BAe Vulcan B3

Devilfish

Not wanting to give too much away yet, as to what I will doing with this little project.......

In 1982 after the end of the Falklands war, the MOD realised that, with the phasing out of the Vulcan B2, a large hole would be left in the RAF's offensive capability.

The newly coming into service Tornado would never have the range that a large bomber inherently has. Immediate reaction to a crisis situation would no longer be possible in any future conflicts.

It was therefore decided that the RAF still needed its heavy, long range bombers still, if in a vastly reduced fleet.

A proposal was put forward to maintain a single squadron of at least 6 aircraft, which would be capable of carrying out immediate long-range pre-emptive and counter-strikes. However, due to its age, the existing Vulcan B2 was deemed as not really suitable for the role within the modern RAF.

The choice of aircraft available at the time was rather slim. The B-1B wasn't yet ready for service. The B-52 was as ancient as the outgoing Vulcan. Mutterings were heard of reviving the TSR-2 program, but were dismissed on cost grounds. There was even talk of re-equipping old B-58 Hustlers, but again, it was decided that the total cost would be too great.

The whole program nearly died a death were it not for a proposal put forward by a conglomeration of British aircraft and electronics companies for a solution to the problem.

The proposal was accepted and work began.

Enter the BAe Vulcan B3.

Edited by Devilfish

Might shock and upset some of the "vulcanites" on here..........

I presume that you are addressing the rear facing crew ejection issue (from your seat request)..?

Dan

Wasn't the B.Mk.3 the intended designation for the Phase 6 Vulcan with all the Skybolts and the ability to carry three Gnats around?

Maybe, but as it didn't make it off the drawing board it's available....

I presume that you are addressing the rear facing crew ejection issue (from your seat request)..?

Definately!

Nice idea, what sort of paint scheme are you planning?

Grey....... :whistle:

All will be revealed on the 31st

Mmmm, would they have still been in service at the outbreak of Gulf War 1?

Dan

Well.........as it doesn't let any secrets out, the story goes that they participated in GF1 and 2, and aided the B-52s and B-1Bs in Afghanistan before being finally retired.

Well.........as it doesn't let any secrets out, the story goes that they participated in GF1 and 2, and aided the B-52s and B-1Bs in Afghanistan before being finally retired.

Excellent, so a Pink Vulcan then..?

Dan

Took some photos last night of what I've got to work with (so far). Annoyingly, I can't get onto Photobucket at work!

I bought a Revell Tornado yesterday as a parts bin, only to find when I got home that I had bought the wrong one! I bought an ECR, not a IDS. Oh well, have to order another one as my LMS didn't have one in stock anyway (hence why I bought an ECR). Plenty of spares now, and already got an idea for the Tonka's remains (thanks to Dambuster :innocent:)

Photo's to come. Hopefully I'll get hold of my gf's camera as it's better than my phone!

Decided to hold off on most of the rest of the back story as things seem to be a little "fluid" at the moment (as they are with all my whifs!) but here's a taster....

Six aircraft were chosen from the fleet and were stripped to the bare shell and totally zero-lifed.

Every component was stripped, improved where possible, and rebuilt as new.

All the flight systems were replaced with the latest technology, mostly “borrowed” from the Tornado program. New ECM and ESM systems were fitted. The pylons, originally designed for Skybolt and found to be so useful during the Falklands campaign, were fitted and cleared to carry a wide variety of weapons.

The bomb bay was outfitted with a rotary dispenser similar to that of more modern planes.

FLIR and LRMTS systems were added, giving the underside a “lumpy” appearance. The redundant bombardier’s blister was removed.

The main visible difference between the B3 and its predecessors was in the cockpit area.

The main problem associated with the B2 was the lack of ejection seats for the rear crew. To address this problem and because of a reduced workload thanks to the new systems, the crew was reduced to 4. The crew consisted of Pilot, Co-pilot, Navigator/comms and Weapons/defensive systems operator.

The B3 acquitted itself well in both Gulf Wars and in Afghanistan, where it ably assisted both B-52 and B-1Bs. However, despite still not having a suitable replacement, in 2004, over 50 years after first entering service with the Royal Air Force, the Vulcan was finally retired.

Ok. First bit of the build then.

Box shots.....

No sprue shots as I'm sure we all know what a Vulcan looks like, lol Only using bits of the other kits too.

Vulcan

Image0399.jpg

Tonka no1 (no2 on order)

Image0400.jpg

Yep, definately a Vulcan

Image0398.jpg

Image0401.jpg

Cockpit donor....

Image0402.jpg

Canopy area roughly fitted

Image0410.jpg

Removal of bomb aimers blister

Image0411.jpg

That's it so far.....

Interesting start so far, Ill be watching this one....

The thought of cutting up a model kit just to use one or two pieces though....I couldn't do it... :fraidnot:

I was lucky. I got the Prowler at the Peterborough show for a couple of quid specifically for this job.

What have I started here? (Churchill's committee are still in debate....)

Peter

You'll see.

Did a bit of filling last night, so hopefully finish that off tonight....

Especially if you go for the lengthened forward fuselage project, which means you could have some bunks for extra crew on ultra long rang flights. Watch out, Argies!

Well the original plan was to have a small galley/bunk under the cockpit, but then I thought about the fact that the crew would be sitting in live ejection seats and the idea of sliding in and out of them would probably not be too appealing.....:boom: