Sliced & Diced Eduard Bf110C-4 M8+AC Little Butts Farm

Gosh this is an ambitious project Alistair, but absolutely fascinating to follow. It's obvious there's still lots to do - getting the "tone" of the whole diorama, matching the aircraft and the garden is, I would imagine, going to be key to its overall look. Keep going old chap!

Max

• Like 1

Gosh this is an ambitious project Alistair, but absolutely fascinating to follow. It's obvious there's still lots to do - getting the "tone" of the whole diorama, matching the aircraft and the garden is, I would imagine, going to be key to its overall look. Keep going old chap!

Max

I didn't realise how ambitious it was Max . Probably not the ideal subject for my first diorhma but it has certainly given me plenty of new challenges to overcome.

I have come to the decision that rather than try to apply the sharks mouth decal , find it wouldnt fit the bashed in nose , have to remove it and then paint, i would simply move directly to the painting stage so after applying some tamiya mat white i have made a mask for the snake mouth out of Kamoi tape

P1000888.jpg

P1000887.jpg

The masks were probably as difficult to get right as useing the decals however i was able to push them into the dents in the nose i had made earlier.

My first tree / shrub has been formed from a dried piece of sage twig

P1000889.jpg

which was misted with Scenic Spray and then sprinkled with another colour of green static grass.

P1000890.jpg

Have got lots of twigs drying now as the diorhma needs loads of smashed vegetation.

• Like 2

Have had a constructive Boxing Day useing some new Mr Hobby acrylic paints. Got the basic RLM 70 , 71 and 76. I was trying to get a good contrast between the 70 and 71 as useing other brands i have had to lighten the 71 and darken the 70 , however this time they have been shot as is from the bottle . The contrast may decrease with varnish application but there is plenty of room for convergence .

The shark mouth has come out fine , though not perfect . i feel reasonably symetrical which was the hardest thing to achieve also more like the one on the photos i'v seen than Eduards decal.

Cant believe how the second month has raced by and very pleased to have one left for all th finishing bits and bobs. I have put many hours of work into my 110 . far moor than i would have thought before starting.

P1000895.jpg

P1000896.jpg

P1000897.jpg

Any one any idea on the correct colour for the wing internals eg Aluminium or RLM 02

Alistair

• Like 2

And a very good idea too Henrik. The engine nacelle cover that I made recently out of wine bottle foil looks better, even unpainted, than the original plastic simply because of its "scale" thickness. Some realistic twisting and tearing could be achieved with this - and I'm sure we've all got an empty wine bottle or two? :)

Max.

Max totally agree. Nothing looks like metal other than metal in any form. I was thinking if the thicker Christmas Aluminum foil for decorations might be of use too. Maybe a little stiff but probably going to be very cheap the next week or so

Just an idea. But have you considered using thin strips of teared and lightly wrinkled aluminum foil at the skin area where the wing have snapped off? Think it could give a good effect.

Thank you for good idea Henrik , although i think its too late for this build. I am intending doing another crashed and distorted Luftwaffe subject for the Bof B group build next year and will see if i can use some aluminium foil as i found that getting scale thickness was a problem and dents could not be easily made that would have a corrosponding raised creese . Yep ,recon far larger range of damage affects can be achieved.

Alistair

Also great for bullet holes cut the damaged panel insert a similar panel cut from foil. Punch some holes with the right size needle small holes going in and large on the opposite side of the damaged wing/ fuselage tearing outwards with a pointed tweezer.

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics to show progress . Decals on and most small parts . only need to attach arial wire ,paint nose ammo boxes rlm 02 (only got a reminder of that job when looking at pics. I will attachaircraft to base with brass rod so i can remove prop. .

trees arn't in finished positon yet and a few twigs to add. home gard will be painted next and then its the home straight.

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

• Like 5

Super job Alistair, I love dioramas like yours that is modelling "outside the box". It gives personality to the plane, to the subject. Bravo for tackling such a difficult scene.

Max

The aircraft and diorama are looking great Alistair. I'm looking forward to BOB GB later in the year to see what you produce with the things you have learnt here.

Rob

Thanks Max , Stew , Rob and Andy.

I have learnt a lot on this, my first diorama , firstly try something invented to incrase scope for imagination and second , dont use an Eduard 110 in 1/48 as something a little simpler would have still been just as effective . For the Bof B g/b i will be doing something a little simpler but involving sheep :)

My wife , who normally has little intrest in my modelling output keeps looking at the progress and has displayed a significant amount of intrest even to the extent of pointing it out to a friend of hers :shocked:

I have thought about doing something along these lines for a while but had no idea of how to start so i have used this G?B as a catalist to help me take the first steps.

My troops to guard the downed aircraft arrived today

Dads-Army-02.jpg

manaring.jpg

These 28mm lead figures are not bad for scale and i have been looking for a reason to buy some for some time. Have chosen Wilson and Mainwaring as a start as these two characters have to go together . You get both a figure in uniform and civilian cloths . I will be useing the uniformed figures this time but will be on the hunt for an idea to use the other figures with.

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

Have never painted one of these lead figures so this is yet another dive into the unknown but have downloaded a good guide on the process.

I've just got into figure painting Alistair. I don't know what paints, acrylic or enamel, you intend using but if you go for acrylic it's well worth getting some Vallejo (or similar - other brands are available!) Glaze medium. Mixed in small amounts with the paint it stops it drying out so that it can be easily blended on the figure. Get the best brushes you can afford - sable is tops! 2 Kolinskis cost me £15.00!!!!!!

Max

• Like 2

I've just got into figure painting Alistair. I don't know what paints, acrylic or enamel, you intend using but if you go for acrylic it's well worth getting some Vallejo (or similar - other brands are available!) Glaze medium. Mixed in small amounts with the paint it stops it drying out so that it can be easily blended on the figure. Get the best brushes you can afford - sable is tops! 2 Kolinskis cost me £15.00!!!!!!

Max

Vallejo is a name that comes up alot during my reserch regrading figure painting so i may well take a trip intp tauton where i'v seen a shop that sells warhamer figures etc . 2 kolinskis £15.00 , thats more than the total player budget for Exeter city :( .

Have just cleaned off the seams on Mainwaring which has been a joy as the lead sands easy . Some of the seams have been well thought out and are hard to find. Lucky i have a good Optivisor. These Bolt Action figures are very well moulded with some sharp detail. The last figures i painted were some Revell and Airfix 1/72 soft plastic for my C-47 paras ( D Day g/b ) which were horrid .

Wow, quite a leap forward since last I checked in! I don't know if you just haven't gotten to it yet, but one constructive criticism is that the airframe is too clean- I'd expect that landing to have kicked up dust!

I think it's great that you've actually captured your wife's attention- mine would be very impressed if I ever managed to show her a finished product...

bob

• Like 1