Airfix 1/76 Cromwell IV Tank - final update 04/07/15 - aerials added

PlaStix

thats going on nicely Stix, keep up the great work :) !

Hi Wolwe. Thank you and good to see you in the AFV section!

Looking superb Stix,love the high quality photo,s as the WIP progresses rather than my table top quick snaps,cant wait for the summer and shoot

outside,my local Aldi had a shed load of these a while back wish I,d grabbed one, still got a third P40 for the STGB!

Thank you Steve. To be honest I take the photos in the same way I do when I'm at home. The only thing is; the space where I'm making this (and made the old Airfix Tiger) is pretty grotty so just put some white A3 paper down to hide the grot! Shame you missed out on getting one of these cheap because it is a very nice little kit.

Looks great, Stix. well done. Its good to see/read that the wheels/tracks assembly go easy together

This kits are not only for skilled modeller but also for beginners. Both had one thing in common, a moment of success is

important, this is a very tasty build here. Not expensive, just fun/plastic/color/glue :-)

Great weathering as well, love the metallic shade of the tracks

Hi Bernd. Thank you for your comments. I agree - I think this wheel/track assembly idea is great, especially for beginners. I hope more can be made of this idea for other suitable AFV kits. It's certainly much better than the rubber bands and gives a decent look straight off!

With regards the tracks - they were initially given a coat of Revell's Anthracite followed by a dry-brushing of Humbrol's Gunmetal. I then gave everything a wash of Humbrol's Sand and finally applied some Light rust here and there. They still need a bit of work in places but I'll do that when I do the final weathering on the kit as a whole.

Hi Stix, this is coming along nicely and looking good. Those wheels look excellent.

Got mine last week, a quick look in the box, and mine seemed o.k. Hopefully that's the case when it's being built.

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you. Yes the wheel detail is good to work with. I look forward to seeing your build of this kit at some point - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Yesterday evening I was looking at your diorama with the PSC Firefly - it looks excellent!

Looking great Stix nice tones in the green.

Hi Steve. Thank you for your comments. The tones are just from the basic colour, some washes and a bit of dry-brushing.

Very nice job.

Cheers Paul.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

So, your tracks got a simple but effective paint work, really nice.

Airfix got with this systhem the edge, rubber tracks are not easy, often too simple and the Revell way with their 1/72 tanks

is looking, well done installed, realistic but very fiddly and only for very calmed modellers recommended.

Good work !

• Like 1

So, your tracks got a simple but effective paint work, really nice.

Airfix got with this systhem the edge, rubber tracks are not easy, often too simple and the Revell way with their 1/72 tanks

is looking, well done installed, realistic but very fiddly and only for very calmed modellers recommended.

Good work !

Thank you for your comments Bernd. I had a brief go at trying some Revell Link and Length tracks for the Airfix Tiger. I had some left over from the spares Sgt.Squarehead kindly sent me, but I didn't have the patience or small enough fingers to be able to cope with them!

I've managed to get some of the detail painting done including on the tools and machine guns. I have also got some more of the weathering underway.

Some photos:

16280374705_38d138da72_c.jpg

15660510663_318e36de7c_c.jpg

15657950404_5f2f956302_c.jpg

16254440546_7493b0571f_c.jpg

16254439766_465a620be9_c.jpg

I've still got some more detail weathering I want to do plus it won't be too long before I get the remaining parts attached.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Love it. Hope to start mine soon.

Personally, I would keep any further weathering very restrained. Perhaps some light dust around the rear? You've got a great, subtle finish already.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Ian, I like the subtle weathering as well.

I suppose it must be if it looks right, it is right.

Thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment on my Firefly,

much appreciated,

Sean

• Like 1

Love it. Hope to start mine soon.

Personally, I would keep any further weathering very restrained. Perhaps some light dust around the rear? You've got a great, subtle finish already.

Hi Ian. Thank you. Are you going to post yours on BM as you build it? It's always good to see others' builds of the same kits.

With regards the weathering - I'm not intending to go overboard but the dust around the rear section sounds like a good idea - thank you.

I have to agree with Ian, I like the subtle weathering as well.

I suppose it must be if it looks right, it is right.

Thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment on my Firefly,

much appreciated,

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you as well. As I mentioned to Ian I'm not intending to do a lot of weathering but I've got some ideas I'm going to try.....but nothing major. I enjoyed looking at your Firefly and diorama - for me I always like seeing models, especially tanks/AFVs in scenic settings.

Very, very nice look forward to seeing it finished.

Thank you Steve. Shouldn't be too long now. Just need to get a couple of bits added and do some final detail painting and weathering and then it'll be finished. Hopefully over the next week or so.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Only a minor update with regards progress but I ended up taking a few photographs as it's the first time everything is together. The turret is still not properly fitted but I've done a bit more weathering.

