Sliced & Diced Eduard Bf110C-4 M8+AC Little Butts Farm

This is my second single type G/B ,the first being the Fw190 a few years back. Will post the start up pics on 1st November but wanted to get in first on this Virgin G/B :)

Looking forward to seeing all the 110's come together over next 3 months

index.jpg

Alistair

• Like 2

Ah, same kit as I have, look forward to seeing you in there Alistair :D

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stewe . i,m doing the 1/48 kit P1000545.jpg

I can see that with all the Eduard bf110's in both 1/72 &1/48 theres going to be plenty of opportunities for confusion. looking at the entries it looks like the 1/72 will rule the roost.

• Like 1

I am currious of how the engines will fit the wings. There are some reviews that mention this.

I have a few of the 1/48 110's from Eduard in my stash. So I will be watching. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

• Like 1

I am currious of how the engines will fit the wings. There are some reviews that mention this.

I have a few of the 1/48 110's from Eduard in my stash. So I will be watching. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

Hi Arnold

Yes it does look like this area of the kit does have some problems . I have found a build where with a good amount of dry fitting and a little sanding of parts before glueing the modeller managed to get the job done without any filler. Knowing that it may be possible has given me something to aim for , however im going to attempt to shoehorn in a quick boost starboard engine , a job that i can find no opinions on any where on the net.

Alistair

• Like 1

Cheers,

they sort of fit after a fashion!!!!

Hi Arnold

Yes it does look like this area of the kit does have some problems . I have found a build where with a good amount of dry fitting and a little sanding of parts before glueing the modeller managed to get the job done without any filler. Knowing that it may be possible has given me something to aim for , however im going to attempt to shoehorn in a quick boost starboard engine , a job that i can find no opinions on any where on the net.

Alistair

you must have gotten a good one! Spent ages dry fitting and sanding (well filing in my case), got it as good as I could without causing more issues! Have you noticed how the ailerons fit yet? As in huge gaps, plus I had issues with minor gaps in the leading edges of mine...most unusual!

I’ll be very interested to see how you go with the engine!

Have managed to grab some time to get some pics to make more of an introduction to my project.

The plan is to construct a diorhama to show the aircraft as in these photos

P1000571.jpg

(taken fro luftwaffe crash archive vol 3 Nigel Parker)

This progect will involve lots of firsts for me

Never built a diorhama,Never done a crashed aircraft ,never done battle damage and never built an Eduard 110.

My refrances are

P1000567.jpg

P1000566.jpg

The Shep Paine book has some very good ideas and is well explained and the Bf110cdand e An Illustrated Study has some good diagrams of the internal structure which will be needed.

To give an idea of how large the diorhama is i made a quick mock up out of plaster board and cardboard The board is around 40 X 40 cm . I think my cardboard 110 is a little on the fat side .

P1000570.jpg

I have cut the wing to plan the parts spread of the brocken wing.

A liite History of the aircraft .

Originally the ac ofMaj.Erich Groth M8 +AC W.Nr 3602 crashed At Little Butts Farm on the afternoon of 4th September 1940. The ac was at the time piloted by Obltn Hermann Wieber who escaped uninjured and the radio operator/ rear gunner ,Sergeant Max Michael who was injured with two bullet wounds to the back and one to the throat. (Max whent on to make a full recovery.)

The pilot landed the aircraft in a field next to the farm and it slid up hill ,through a fence and into the garden of Mr and Mrs Brissenden at Little Butts Farm . The airframe was classified as unrepareable.

It is probable that the damage was caused by by No.1 (RCAF) Squadron Hurricanes .

A nearby farmer that who haveing a partridge shoot recorded that "One of the members of a partridge shoot who was having beer and sandwiches in a field at Chessons Farm took a couple of pot-shots at the Me 110 as it wobbled overhead, remarking 'Rather a high bird, I'm afraid'. In the Whiligh Estate Game Book that evening was entered: 10 brace of partridges, two hares and a Messerschmitt 110" . (quote from Any Saunderson 12 0'clock high forum.

