Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious

Just a couple of photos of the new model of HMS Illustrious from Airfix. Not sure when it is due for release but it is a lovely model to build.

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF1994.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF1989.jpg

The model was built for Airfix and was built striaght from the box, a full feature of the build will appear in a future issue of SMMI.

Korean.

Edited by korean

Nice!!! l was at some point going to scratchbuild this one in 1/350 but this saves me the trouble though l hear its a bit pricy

£49.99 from Hannants.

Although not usually a builder of ships, I may have to buy this one as I sailed on it for a few months in 2001/2002. Now does anyone know where I can get 1/350th Chinooks.

I believe WEM have Chinooks for sale on their site.

I believe WEM have Chinooks for sale on their site.

You'd be right in believing, loads of different types of 350th scale choppers including Chinooks, Merlins and Lynx!

Adam

You'd be right in believing, loads of different types of 350th scale choppers including Chinooks, Merlins and Lynx!

Adam

Thanks for that, only Chinooks required as that is all she sailed with on deck.

Edited by Jabba

That, and if it's not Mr Boeings 40 man contra-rotating death bannana; it's not a real helicopter!! FACT!

They're quite good at carrying dead Sea Kings too.

Chinook.jpg

Mmm, never built a ship before, but that looks a good platform, I presume the likes of WEM are busy making detail sets?

Dan

WEM do indeed already have something on the way, both for the ship and air group.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for that, only Chinooks required as that is all she sailed with on deck.

I was amongst a group of squaddies who were almost blown over the stern of an Invincible Class carrier (I think it was the Lusty but cannot remember?) by the rotor downdraught of a Chinook which we had to temporarily vacate when it landed on the aft heli spot for a `hot' refuelling whilst conveying us during Ex Purple Warrior in 1987.....it was a bit dodgy and I believe the Chinook was banned from the after spot soon after this?

Lovely model too, I may have to get one of these,

All the best

Tony O

• 4 weeks later...