Spitfire Mk.XIV in 1/48th

Mark

Can we start an equivalent of a crowd fundraiser type thingy for an accurate 1/48th scale Spitfire Mk.XIV? Surely this is the last remaining mark unavailable in 1/48th? Maybe a simple petition would do?

So, here's the start to it:

Dear Airfix / Eduard / Tamiya*

Please may we, the undersigned, have, as soon as is practically possible, an accurate scale model kit of the Supekrmarine Spitfire Mk.XIV.

Yours sincerely,

* Delete as appropriate

• Like 4

does anyone do a Mk xviii?

No, but it is quite easy to make if you have a low back Mk. XIV. Airwaves had a rudder and Aeroclub the fiselage. But Mark should probably have said major marks, for neither is there a F.21/Seafire F.45. The resin models of these last two are based on Academy.

No, but it is quite easy to make if you have a low back Mk. XIV. Airwaves had a rudder and Aeroclub the fiselage. But Mark should probably have said major marks, for neither is there a F.21/Seafire F.45. The resin models of these last two are based on Academy.

thanks

I think the most persuasive action to take would be be buy large numbers of Airfix MkV and Eduard Mk. IX kits. They have both invested a lot in getting top-of-the-line Spitfire kits out- if they don't sell well, then a Mk XIV wont look like such a good idea.

Well with over 50 Spits made up and another 30 or so in the stash ( all 1/48 and every conceivable mark going). :mental: I think I would bite Airfix's hand off if they do. :winkgrin:

(That's 80 plus Spits.......... make note to self ...... need to get out more :hmmm:

You mean you guys don't like the Academy kits? I am shocked! Those kits have to be some of the best executed kits ever made, I mean just look at how precise the nose is, and the wing profile is amazing, and let's not forget about the cockpit canopy area. You know, with just a little work, like a grenade or some C-4 you could make a pretty decent Mk XIV. For the record though, my money is on Airfix, it wouldn't take much to alter that PR kit and produce a Mk XIV, and XVIII for that matter. I figure we will get that kit about the same time Santa Claus brings me my 1/48 scale Fruitbat, for Christmas of 2020 I mean!

Cheers

You mean you guys don't like the Academy kits? I am shocked! Those kits have to be some of the best executed kits ever made, I mean just look at how precise the nose is, and the wing profile is amazing, and let's not forget about the cockpit canopy area. You know, with just a little work, like a grenade or some C-4 you could make a pretty decent Mk XIV. For the record though, my money is on Airfix, it wouldn't take much to alter that PR kit and produce a Mk XIV, and XVIII for that matter. I figure we will get that kit about the same time Santa Claus brings me my 1/48 scale Fruitbat, for Christmas of 2020 I mean!

Cheers

HobbyBoss have announced a 1/48th Fruitbat GR XVIII....

....oops sorry - it was a SAAB J29 Tunnan :)

Jonners

Problem with the, "it wont take much for Airfix to do the XIV from the XIX" argument, is it will. New wings and fuselage, plus canopy and detail bits - thats a serious tooling investment - though i must say, I'd wager it would tell like hot cakes.

Still you wont getting any complaints from me, if Im proved very wrong on this.

Jonners

I've just started a back to back build of the brand new Airfix 1:48 Mk V and the old 1:48 Mk 22/24. At the mo the 22/24 has taken over, having just finished a Revell B-17 its simplicity is making it a joy, whereas the Mk V looks a bit involved for my current mood. Manufacturers, theres a subtle message in there!!

And as for an XIV, especially a low back E wing, that would be pure heaven!

The B-17 is in the cabinet. Maybe i should be brave and make my first ready for inspection post??

I have to say having mentioned the joy of simplicity, the older instruction sheet and nasty brittle plastic are quite comical by todays standards. I'll happily see a modern complex XIV though, as when my mood changes... :-D

Noon announcements tommorrow, you just never know!

Speaking of a kit that needs to be produced, my bucket list includes a 1/48 B17E, but with that being said, the old Revell model really is a fun build, rivets and all. It makes a great hang from the ceiling airplane. As for those Academy Spitfire kits, I got the DACO modification parts but I don't have the medical license yet to build a Frankenstein Spitfire.

Cheers

Count me in on the Spitfire XIV kit but in the meantime it isn`t very difficult to make one from cross kitting the Airfix PR.19 and the ICM Spit IX/XVI;

Airfix48thPR19conctoXIV_zps96ea838b.jpg

Merry Crimbo Everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Count me in on the Spitfire XIV kit but in the meantime it isn`t very difficult to make one from cross kitting the Airfix PR.19 and the ICM Spit IX/XVI;

Merry Crimbo Everybody,

Cheers

Tony

Tony, this is a great example of the way a two-stage Griffon engined Spitfire should look like ! Comparing this picture with the ones seen recently of models built from the Academy kit shows where the Corean company got it wrong. I don't want with this to demean the good work done by other modellers on the Avademy kit, far from it ! It's simply a matter that Airfix got the fuselage right and Academy didn't.

Hi Tony,

Do you have a WIP thread for the Spitfire XIV conversion?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hiya Mike,

WIP Thread here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940087-airfix-spitfire-pr19-converted-to-spitfire-xiv-fighter-in-148th-scale-icm-wings/?hl=%2Bspitfire+%2Bxiv

Cheers

Tony

Here's my take using the nose from the AIrfix Mk22/24, tail from the Academy Mk XIV, on the base of the much maligned Hasegawa Mk IX.

There's a WIP here someplace.

DSC02789_zps592c86b9.jpg

Ah ha!! Here it is!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922144-spitfire-mk-xiv-g-algt-148-conversion-return-from-the-shelf-of-doom/?hl=yankymodeler#entry1074262

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 1

Tony, this is a great example of the way a two-stage Griffon engined Spitfire should look like ! Comparing this picture with the ones seen recently of models built from the Academy kit shows where the Corean company got it wrong. I don't want with this to demean the good work done by other modellers on the Avademy kit, far from it ! It's simply a matter that Airfix got the fuselage right and Academy didn't.

Glad you like it Giorgio and I agree,....Airfix have got the look right compared to Academy!

Cheers

Tony

PS- That is a lovely civvy Spit above Yankymodeller,...nice one.

Edited by tonyot