1/32 RB-51 "Red Baron" racing Mustang

turnerdad

Calling this project done, took 1 and a half years on and off. I'll be writing a full indepth build article for the new Military In Scale aircraft mag sometime soon if anyone wants to know how to build models like this. It was one hell of a plane, visionary. I know it's not covered in Swastikas or bristling with guns, bombs, rockets etc and isn't grey or green but I'm proud of it, definitely the best thing I've ever made, and will no doubt take pride of place in a box in my attic...

Thanks for all the nice comments through the build, definitely helped keeping me going, and thanks too for the interest at SMW. Nice to meet some of you. And for those who dismissed it as being "too clean" and not realistic, if you think I should start pre-shading, adding oil leaks and vast swathes of exhaust staining then think again. look up pics of these racers on the net. Rant over but it had to be said, sorry.

RedBaronalldone0004.jpg

RedBaronalldone0003.jpg

RedBaronalldone0001.jpg

RedBaronalldone0002.jpg

RedBaronalldone0007.jpg

RedBaronalldone0005.jpg

RedBaronalldone0006.jpg

RedBaronalldone0010.jpg

I had a load of photetched fasteners (well small discs really) without a fret to ease their use, drilled holes and glued them in at the right depth using punched out plastic discs to bring all the holes to the same depth, if you see what I mean.

RedBaronalldone0008.jpg

RedBaronalldone0009.jpg

Oh, and incase anyone thinks I'm super organised etc, here is my workshop on my return from SMW yesterday. Mmm...the product of a few late nights!

RedBaronalldone0011.jpg

Cheers all.

PS when is the new mag out please?

Thanks. Not sure when the new mag is out, but the one with the Baron won't be out till early next year I reckon unless I get really organised, but I'll do it soon. Good thing about posting here, I can go back and use the build threads as reference. Result!

That's a beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft. I always enjoy your 'WIP' threads and the final pics really do blow me away. Your models are in a league of their own. I think this is your best yet, but I wonder what you'll pull off next?!? I didn't manage to get to the nationals myself, but I think I saw a photo of your Red Baron racer with a gold award tag on it. Is that correct?

Oh arsing eff and eff, I thought that was your model at SMW - it looked superb too, but my camera batteries died before I could shoot it. Damn - did you come to the BM stand and say hi? eff if you did and i wasnt there.

Love this model , and followed the thread too. I feel like a heel now.

with apols

Jonners

That's a beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft. I always enjoy your 'WIP' threads and the final pics really do blow me away. Your models are in a league of their own. I think this is your best yet, but I wonder what you'll pull off next?!? I didn't manage to get to the nationals myself, but I think I saw a photo of your Red Baron racer with a gold award tag on it. Is that correct?

Thanks Ant, yup that was the one. I thought the overall standard of the comp was very good, lovely Bucc, probably the model I would liked to have walked off with! (that or the Halifax-flip).

Absolutely bloody fantastic :thumbsup:

I had to restrain myself from drooling over it at Telford, definitely the star of the show for me. Just a shame I didn't get to tell you that in person....maybe next year ;)

Stunning :)

Oh arsing eff and eff, I thought that was your model at SMW - it looked superb too, but my camera batteries died before I could shoot it. Damn - did you come to the BM stand and say hi? eff if you did and i wasnt there.

Love this model , and followed the thread too. I feel like a heel now.

with apols

Jonners

Cheers Jon, I did stop by the stand but it was really busy with several groups in deep discussion so I chickened out, planned to go back on the Sunday but my car broke down outside my hotel in the morning and I didn't get back to the show till later, and kept bumping into people I seem to meet at the shows, you know how it is, then began to run out of spending time etc-got some nice armour stuff, including a Tasca Firefly at a very reasonable price :yahoo: I'll be going to the Milton Keynes show, that's my favourite show tbh. Hope to see you there maybe.

Absolutely bloody fantastic :thumbsup:

I had to restrain myself from drooling over it at Telford, definitely the star of the show for me. Just a shame I didn't get to tell you that in person....maybe next year ;)

Stunning :)

Thanks Sean. Going to Modelfest though in Feb (I think). Good to say hi.

A stunning job. I was lucky to see it at Telford.

As for weathering and all that, did they not polish these to a high gloss sheen so they would slip through the air??

