1/8 scale Short nose D Type Jaguar

Oh no!!!!!!

I couldn't resist it.

Alongside my Pocher Alfa I've made a start on a short nose D Type Jaguar.

There are very few similarities with the C Type, so all of it will be from scratch once again.

A few Revell E Type engine parts will be modified for use, as I did with the 'Big C', but apart from that - it's in at the deep end....

The plans are drawn up, and chassis diagrams scaled from original Jaguar drawings. I've also amassed around 200 reference pictures and 4 books.....

Main body shell is in the 'works'.

Watch this space.

Roy.

• Like 1

Are there 36 hour days in the UK? :mental:

I Think roy may have developed some sort of time travel/warping device in his spare time that enables him to knock out these big cars at such a rate

Shaun

Edited by shood23

The reality is, I'm an old geezer with too much 'play-time' on his hands........

Really, once I get 'in' to a model, I do tend to go at it pretty relentlessly.

Roy.

Nonsense. I bet I'm older 'n you and spend more hours per day than you.

---which really means I'm senile and slow together! :weep:

Well - no secret - I'm 59.

Retired last year and currently spend anywhere between 3-10 hours per day on my models.
That includes Sat and Sun.

Of course, there are still those odd days where there seems to be no time for kit-bashing at all, but that's pretty rare.

If anything, I'm trying to spend a bit LESS time on models at present as it's all too easy to get burn-out and lose interest.

Roy.

Well - no secret - I'm 59.

Retired last year and currently spend anywhere between 3-10 hours per day on my models.

That includes Sat and Sun.

Of course, there are still those odd days where there seems to be no time for kit-bashing at all, but that's pretty rare.

If anything, I'm trying to spend a bit LESS time on models at present as it's all too easy to get burn-out and lose interest.

Roy

I (unfortunately) win the bet...................

• 2 weeks later...

Main body parts 'reasonably' sorted.

I'll post a few pictures shortly.

This one will be different to the C Type as I have a friend who is able to make large vac forms, so this time the bodywork should be less hassle than mould making and casting.

First vac form parts look fairly good so far.

Goodness knows how it will/won't work out.

Roy.

Righty-ho.....

I've sorted through the best mouldings from my friend and started to trim the main pieces to shape.

There will be a LOT of work in this model as it's all scratch-built.

I'm going to need a 1/8 E Type kit to scavenge some engine parts from but I'll mould from them and cast them in resin so I don't waste a complete kit.

Either that, or if anyone here has a scruffy/broken/damaged built Revell kit they want to give (sell cheaply) to a good home, PM me.

I'm not starting on this one in earnest yet as the big Alfa is still on the bench but I might do odd bits on this as a time-filler for now.

I appreciate this one might be of ZILCH interest to most of you, but I'll post a few updates as I go.

Roy.

P1010025_zpsb1fbe284.jpg

P1010024_zps939b426e.jpg

P1010026_zpsafd1637d.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3

A bit more done on the D Type whilst waiting for the freshly painted Alfa Romeo doors to dry.....

First, a point to clarify....

I had a pm from someone asking if the D Type shell is actually a R/C shell I'm fiddling with, and if so where could he get one.

Absolutely NO.

The main body was hand carved in wood and then vac formed by a pro guy who is now retired, and who is being incredibly kind and helpful with this build.

I've never worked in vac form styrene before, and it was his idea, as working with fibre glass and resin is not only incredibly messy, but extremely slow.

With a vac formed part, if I mess it up, I can get another part within a few hours.

And no - he's not interested in producing more parts for others as his time is too valuable to get into 'production'.

The main tub has been roughly trimmed and the lower sills fitted using a thicker plasticard former on the inside.

I've discovered that I've cut the rear arches slightly wrong so infill pieces are currently being glued in, to be re-trimmed and sorted.

At present it doesn't look much, but there's a HUGE amount to do just to get the main tub into any kind of presentable state....

Roy.

P1010027_zpse3e3ad52.jpg

P1010028_zpsec8b90e6.jpg

P1010029_zpsc34a6872.jpg

P1010030_zps4c04464a.jpg

P1010031_zpsedfee951.jpg

• Like 1

Nice start on a beautiful car! I had a plastic kit of a D Type as a kid, it's probably in my Dad's attic. I may need to dig it out and "restore" it.....

Ian

Many thanks you guys.

I really had/have no intention of building this model just yet, but delays on the Alfa have given me a bit of time to 'play' with this one.

I'm currently still re-shaping the rear wheel arches but other than that, little to report apart from drawing up the chassis and engine frame plans from some small drawing's I've found.

Strange how there was plenty of info re: the C Type chassis out on the web, but literally nothing on the D Type.....

Roy.

