Aeroclub 1/48th Vulcan - Update 30th August

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

If I had the cash spare I would buy one ( I was secretly just a little tincy wincy bit tempted at SMW last year, but Kate would have given me a new high pitched voice).

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Aw, mein Gawd, Jonners! Me's got tears runnin' down 'em cheeks 'n' all... :rofl:

Watch the intakes as they are handed

:blink2: How d'ya tell the right intake from the left one in the kit? I did notice that the spliter plate runs deeper on one of the intake's inner side, but dunno whether it's the upper or lower side of it. Also, one of the intake's surfaces has got an increased taper on it, compared to the other one.

:blink2: How d'ya tell the right intake from the left one in the kit? I did notice that the spliter plate runs deeper on one of the intake's inner side, but dunno whether it's the upper or lower side of it. Also, one of the intake's surfaces has got an increased taper on it, compared to the other one.

Get in touch with John Aero(via PM) - on here, he designed, made and produced all the kits, I was in contact with him yesterday

:blink: Oh? Thank ye, ray! Will sure do that. Didn't know Mr Aero was a member on this forum.

No problems, I have just double checked and he is listed under the "J"s in the members list, page 35.................you can link straight to him. He is a pretty busy guy, so not sure how soon you will get your reply. But, reply he will.........

My Vulcan sometimes has the potential to become the Atlantis of the model fraternity. The story is quite simple. It started as a Joke! I can't remember where, but after we had produced some very successful Fighter mixed media vacs a small group of us were throwing ideas around for future subjects and one derisory suggestion (probably by Paul Molloy) that came up was the Vulcan.

I had served on a Vulcan Squadrons for almost seven years at the heart of the Cold War.of which my abiding memory of them is that they were bl++dy useful when it rained.

After a series of liquid filled snorts and common expletives we moved on. However something coalesced and this started a train of thought, and then a discussion with another friend and pattern maker the talented Brian Fawcett as to how it might best be achieved. Airfix had done the Vulcan and so I started the serious research and my contacts at Airfix with whom I have long had a Quid pro quo relationship, kindly supplied some drawings and I sourced other material elsewhere. Also we had a Vulcan at the wonderful Newark Air Museum.

Brian set to work and I proceeded coordinate and to plan the moulds. At an early stage I knew that it was too large for my vacformer, so an approach was made to another friend, Gretchen, and she had the right machine in her factory.

So, we were running to a very tight timeline as we had to have it ready for the IPMS Nationals. Early on it was apparent it was going to be an expensive beast and the retail price was going to be around a £120.00. I thought that this was too high, so I discussed the wholesale profit margin with my main buyers (Hannants) and they agreed to a lower profit amount and so did I, so we got the price down to the £99. I seem to recall making one of the metal moulds about three days before the Castle Donington show.

One reason the panel lines tend to be faint on some mouldings is too few vent holes. I pre-build vents into my moulds and when the went into production it was clear more were needed due to the thickness and hardness of the moulds they were awful to drill and after more broken drills than holes and all the usual tricks like measured back drilling with larger drills, I left it at that as time ran out. Paul Molloy built the prototype and he sanded the parts down in the bath as there was so much dust. He never explained whether this was over the bath or whilst taking the waters!

My late wife Angela was asked to deliver the IPMS after dinner talk that year and her humorous p*ss take of our various production trials was reckoned by many to have been most memorable.

Production was fixed at 200 (instead of our usual 500) as I didn't think we would sell the required amount. In a way I was right because I sold the last 12 nearly 2 years later. The moulds were put into store and as space eventually squeezed them to my garage they ended up at the back of a rockery at my old home (Silverwood).

After Angela died and I had met Clare, we eventually moved house. I excavated the moulds and ejected the various wildlife and they moved here. so they still exist. but I definitely have no plans to resurrect them.

John

Edited

• Like 6

John it IS the Atlantis of the modelling fraternity.

I for one would pre fund my one if you would repop it. Maybe enough others on here would too to make it worth your while? Isn't that what crowdfunding is all about?

• Like 2

I would love to see this kit re-released.

Seeing my dad build it years ago and finished model, I know it's an absolute beauty.

I imagine if you did do another run, you'd have plenty of takers.

Pretty please..?

Tom

• Like 1

No problems, I have just double checked and he is listed under the "J"s in the members list, page 35.................you can link straight to him. He is a pretty busy guy, so not sure how soon you will get your reply. But, reply he will.........

:analintruder: Wow, ray, just take a good look at whut ya brought 'bout with yer post. Thanks once again, my mate!

The story is quite simple. It started as a Joke! I can't remember where, but after we had produced some very successful Fighter mixed media vacs a small group of us were throwing ideas around for future subjects and one derisory suggestion (probably by Paul Molloy) that came up was the Vulcan.