16268179326_f7f7f2dc4d_c.jpg

16294108875_59161f8c65_c.jpg

15674236343_1d77451e8e_c.jpg

16292318361_172076fe90_c.jpg

16294106625_8be0f5bd3c_c.jpg

16268174586_a7fac8cba8_c.jpg

16106743340_ef37ff302e_c.jpg

I then thought it might be an idea to give a sense of scale of this tank:

16106567888_d978dd40d8_c.jpg

16106741380_1eded0280e_c.jpg

I still want to do a bit more detail weathering before I get the decals on followed but a light layer of dust in places.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Looking good Stix, didn't realise how tiny this tank is, hope I can get my fingers around the parts! Will you be putting this one a base?

Sean

• Like 1

Looking good Stix, didn't realise how tiny this tank is, hope I can get my fingers around the parts! Will you be putting this one a base?

Sean

Thank you Sean. It even surprised me when I looked at the tank next to the 20 pence piece in the photos - I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel that small when I'm working on it! I have fairly fat fingers (which feel even fatter at some points!) but it didn't seem too bad. There are a couple of very small parts with this kit which I took extra care with - the valve wheel(?) on top of the turret and the half a muzzle brake piece for the gun barrel are a couple that spring to mind.

With regards a base I probably will do but I'm not sure what kind yet. I'll probably end up using more of my left over scenic stuff.

Hello once again Stix your weathering looks great, what products do you use - tmaci6

Hi again tmaci6 and thank you again. I've not used anything other than acrylic paints so far. After the main paint layer I gave everything a wash of Revell's matt Gunship Grey. I then did some targeted washes of Revell's matt Anthracite - picking out areas I thought should be darker - panel lines, etc - before this dried I used a finger to spread it out over surfaces in places to create a kind of post shading effect. Next was some dry-brushing of the original colour over most areas to give some highlights. I then used a very thin wash of Humbrol's Sand in corners, etc. - I found it creates quite a nice dried dirt effect when dry. I then used some very thin Light Rust washes around key points where there may have been long term wear'n'tear. Finally I dry-brushed some Humbrol Gunmetal over some of the raised details that I felt may have day to day wear'n'tear. I still want to do some light dust effects and some streaks in places but I may do these after I've got the decals on.

Looking really good, I like this.

Thank you for your kind comments Steve.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

If you need any figures, let me know and I'll send my Revell ones from the WW2 set, I can't see me using any more,

Sean

Thank you Sean, that's very kind, but I already have quite a few Caesar Miniture British Army figures left over from my D-Day diorama.

Blimey Stix!! How many builds do you run in parallel?? This is great. Don't know where you find the time! :)

Hi wimbledon. This and the old Airfix Tiger 1 have been built in the odd bits of time I get during the week, but when I'm not at home. Problem is I don't have all my usual model making supplies with me so I have to do fairly straight forward models that don't require anything special.

Kind regards,

Stix

Only a very minor update today and not one for the actual tank. I decided, because I have some time now before the Achtung Panzer GB, that I'd try and make some stowage items for this tank. I've started by making a couple of wooden storage boxes. They are both made from styrene sheet and micro-strip:

15719330764_a8a949e695_c.jpg

One box painted:

16315811336_221176354a_c.jpg

Next to a Humbrol pot of paint for scale:

16340879812_d3a91f7cd1_c.jpg

And the completed one in place:

16155593769_2a91749d25_c.jpg

I've got some ideas for other bits and pieces but I was wondering if anyone can please suggest something that will look like suitable rope in this scale? I'd like to be able to make these items look like they're secured in place by some.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

A very nice idea, to create the own storage boxes ! For the ropes, you maybe should ask Mrs.Stix about the contains of her sewing box.

A well sized thread stiffed up with wood glue and water will do the trick maybe.Will try this too, using surviving threads from sail ship kits.

Good work so far !

Nice work Stix.

Are you adding the cowl that goes over the rear air intake grills.

Nice touch on the box, also there's loads of rope sizes to choose from for your towing rope.

But like BerndM's idea.

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

A very nice idea, to create the own storage boxes ! For the ropes, you maybe should ask Mrs.Stix about the contains of her sewing box.

A well sized thread stiffed up with wood glue and water will do the trick maybe.Will try this too, using surviving threads from sail ship kits.

Good work so far !

Hi Bernd. Thank you. The idea of the thread sounds like it's a good one. When I've got a few more items built I shall investigate. Thank you.

Nice work Stix.

Are you adding the cowl that goes over the rear air intake grills.

Nice touch on the box, also there's loads of rope sizes to choose from for your towing rope.

But like BerndM's idea.

foxy :coolio:

Hi Foxy. Thank you.

With regards the cowl - no I'm not - I decided this was as far as I was going with this one. I've already picked up another one of these Cromwells from Aldi - so a different version will be built at some point.

You have a good eye for detail - love the box which too would no doubt be dwarfed by a 20 pence piece

Thank you Courtney. Yes must get a 20 pence piece in a photo with them!

Really nice job of one of my favourite tanks, should look superb when finished

Thank you Blitz23 - it's been a fun build!!

Not had a lot of time on this project but I've got the second stowage box finished:

16337744386_158d25d643_c.jpg

And I've also got some Pledge on the locations where the decals will go:

15741262594_52378c2abb_c.jpg

Next I'm probably going to make a slightly larger box and then I'm going to have a go at using some Milliput to create some rolled up covers/sheeting.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6