Light Aircraft Grey

Colin W

Hi

I have to spray a 1/48 Hercules in Light Aircraft Grey so to get a good finish I reckon a spray bomb is the way to go. Does anyone have a recommendation for which Halfords grey is closest to RAF light Aircraft Grey?

Many thanks

Colin

I've had a look through all the colour books 1,000's of paints and I've not found a match for LAG, there is a chance I could have missed it if it was there as I was going bog eyed my the time I got to the end. I thought Ford dove grey may be OK but it's a quite a brown cast to it. Ford Polar Grey is more like Medium sea grey and the primer tends to be more like dark sea/ ocean grey. I wish there was a good match but as yet no car/van manufacturer dose a vehicle in Light Aircraft grey :(

John

Hi

I have to spray a 1/48 Hercules in Light Aircraft Grey so to get a good finish I reckon a spray bomb is the way to go. Does anyone have a recommendation for which Halfords grey is closest to RAF light Aircraft Grey?

Many thanks

Colin

Have a look at Halfords rattle can 'Racking Grey' which is usually shelved to one side of the actual car colour paints. I've used this for Viscount props recently and it is a nice light gloss grey but not sure how close to LAG, depends what you are comparing it to really. Some of the modelling paints can be a bit off the actual clour.

Have a look at Halfords rattle can 'Racking Grey' which is usually shelved to one side of the actual car colour paints. I've used this for Viscount props recently and it is a nice light gloss grey but not sure how close to LAG, depends what you are comparing it to really. Some of the modelling paints can be a bit off the actual clour.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've not seen that one I'll take a look today.

John

The grey primer is a actually a great match for Medium sea grey!

Selwyn

It was up until about 6 years ago, now it's closer to Ocean Grey but not quite blue enough! The number of models I've sprayed and then resprayed again because I've not noticed a thin coat because of the primer is quite high!

I was told some years back by Geoff B that Halfords will mix the colour if you give them the FS number. Don't know if they still do that and it's apparently twice the price of a standard can.

I'm still miffed that they discontinued Fiat Azure Blue, because it was an almost bang on match for Extra Dark Sea Grey!

Few that I found over the years in the Halfords range:

Rover Sand Glow = RAF Mid Stone

Fiat Broom Yellow = RAF Trainer Yellow

Gloss Aluminium = ideal for 72nd RAF types in silver

Cheers Guys

My Local Halfords doesn't have the racking grey or VW so I've got a can of Ford Polar grey and will give that a shot.

Thanks Wooksta for sharing your previous experience.

Colin

I just called into my local Halfords to pick up a can of 'Racking Grey' - but it is their enamels range (blue cans), not acrylic.

Ken

Me too, I've just given it a try out and although it's not a BS match as it's slightly lighter than LAG it's a good light grey and as far as I'm concerned it'll do for me, as they say "it close enough for government work" it dose say Enamels but it drys very quickly with a very nice gloss finish. I also see they now do "Camouflage colours" they look close to, Dark Green, Dark Earth, Black and a much darker brown. these are described as ultra mat but the colours look good. the price is £7.99 but if it's a colour you use a lot its good value.

John

It was up until about 6 years ago, now it's closer to Ocean Grey but not quite blue enough! The number of models I've sprayed and then resprayed again because I've not noticed a thin coat because of the primer is quite high!

I was told some years back by Geoff B that Halfords will mix the colour if you give them the FS number. Don't know if they still do that and it's apparently twice the price of a standard can.

I'm still miffed that they discontinued Fiat Azure Blue, because it was an almost bang on match for Extra Dark Sea Grey!

Few that I found over the years in the Halfords range:

Rover Sand Glow = RAF Mid Stone

Fiat Broom Yellow = RAF Trainer Yellow

Gloss Aluminium = ideal for 72nd RAF types in silver

If you can get the Fiat paint code for that Azure blue shade Halfords can pull the mixing instructions from their terminal and mix it for you.

-and BL Beaver was a good match for Dark Earth as I remember.

David.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've not seen that one I'll take a look today.

John

It's in a smaller can with a blue body and quite a bit cheaper than the car colours. Looking at the actual colour, it is extremely close to Xtracrylic LAG but again, is that correct?