know if it included a Capricorn model. I have seen the Leo version at one of my local shops gathering dust. If youi want could check to see if they also have the Capricorn.

Cheers George, that's really helpful. They seem to be in rather short supply over here but knowing they have been reissued in the US could lead to get one shipped over. I've checked out the 1/72 Zodiacs and they don't do a Capricorn out of the box but ironically the decals that I thought were going to be the tough to get part of all this are actually really easy to get hold of in both 1/48 and 1/72! :lol:

If you've just finished a 1/48 B24 I'd love to see the pictures!

Did not take any pictures during the build as I did it at work. Will bring the camera to work and take some finished pictures. Just built it straight out of the box with PYN-UP decals for a book club meeting a while back. Try and get those up tonight.

Okay, never have posted pictures before, followed the instructions using photobucket as per the FAQ and everytime I try to post a picture I get a message that the administrator does not allow photos from this web site. Any clues as to what I need to do?

Awesome looking bird, nice one george! Thanks for putting the pictures up. This will definitely go on my projects to-do list after seeing what can be done with this kit. :D

• 1 year later...

Nice work! I am amidst my own B-24D build project in 1/48 - extensively detailing with my own PE and a generous helping of impact white polystyrene. You can follow along on www.thescalereview.com. Feel free to comment and/or contribute. Cheers! Brian

Hi Don :)

I actually managed to get my hands on an original Academy/Minicraft Zodiac B-24H which is currently sitting in the stash waiting for me to pick up the appropriate Capricorn decals. Having felt the kit over I'm probably going to invest in the squadron vac-form canopies as the clear parts in the box are pretty thick and crude, but other than that it's a cracking kit and really the only one out there for a 24H.

If you want the best kit to do it with, the only choice is the Hasegawa in 1/72. It is excellent and does have most basic variants as options (if with occasional detail errors).

The second choice is the Academy, but something is wrong with the engine nacelles (too small I think).

Unfortunately the Monogram 1/48 offering is not really a choice no matter what after-market you put on it: The word Quality and this kit do no belong in the same sentence.

J.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks, I'm contemplating a B-24H build as a contribution to a memorial for the crew of the Hookem Cow, a Liberator that crashed near Horsham St. Faith in 1945. I've read this article with interest as it seems there are some challenges building an H.

Summarizing, it seems there are the following challenges on both the Hasegawa as well as the Academy kits:

- Bombardier window not angled backward.

- S-shape behind turret not present.

From reviews and photos I also doubt whether either kit includes the correct turret or the bulged side windows behind the turret, I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm this.

Do you know which was the correct turret and nose shape, windows etc for the example you are making? The serial will probably suffice for that. It is not as simple as an H vs a J, as there are different build standards on both. There is a book "Consolidated Mess" from MMP, that is dedicated to sorting all this out.

EDIT; Thanks for the correct name, Troy. No excuse: the book was on the shelf behind me all the time.

Edited by Graham Boak