Airfix 1/76 Cromwell IV Tank - final update 04/07/15 - aerials added

PlaStix

Tell you what Stix,you could set up a nice little sideline with those stowage boxes,superb scratch building!

That's a great idea, I'll take two sets,

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Steve and Sean. LOL - thank you!

Unfortunately my business empire building will have to wait! - I don't think I'm going to get much time to make any extras at the moment - I'm getting a bit carried away with how many builds I'm going to have on the go at one time from this weekend - the two Mk.Vb Spitfires plus three tanks in the Achtung Panzer GB. If I get chance I will post a little step-by-step guide for making these boxes - they really are fairly easy.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

No problem Stix, I can wait!
Sean

LOL! Fair enough!

The added little boxes are really little gems. Impressive work

Thank you Bernd. I really only knocked them together because I didn't fancy trying to find stuff on the internet! I was surprised they came out as well as they did. Still to play with some Milliput yet.......should be fun!

Great stuff, but much too small for my sausage like fingers and failing eyesight. I have built a few Tamiya 1/35 tanks in the past, I suppose that they would be too easy for you!

:bouncy: Sorry just can't resist using this one.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Great stuff there plastix, well done.

Didn't realise these kits were new moldings.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you Plasmahal. Yeah it is a really nicely detailed little kit. I've already picked up another cheap on curtesy of Aldi!

Great stuff, but much too small for my sausage like fingers and failing eyesight. I have built a few Tamiya 1/35 tanks in the past, I suppose that they would be too easy for you!

:bouncy: Sorry just can't resist using this one.

Hi John. Thank you. I have to say I struggle with some of the very smallest of parts - and then knock them off when when I've carefully got them in place! But I do like these small AFVs despite this.

This morning I decided to get all the decals on the Cromwell. My main concern was about the star decal for the front/top of the turret, as it was going to have to go over some raised detail. But, as it turned out, with lots of applications of DecalFix, it conformed fairly quickly. These photos show what it looked like before varnishing:

16409205275_5e52a9403b_c.jpg

16221565058_e7cb4cf88b_c.jpg

15789169823_c45dbed710_c.jpg

16222974319_ea661f58d5_c.jpg

15789167373_a4e7b56be3_c.jpg

Next up they need varnishing with matt varnish and then I'll do some final bits of weathering.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Good work, this was not so easy but turned out great.

Interesting that the star as a air recognition sits different, the one pronged side looks backwards, i noticed that in the instructions of my M4A1 as well

• Like 1

Good work, this was not so easy but turned out great.

Interesting that the star as a air recognition sits different, the one pronged side looks backwards, i noticed that in the instructions of my M4A1 as well

Thank you Bernd. I know very little about the recognition stars beyond the bit I've read online. I thought, usually, that if it was on the front portion of the vehicle (e.g. the hood) the one prong pointed towards the back. If it was on the back half of the vehicle the one prong pointed towards the front. Now this is only me going off what I've seen in a few photos - not some really comprehensive research. I'm sure someone will be able to point us in the right direction! ( :coat: ) The Airfix instructions do have it the other way around but I took a decision to put it on they way I have because, to me, it looked like it was effectively on the front half - I'm probably wrong!! Ah well - too late now and it's settled too well for me to be bothered to change it.

That's a really neat build Stix, must get mine closer to the top of the stash.

Sean

Hi Sean. Thank you - it really is a nice kit to build - definitely have a go at it soon - possibly for the Achtung Panzer GB?

Cute is the wrong word but it has to be said............. :whistle:

I'll get my coat :coat: . Taxi!!

LOL!

That looks great Stix, really nice work. I hope my 1/35 kit turns out as well. :thumbsup2:

Hi Doug. Thank you. I'm sure it will turn out far better knowing your skills!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you Bernd.

Well I've finally got around to putting some photos in the RFI section which can be found here.

18113775315_91fee6d904_c.jpg

It was a very enjoyable build and thanks must also go to everyone who commented and offered advice.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

wow thats amazing Styx! realy love the boxes! It is so obvious, yet it never came on my mind it could be done this way.. They say the beauty is in the simplicity and it is true.. :) Now for sure do not get me wrong Styx, i dont mean it would be easy to make such a nice lovely boxes, not at all. Just simple idea, who needs overpriced aftermarket, just think a bit and here we go, nice idea and nice result :) cheers, i might steal the idea as well ;)

wow thats amazing Styx! realy love the boxes! It is so obvious, yet it never came on my mind it could be done this way.. They say the beauty is in the simplicity and it is true.. :) Now for sure do not get me wrong Styx, i dont mean it would be easy to make such a nice lovely boxes, not at all. Just simple idea, who needs overpriced aftermarket, just think a bit and here we go, nice idea and nice result :) cheers, i might steal the idea as well ;)

Thank you Wolwe - and I do understand what you mean! I did intend to make some more bits and pieces for this build but I haven't got around to it yet! - Too many other tanks and Spitfires in the way! And you steal away!! I look forward to seeing your take on them!

Another beauty for the collection Stix. :thumbsup:

Thank you Sarge - I do like these small scale tanks (and the larger ones too it turns out!! - who knew?!)

Congrats to this beautiful build, Stix. Another stunner.

:yahoo::goodjob:

Thank you Bernd - you are always very kind.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thank you Sarge - I do like these small scale tanks (and the larger ones too it turns out!! - who knew?!)

Would you believe I am plotting a 1/35 build.....My second, this one will be a modernish subject with a bit of WHIFery thrown in: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982438-kit-advice-needed/
  • Like 1

Would you believe I am plotting a 1/35 build.....My second, this one will be a modernish subject with a bit of WHIFery thrown in: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982438-kit-advice-needed/

Wow! The master of Braille scale tanks moving to 1/35! Sounds like an interesting project you have planned. will definitely be following along when you get started.

• 1 month later...

Just missing the aerials. I came across a fibre optics toy in a charity shop. The black filaments are just the right size for these and are pretty handle proof. Let me know if you want a few bunging in the post.

• Like 1

Yep I agree. Meant to add some a while back and didn't get around to it! I'll try and get some on this weekend.

Thank you for reminding me.