How're ya doin,' Mr Aero, sir? An enormous pleasure to meet ya. :worthy:

It's quite an interestin' story whut ya retell here. I've heard a lot 'bout the story of the Aeroclub Vulcan kit but ne'er would I have ever thought it all started out as a joke. So glad it did! Unfortunately for me, I actually came to learn 'bout the kit back in 2010, when it was already too late in order to get one directly from ya.

I first read 'bout the kit on thescale.info webpage; judgin' by the pictures posted there, I could very well tell that it was a very accurate kit, shapeways speakin,' so the urge to get one started itchin' on my skin like mad, all the more so after havin' read 2006's Rowland White excellent book on the XM607.

So, we were running to a very tight timeline as we had to have it ready for the IPMS Nationals. Early on it was apparent it was going to be an expensive beast and the retail price was going to be around a £120.00. I thought that this was too high, so I discussed the wholesale profit margin with my main buyers (Hannants) and they agreed to a lower profit amount and so did I, so we got the price down to the £99. I seem to recall making one of the metal moulds about three days before the Castle Donington show.

Production was fixed at 200 (instead of our usual 500) as I didn't think we would sell the required amount. In a way I was right because I sold the last 12 nearly 2 years later. The moulds were put into store and as space eventually squeezed them to my garage they ended up at the back of a rockery at my old home (Silverwood).

Well, £120.00 is certainly nuthin' compared to whut I had to pay for mine! :lol: Lost a biddin' once for one kit which was published on evilbay, 'n' it was for a very close margin. Then I was lucky enough to get one from a member on this forum, for which I pay dearly... :mental: £600.00 includin' shippin' from the UK down to Argentina. All in all, I still don't regret a single quid I paid for it, 'cause it's one of the greatest kits I've seen out there. I get to secretly cuddle 'n' kiss my Vulcan kit whene'er my other half is out. :wub:

Incidentally, did ya eva happen to learn whether there was a kit sold to any South American modeller out of those 200 produced? Ne'er seen one bein' built on either a Spanish or Portuguese-spoken forum.

I also got hold of one of yer Aeroclub's 1/48 Lightnin' T.5 multimedia conversion sets 'n' it's just awesome. Always wondered why there has ne'er been a 1/48 Hunter T.7 conversion set by Aeroclub.

Wrappin' it up now, I hereby thank ye so very much for yer reply, John, 'n' I'm way too grateful to Aeroclub for havin' devised the 1/48 Vulcan kit. I was just havin' a bit of trouble tellin' the right engine intake from the left one, but surely that's just me for bein' a tad stupid, I guess. :undecided: Is there a way to sort it out that y'd know of?

Cheers, John! :cheers:

P.S: Anythin' ya've recently learnt 'bout yer colleague, Mr Gerald Elliott's future releasement of the Sanger vac-form 1/48 Vulcan example?

Indeed! :frantic:However, if the new price was under £200.00, I would feel a lil' bit flabbergasted.

I've had up to 3 of the beasties at different times. Today I retain 2. My original I purchased eons ago for $250 USD complete and unstarted. The 2nd one I also have I purchased as a partially started kit through a hobby shop in Toronto. It only cost me (I think) $50 CDN but unfortunately it was started by what I can only describe as a real hack. I think it is missing a couple of smaller items. Not wanting to stick a poker in Mr. John Aero but the kit would probably sell out no problem if it was resurrected post excavation. I wonder how many could have been sold when XH-558 was still churning up the atmosphere? The 2 I have definitely need re-scribing.

Cheers,

Tom

Always wondered why there has ne'er been a 1/48 Hunter T.7 conversion set by Aeroclub.

There is an Aeroclub Hunter T7 conversion in 1/48!

But it isn't a whole lot more common than the Aeroclub Vulcan nowadays.

Heritage Aviation do a resin trainer conversion in1/48 for the Hunter.

Seeing my dad build it years ago and finished model, I know it's an absolute beauty.

Pretty please..?

Tom

Come on join in with me . .do it .. do it ..do it ! !

There is an Aeroclub Hunter T7 conversion in 1/48!

Heritage Aviation do a resin trainer conversion in1/48 for the Hunter.

Is there...? :hmmm: D'ya happen to have any piccies of it, by chance, please?

Yeh, I've got two T.7 conversion sets from Heritage Aviation, but was sorta wonderin' how Aeroclub's was, if there was one, of course.

Come on join in with me . .do it .. do it ..do it ! !

:lol: Is that Ben Stiller in Starsky & Hutch...?

JawohlWantsSomeDinkel.jpg