Looked bloody good to me.

Julien

Calling this project done, took 1 and a half years on and off. I'll be writing a full indepth build article for the new Military In Scale aircraft mag sometime soon if anyone wants to know how to build models like this.

..nope, don't suppose I could if I spent 10 years on it...congratulations, fabulous work !

What's the hair dryer used for ..?

"And for those who dismissed it as being "too clean" and not realistic, if you think I should start pre-shading, adding oil leaks and vast swathes of exhaust staining then think again. look up pics of these racers on the net".

Well, That sums up this hobby in a nutshell. What is it with these A-holes who go round spewing absolute man-vegetables. Just goes to show ignorance is certainly thriving in the model world. :angrysoapbox.sml:

All I can say is this - That has got to be one of the best models I have ever clapped eyes on. Superb!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Cheers,

Bob

I agree with Bob, and had I anything to do with it, you would have got best in show to go with your gold!

It was a real pleasure to meet you at last, although I think I failed spectacularly in getting across just how beautiful I think your model is :wub::wub:

I also had a go at a bloke in the comp area who was muttering about it being too shiny, the real things are polished to within an inch of their lives, and ridiculously clean. There is absolutely no room for weathering on a model like this one, and I for one have less than no time for all this scale gloss rubbish.

Anyway, I digress. You rock, and so does your Mustang :worthy::worthy:

Jen.

Thanks all, and thanks Bob and Jen for that. I do find some peoples opinions bizarre sometimes, as if there is no place for polished models, or such a thing as a well kept and clean aeroplane. However, I feel a weathering project coming on, what to do next? I should probably try and finish one of my 3 part completed builds, but that might be too alien to me...

Edited by turnerdad

Had similar conversation with someone whilst judging - they obviously spend more time around models than real aeroplanes...

Even in my lowly world of flying we *always* clean the aeroplane after flight - and some of the aircraft in the hangars really are immaculate.

In the stratospheric world of unlimited air racers they really are clean and very shiny - your Red Baron is spot on IMHO.

Just wish I could get a finish like that (will experiment with some two pack at some point).

Nice to meet you - hope I didn't make you jump when I accosted you as you put the model on display!

Was certainly best in show for me and a real treat/inspiration to see!

A thing of very great beauty and jewel like in it's execution - a real inspiration - fantastic...

Keep 'em coming :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I couldn't make it to SMW, was gutted.

I've been around a good few websites reading about the show and all mention the "Red Baron", certainly a big hit.

I have to say I totally agree, she looks lovely, quite right to be pristine as well, she's a beauty..

Excellent

And for those who dismissed it as being "too clean" and not realistic, if you think I should start pre-shading, adding oil leaks and vast swathes of exhaust staining then think again. look up pics of these racers on the net. Rant over but it had to be said, sorry.

Too clean?? It's too bl**dy dirty if anything - the crew chief should have his ar*e kicked for not getting that smidgeon of exhaust stain polished off..... :blah::bleh::D

Seriously Nick, that comes as close to perfection as any model I've ever seen! And I'm with Jen, I really don't think there was anything to touch it in the comp & it should definitely have been 'Best in Show'. I posted that somewhere else, & wondered why they still haven't introduced a 'People's Choice' award, even if just among IPMS members. I suggested it on the IPMS forum after the fallout about voting when Voodoo failed to get an award that they think about introducing one & they said they'd think about it, but nothings happened. I'm sure if there had been one, given the wait to get anywhere near Red Baron it would have been odds on favourite!

Whatever, it was certainly my Best in Show!

Absolutely gorgeous model!

Keef

"Too Clean" :fuyou_2: So how do you make a racing aircraft go faster? You polish it to within an inch of its life!! Not rocket science just physics

Nick as with all your builds I'm in awe of your mastery of our hobby and am constantly amazed at the attention to detail and painting of your builds and look I forward to your future projects :popcorn:

This is my first post on the Forum, which I joined because someone told me this was the place to read about this beautiful model. I was judging at Telford on Saturday and the Red Baron was my model of the show, absolutely inspirational. As to the finish, I have spent some time around Reno racers and it certainly looked the part to me. I have seen the guys tuning aerodynamics with filler during the nights between races, certainly no panel joint survives the filler.

Regards Mark.