I shall post some sprue pics tomorrow and some very early work in progress.

Alistair

• Like 3

Alastair,

This Bf 110 was claimed by F/O Ross Smither of 1 RCAF Squadron. I have his combat report knocking about if you'd like a copy. Just need to find out of my filing!

Hello Andy, how are you doing? Haven't spoken for a long time!

Max

Alastair,

This Bf 110 was claimed by F/O Ross Smither of 1 RCAF Squadron. I have his combat report knocking about if you'd like a copy. Just need to find out of my filing!

Hi Andy

yes please . The combat report may well give me more of an idea where the 110 was hit and from what direction so i can get my bullet holes in a realistic place.

thanks again

Alistair

Cheers,

Arnold , you asked earlier how the engines fit the wings. now i can give you my opinion.

1. the quickboost instructions dont tell you all you need to know, they make no mention of the lastic that needs to be removed from both lower and upper starboard wing parts and no mention of the thinning of the inside of the plastic to open up the exhaust openings.

P1000572.jpg

this picture shows the plastic that needs to br removed from the wing parts . I did it bit by bit

P1000573.jpg

Its all a tight fit so i recon did about 20 dry runs. the engine isnt glued in at this point as priming and painting and twisting still to be done,

P1000577.jpg

Now lots of what i have done to see if i could get a good fit is a complete exercise as my next stage is to create this sliced off wing

qwerk1.jpg

Photos seem to show that the damage could hve been caused by wire from a fence slicing through the wing . wire can be seen in two of the pictures i have found attached to both wing and tail.,also a tall wire fence can be seen in the background in one of the pictures.

I plan to thin many of the wing parts with my dremel (a tool i very rarely use ) so i can tare the plastic apart and hvea a realistic thin section for the break , I will then add some internal structure to the wing . I think it will only be the back of the engine and bulk head that will show , areas that are not normally visable

Hang on can anybody small melting plastic :)

Forgot to say that the engines are a good fit with some fantastic detail well reccimended.

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 4

I'd be thinning the inside of the engine compartment too Alistair, that'll give you more critical space for the engine and most importantly a "scale" look to the front edge of the upper nacelle.

Max

• Like 1

the more I look at what you're doing the more I think it will be quite an epic build!!! :popcorn:

But if it all goes really wrong a match could produce a suitable result as well! :D

Yes Rich this build is far more to it than i had thought before i started .Useing the eduard kit was probably a mistake as the dragon kit comes with an engine (well the one i have built did) and apart from the MAD instructions was an easy build.

The damage to this aircraft has opend up the wing along a difficult plastic join at the best of times but it is all adding up to a nice challenge.

I have now made some progress on the damaged wing . I have started here as this is the area where it is most likely to go all horribly wrong and i didn't want to spend my time doing the pit etc for all that work to be wasted.

I have been lucky with the 3 available pictures of this aircraft as they cover most areas of damage of the front .

this first photo shows the magor parts placed together so i could see if the base was large enough to capture the story

P1000581.jpg

Going to do the aircraft at a diagonal acroos the base with a small raised brick flower bed running parellel with the wings

opend and twisted up some pannels to see what parts of engine can be seen . Some lead wire hs been added to rear of engine bulkhead to represent fuel pipes leading to outer starboard fuel tanks.

P1000582.jpg

Some wing internal structure has been made with plastic strip and all visable edges have been thined down to near transparent to be more of a scale thickness also dipped in boiling water and warped and bent.

P1000583.jpg

P1000584-Copy.jpg

I have reduced the damage to the wing tip after a close look at a photo sugested it was just chewdann bent , not severd.

P1000584.jpg

Please with how my bullet holes have come out as the thinning has resulted in the entry hole being in a dent and a larger rougher exit hole

Picture , very enlarged of a entry hole

P1000583-Copy.jpg

I will add a little more damage to undersurface ,especially radiators as the would hafe acted as earth scoops and be in a very bad way.

I have modified one of the ailerons to show the destruction of the fabric surface which altough cant be seen in the 3 pics of this aircraft is a very common result of a forced landing.

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 5