1/8 scale Short nose D Type Jaguar

One meagre picture today...

I'm casting my own upper and lower 'A' arms for the front suspension.

I need these parts now though, to work out the position of the supports and linkages to have the front wheels in the correct place.

And in answer to Shaun - the resin is surprisingly strong, even when thin.

I use the identical stuff the 1/43 companies use to make their kits, and some of their bodywork is mega-thin.

Roy.

P1010106_zps6ceee944.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Another small amount done.

I've made and added the front side 'picture frames' which act as bracing for the engine frame and also to give rigidity and support to the suspension and wheel mounting points - still to be made up and fitted.

Strangely, not all D Types had these side panels fitted but the best chassis pictures and reference shots I have, do show them.

So my car has them too.....

Roy.

P1010107_zps3cd10aaf.jpg

P1010108_zpsb673376c.jpg

It's actually a piece of whiteboard marker pen body with spare Pocher sports suspension rings from the Alfa, and a large pin-head glued on the front.

The fittings are different size plastic tubing......

Any Sport in a storm..... (groan....)

Roy.

• Like 1

Another small update - not much text as I don't think anyone is reading it anyway...

Got a bit bogged down on the chassis etc at the front so went on to an 'easier' bit - the bonnet (hood)

Had a 2nd vac form done - the first was a bit thin.

Cut out the vent area and made up the vents using plastic quadrant.

All fitted, primed etc.....

Since removed.

I didn't like them.......

Roy.

P1010110_zps2e31d82c.jpg

P1010111_zps55d19452.jpg

P1010112_zpsb43f98f8.jpg

P1010114_zps742f3c13.jpg

P1010116_zps754897d7.jpg

P1010117_zpscf5b954f.jpg

P1010115_zpsf9978b0b.jpg

• Like 1

Another small update - not much text as I don't think anyone is reading it anyway...

Waddya mean 'anyone'?? I'M reading- and looking at the gorgeous pics! Stealing every neat trick I can-like those slats made from strip and faired into the nose; beautiful execution. That's is some fantastic shape-even in two different colors.

Forgive my ignorance Roy, but the vac-formed bits - are they styrene?? If so how thick do they come out? What do you find is a good compromise between sturdiness and scale-thickness edges?

I think your buddy could make a 1/8 scale Cobra look 1:1 with this technique but I'd have to pay him my first grandkiddie... :weep: :weep: :weep:

Yes - the main body is styrene. It's all 40 th thickness, but the first bonnet (hood) was 30 and it was just a bit TOO 'floppy'.

I've since removed the vents - they looked too 'chunky' - and I've made a new set using bigger quadrant but thinner base.

Much better.

Re: the 'reading' - I know there are few readers out there, but generally, I think most people are more interested in just seeing the pics.

Roy.

Yes - the main body is styrene. It's all 40 th thickness, but the first bonnet (hood) was 30 and it was just a bit TOO 'floppy'.

Re: the 'reading' - I know there are few readers out there, but generally, I think most people are more interested in just seeing the pics.

Roy.

OK; now if the body panels had raised detail such as fender flairs or scoops, those parts would be pulled separately and then joined to the body after? I ask because of the under-cuts and the need to pull up cleanly from the mold? Do I have that right?

And I agree about seeing mostly finished pictures of assemblies-not how they got that way. I'm currently making piles of Pocher sanding dust whilst prepping the RR body panels. I know no one wants to see that....

............................ I'm currently making piles of Pocher sanding dust whilst prepping the RR body panels. I know no one wants to see that....

I'm not too sure anyone wants to see anything to do with big stuff......

We may have over-killed it.

Roy.

Guys, what you do with your big stuff is stunning. For my part I watch, I learn, I get inspired - and go and buy reissued 1/8 E-Types and sets of dial/plate decals ;) On occasion I can help with stuff like the pics, but the fact that I don't post often shouldn't be taken as an indicator that I'm not interested or you have over done anything. If us mere mortals can transfer or translate what you have shown the way with into what we hack together you ought to feel as though you have accomplished something in addition. Hopefully anyway.

Please keep the updates coming. You ARE inspirational.

Rich

Guys, what you do with your big stuff is stunning. For my part I watch, I learn, I get inspired - and go and buy reissued 1/8 E-Types and sets of dial/plate decals ;) On occasion I can help with stuff like the pics, but the fact that I don't post often shouldn't be taken as an indicator that I'm not interested or you have over done anything. If us mere mortals can transfer or translate what you have shown the way with into what we hack together you ought to feel as though you have accomplished something in addition. Hopefully anyway.

Please keep the updates coming. You ARE inspirational.

Rich

That's very kind of you.

I certainly don't post just to get 'Oooh - Ahhs' and any rubbish like that.

It's just really nice to get some chat going.

If any of my (frequently misguided !) efforts are of help to anyone, then that's great.

That's what the forum is all about. I've certainly learned lots from others here.

Roy.

• Like 1

It's a pity the site doesn't show the number of times a given post has been read, because it's almost certainly more than you think. Take me for instance. I have very little I can say on this thread as everyone here knows far more about car modelling and/or the D-Type than I do. But I've very glad it exists as I learn a lot from it.

• Like 1

Keep it up Roy, believe me, your efforts, and the techniques required to achieve your aims is amazing. The text should be mandatory reading for all modellers. Starting with an idea, and turning it into a 3 dimensional masterpiece of these proportions is modelling without compare.

I know you don't attend our local club, but it would be fantastic to see some of your stuff at our Show next June.

• Like 1

Temporarily back on the Big D again....

The bonnet (hood) has been sanded, primed, filled, sanded, primed and top coated.

Four top coats so far - maybe another one and then leave it for a week to harden off enough to be handled.

It isn't in any way fitted in the pictures - just laying in place.

Rear end underneath next - suspension, axle, diff etc.

Roy.

P1010136_zps60f0459a.jpg

P1010135_zps230521a6.jpg