1/24 Airfix Fw 190 A?

While I await some bits for the Stuka from overseas I broke open the Anton. The plan is to just concentrate on doing exterior detailing and have a bit of fun painting. Much like i did with the Hurricane I built at the start of the year.

Not too sure which exact kind of Anton yet but leaning towards an A6.

Have started work on the major panels, thinning edges and sanding & fettling to get a better fit but I obsessed on the ETC 501 and got it finished less paint.

FW190etc50101.jpg

FW190etc50102.jpg

Hope you like. Itching to get back to work on the Berta....

Dan

Progress;

Done a fair bit of fettling and dry fitting of the major parts. So far so good.

FW190overallfit.jpg

FW190overallfit01.jpg

Major problems in the front on top of the cowl just at the gun troughs( hope to fix it with some major shims). I'll need some shims at the front of the wing roots and on the belly at the back of the wing joint. Pretty good really for such an old kit. Cockpit fits in from the bottom but the wings needed a whopping great big brass spar to get some dihedral going. Shudder to think of how I'm going to get the landing gear to have that threefold angle right but I'll worry about that later.

Most of the rest of my time is on thinning edges down and drilling out vents and the like.

FW190bellythinning.jpg

Starting to put the exhaust in from squished ali tube.

FW190newexhaust.jpg

All good so far and trucking right along.

Woody and Mottlemaster--Glad you like Anton so far. I'll see if I can keep up the good work.

Steve--You're too kind. Don't know what kind of reference this old lump will end up. Just hope to have some fun with this old kit and get some practice in painting.

Thanks for dropping in for a look see.

Dan

WOW, this is looking to be the best build of this model yet!

How are you going to tackle the famous Engine assembley length issue?

Are you going to miss out the oval peice inbetween the engine mounts?

I'm extremely interested in how you get on with this Fw-190A!

One of my favourite airplanes, think Trumpeter is releasing a 24th of the A6 this year?

Great job so far by the way!

Hope I can keep you interested Radleigh :)

Silverstone2-- You are too kind Sir. I'm not going to do much detailing of the engine as such as I'm concentrating on the exterior details and paint for this build.

I've started to assemble and clean up the engine parts and I have managed to lop off about 1.5mm out of the engine block between the cylinder rows. From what I've

read I need to take out another 4ish mm to get the fan to sit right inside the cowling. Need to play around with the engine bearers and see if I can get about that much

without making new ones. Priority goes to getting the exhaust done first. I'll post pics as soon as I have something worked out.

I'm not too fussed with Trumpeter kits. I like the way that Airfix have managed the surface detail and shapes on all these old kits.

I just wish there were replacement resin wheels for all the yucky rubber ones. I'm going to have to make holds and cast some up for the Stuka....

Dan

Mr. Rutman cast me up some of his magic.

Antonresinparts.jpg

Got em in the post today and I'm stoked! Just need to build up a gear bay and insert all the bits and away I go.

The gear legs have brass rod in em to give strength. Nice work Mr. Rutman you are both a gentleman and a craftsman of high caliber.

I'm looking over my references and I think my exhausts are a bit too small... in two minds as to how or if I'll make them bigger.

I want to tackle the three cowl flaps this weekend too. I'm also playing around with using my new laser printer to heat transfer resists to make home made photo etching.

More later if it all works as advertised. All that and a hobby swap meet on Sunday. Looks to be a top weekend!

Dan

Not much to report as I spent much of the weekend trying to etch bits of brass :(

Also at SWMBO request(order) started to clean up the man cave.

mancave02.jpg

mancave03.jpg

mancave01.jpg

Got my old eMac up and running and working with the new laser printer so more etching awaits.

Fw-190 got a new exhaust pipe, tricky sucker as lots had to be hacked out to make room for it.

bellyexhaust.jpg

Started work on the cowl flaps;

cowlflaps.jpg

cowlflaps01.jpg

cowlflaps02.jpg

But on looking at these pics I may just rip it all out and do it again. Concept worked but execution pretty poor :(

Forgot to curve the lone flap and the others not too straight. Need to sleep on it before deciding.

Heaps more to do but will have to wait.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

A thread I'll follow with utmost interest Dan!How do you like the venerable Airfix Anton?I never had the chance to have one and if we'll wait for the announced Trumpeter release I think we'll starve like the horse that was waiting for the grass to grow!I better get a move on and get myself one!

A modeler can literally go to town detailwise with such a big Wurger.

Those rivets would look more realistic with a coat of primer...I'll leave the sanding dust inside them and fix it with future or Alclad primer....done that on a 1/32 Trumpeter Schwalbe on which I even fuilled up the panelmlines in a way that they could only be "guessed" and I loved the end result!

Hope to see more soon!

Manu

Nice build so far, this is a hard kit to do it justice.

I have one which when I get the time and guts to start it will be made as a NC 900 the French version they used these after the war.

Paul

Progress;

Started work in the cockpit, filled those blinking sink holes in the prop and did the other side of the cowl flaps.

cockpit02.jpg

Really thinned the canopy retract and added an emergency jettison lever.

cockpit01.jpg

Started to add rivet detail to the underside of the fuselage with a tiny round Dremel ball cutter. ( The kits rivets get real soft on the top and bottom of the fuselage, molding limitations I think.)

Just started mucking about with the engine.

Jacksdad64-- I was concerned that if i mess with the engine too much I'd never get this built. Started to play around with it and it's quite nice.

Manu-- Love it. not to fussed with the rivets as they are quite small. Be better if they had a more stressed skin look and were circles rather than dots but you take what you get. I'm blessed with a nice bungalow to weak off to. One of the main reasons we bought this house was a big detached bungalow.

Paul--Ohh, French scheme. Neato idea! Get building I'd love to see it.

Dan

Progress;

IPandStep.jpg

Thinned the IP and added some bitza. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to use for instruments as the ones from Eduard aren't up to scratch. Might have to order the decal ones and go with them as I've wasted a fair bit of time today seeing if I could use the kit glass piece now that I've thinned the IP. Sigh, a bit more thought might have saved me some work. I'm also considering printing some onto clear acetate then flipping it around and painting the back white(old school). Fixed up the step with some pinned brass and the kit part. Doing a lot of cleaning up of parts and test fitting but not much else to show.

Dan

Progress; (If you don't count going half blind cutting tiny bits of brass tube.)

hinge.jpg

Just wanted to do some hinge detail as not much offered in the kit. Lots more done around the kit but nothing much to take pics of...

Only two more hinges to go. 'Bout had it trying to cut all those 2.5mm bits of brass tube....

I use four of the smallest cable stays I could get at the local mega hardware store.

bracket.jpg

The hardest bit is getting all four at exactly the some height. Takes some buggering about but you can get it done. With some glass shelves cut by the local glazer all up a few dollars a shelf.

Lets me double the display. IHTH.

Dan

Dan,

exquisite work so far matey,but I'd suggest you,if I may and since you're still in time,to swap the brass inverted-U shaped thingy for a flat one,in fact it was a D-shaped piece of sheet metal that separated three switches/buttons from the other three!You're doing such a good job and the kit's cockpit's so prominent that you mat want to really go to town with it!

We all take part to your effort...in fact your comments are what fueled up my will after a long time!

Cheers

Manu

Edited by Canuck63