BAe Vulcan B3

Devilfish

Looks interesting.

Had you thought of leaving the tail fin off it and building it as a flying wing - you know it makes sense.

Yes. In fact one of my ideas for a Vulcan Whif is a Horten style flying wing in "What if Germany won ww2" colours

Yeah I have to agree with everyone, very clever what-if. Much much better than just a different paint job

Thanks. I try to think about my whifs in "real" terms. After all, the Vulcan was ancient technology when it was scrapped. So, if we were keeping them, why not make them as good as they could?

First class plastic surgery. Seamless job!

You haven't seen how much filler is on it, lol

Yeah I have to agree with everyone, very clever what-if. Much much better than just a different paint job (like me) :)

I have to echo that as my what-if is just a repaint as well. That is a great idea and I may have to do one of those myself. My imagination definitely needs some boosting :-(

I have to echo that as my what-if is just a repaint as well. That is a great idea and I may have to do one of those myself. My imagination definitely needs some boosting :-(

I don't see anything wrong with "just" a repaint. My Royal Navy F-14 was exactly that! I just think I've started thinking outside the box.....

.........it's a long and slippery path from here, lol :banghead:

Devlifish:

If I may ask What Prowler kit donated the cockpit? I have the old MDC kit of the Vulcan and this has definitely got me thinking more along the lines of an USAF or even SAC machine and maybe using Academy's Tweetie for the cockpit.

Thanx,

Carl

Second Tonka arrived today.....

Image0418.jpg

...so I have all the seats I need, an LRMTS and some armaments...

Did a bit of sanding

Image0419.jpg

With the canopies dropped in place

Image0420.jpg

Devlifish:

If I may ask What Prowler kit donated the cockpit? I have the old MDC kit of the Vulcan and this has definitely got me thinking more along the lines of an USAF or even SAC machine and maybe using Academy's Tweetie for the cockpit.

Thanx,

Carl

It was an old Matchbox one I found on a club stand at Peterborough show

Not much more to report. Did a lot of filling and sanding on the cockpit area and it's coming along nicely

Image0425.jpg

Not 100% happy with it yet though

Trying to figure out now the cockpit layout and indeed how I'm even going to build it!

I've made a floor, but have no idea how I'm going to get everything to line up properly.....

Instrument panels will be modified Tonka ones front and rear. A centre console will have to be made up for the front cockpit to house the throttles etc.....

Very imagiative build but I have got one question: would the crew still enter the cockpit from the bottom of the aircraft or would it have hinged canopies? You'd need some very long ladders if it's the second option which might make deployed operations interesting.

Very imagiative build but I have got one question: would the crew still enter the cockpit from the bottom of the aircraft or would it have hinged canopies? You'd need some very long ladders if it's the second option which might make deployed operations interesting.

well thats a problem I had to think about. The original hatch will remain, mainly for groundcrew access and maintenance. The canopies will be hinged with a specially adapted crew truck used on main operating bases. However in the event that the a/c has to land away from base, access to the lower hatch is available still.

well thats a problem I had to think about. The original hatch will remain, mainly for groundcrew access and maintenance. The canopies will be hinged with a specially adapted crew truck used on main operating bases. However in the event that the a/c has to land away from base, access to the lower hatch is available still.

Tu-22 Backfires use a similar thing as these aircraft only have hinged canopies for an entrance.

Looking great Devil! The Super Hornet has a pretty smooth ladder:

fa18f48jt_6.jpg

It just hinges flat, then tucks under the LERX. Food for thought right?

Thought about something like that but nowhere for it to fold.

You have to remember, this is the RAF, not the US forces. We never do the obvious and easy things!

Question.....How the hell did Avro manage to fit 2 ejector seats and a central console into a standard Vulcan cockpit, because I have made it wider and I can't do it!!!

So...as you might have realised, I've hit an obstacle.....

I've been using a Prowler cockpit tub in my STOVL Canberra project which fits quite well and I'm using a Vulcan canopy and I've not come across any serious problem. I did have to do some reshaping to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit tub to make it fit but the seats fit in ok. I can't think why you would be having a problem fitting them into the Vulcan though, it's a bit bigger in diameter to the Canberra.

Question.....How the hell did Avro manage to fit 2 ejector seats and a central console into a standard Vulcan cockpit, because I have made it wider and I can't do it!!!

So...as you might have realised, I've hit an obstacle.....

It is very tight in there!

Dan