I've never had more than one project on the go at a time, but somehow I've now ended up building the Pocher Alfa and the D Type together......

I'm still focussing on the Alfa, but now that I've started, I can't leave the blasted 'Big D' alone !

I've fitted the tail fin, and for those interested, the 'join' line that shows is actually correct for the car I'm modelling.
All those models of D Types on the market that have smoothed in rear fins are actually wrong!
I only found this out after looking at umpteen Googled images, and then also finally seeing my 'dream' car in the flesh.

The hump behind the driver was standard, but the tail fin variant had the fin added afterwards and it was just riveted over the hump.

Hence the visible join.

Fuel filler lid still to be properly sorted.

TONS more to do on the body......

Roy.

P1010043_zps12a86370.jpg

P1010044_zps61345203.jpg

P1010046_zpse79a8ae8.jpg

P1010045_zpsad42ce13.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

great progress on your d type it will be brilliant to watch your progress. just to clear up a point, the 'smooth' fairing on the d type was fitted to the works long nose cars of 1955/56, of course, yours will be either a 1954 works car or a 'production' car. some short nosed cars were not fitted with a fin on the fairing. sorry to be precise, but i did quite a bit of reference work d types for myself. which car have you decided to model ? i always find it easier to concentrate on an actual car at a certain point in its life if i can. makes decisions easier about which variations to apply.

• Like 1

Off again on another scratch project, and another load of long-winded waffle.

The main tub is reasonably cut to shape now and the rear wheel arches have been rebuilt to more closely follow the side profile of the real car. I went a bit potty with the knives and tools cutting the arches out initially so it’s my own fault they needed re-doing.

The tail fin is in place – complete with correct stepped edge and I’ve also started to add the umpteen rivets that will have to be put on.
A clever tip given to me by another model car builder for adding rivets:

Use the liquid lead sold in fine nozzle tubes for stained glass hobbyists.
A very gentle squeeze of the tube, and just ‘dot’ the rivets on. Make a mistake, wipe it off. Once dry and painted, they look pretty good.
I’ve riveted the tail fin but there are loads more to do.

I’ve also added the hinges to the filler cover on the tail from pieces of copper wire.
The rivets don’t show very clearly in the pics due to the tub only being in matt primer but they are there, and look quite nice so far. Once glossed, they’ll show up well. (I hope!)

Underneath, the under body has been measured and trimmed, and the main floor panel fabricated from ‘80’ and ‘30’ sheets of plasticard sandwiched together, with a 6mm step at each side for screwing to the sills. This allows me to remove the floor for chassis, engine and interior work, and then put it back easily later on.

Roy.

P1010050_zps2d6c1685.jpg

P1010049_zps88f7b928.jpg

P1010039_zpsc9888a9f.jpg

P1010038_zps92b48985.jpg

P1010040_zps307a8e3a.jpg

P1010041_zps71cfb798.jpg

• Like 1

A bit more done on the Big D.....

I’ve added a lip along the leading edge of the main tub for the bonnet (hood) to rest on later and also added some formers on the upper inside of the cockpit to fix the interior tub in place later.

The actual interior tub is a pretty basic shape other than two curved sections behind the seats so this shouldn’t present any problems.
Plasticard is wonderful stuff.

I mentioned on the Big C Type build that as there are no instructions to follow, everything is a case of looking at the real car, the model main tub, and working out how to make certain parts and how to fit them in place. I must admit that I find the head-scratching, problem solving - and frequent bafflement strangely enjoyable.

It's actually fun trying to figure out certain stages, long before they are reached.

With all that in mind, I needed to get on with the dashboard section as this will have to go in along with the interior tub before the front firewall area can be built up, which comes before making a start on the engine/chassis frames.

The dash is made of a piece of thick plywood with added details fabricated from plasticard and bits of scrap. The rivets were described in the last post. It is foiled on the ally surfaces using incredibly sticky aluminium tape from a Pound shop. It looks more like real Ally (because it is real Ally) than BMF, partly I think, due to its thickness.
There are also fuse boxes and relays to add to the left side of the dash. The gauges will be made up in Photoshop and printed as decals.
Switches and buttons were made from hair brush bristles(!) and brass rod.
I've tested the fit of the dash inside the body and all ok so far....

It might look as if I've somehow done loads of work in a matter of a few days, but bear in mind I actually started on this build a lot of weeks ago, running alongside my Alfa build.

Inner tub next......

Roy

P1010001_zpsda3834e5.jpg

P1010002_zpse35be7f4.jpg

P1010003_zps5500c414.jpg

P1010006_zps55d2f8a8.jpg

P1010007_zps0af72c0d.jpg

P1010014_zps088cd5d5.jpg

P1010015_zps633e6231.jpg

Edited by roymattblack