BAe Vulcan B3

Devilfish

Ok, it's been a while. No photos yet, but work been done.

It did a little trial fitting with the seats. The rear was no problem, even managed to get the side consoles in ok. Instrument panels are Tonka rear seater's.

Front intrument panels are, unsurprisingly, tonka front seater's, severly narrowed. A central console has been made up, but it's very narrow, effectively only holding the throttles. Strange really, as I saw a pic of a Vulcan cockpit and there's 2 seats and a huge console between them....

Got the wings on, attatched to the upper fuselage. The lower fuselage has yet to be fitted. Just finishing off sanding the lovely intakes smooth.

As for the issue of access ladders. It struck me, the RAF have lots of these lying around03021.jpg

:ditto: No doubt there Devilfish, superb concept :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Thanks. I guess I'm just a perfectionist who's ambitions outweigh my skills......

Well it looks ok in actual size, so I'll leave it.

Not really had time to do anything this week as I have a guest, but I will have to crack on next week. Also got my BuccGB project to start :hypnotised:

i think you have made a good job of the cockpit decals, as had the vulcan ever had a significant cockpit

upgrade in the mid 1970's, using tornado type avionics this is probably how it would have looked.

Well it seemed the obvious choice, to keep costs down on such a low volume aircraft (only 6 to be built). Most of the avionics would have been Tornado too, as is the radar and TFR

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report at the moment. Had a friend staying and also had a few things to sort out in the house. But I manage to sneak in a bit of work when I can....

Main structure is together and wings on. It's been over 20 years since I built this kit and I'd forgotten what a pain it was. Managed to get a decent joint free intake system, but the wing/fuselage join is horrendous!!

Basically it's been a case of fill, sand, repeat......

Not much to report at the moment. Had a friend staying and also had a few things to sort out in the house. But I manage to sneak in a bit of work when I can....

Main structure is together and wings on. It's been over 20 years since I built this kit and I'd forgotten what a pain it was. Managed to get a decent joint free intake system, but the wing/fuselage join is horrendous!!

Basically it's been a case of fill, sand, repeat......

Devilfish:

I have to ask. Did you rescribe the panel lines or leave them raised? I am pondering that on mine and if you rescribed; how difficult was it?

Thanx,

Carl

Devilfish:

I have to ask. Did you rescribe the panel lines or leave them raised? I am pondering that on mine and if you rescribed; how difficult was it?

Thanx,

Carl

I'm not that good. I left them raised, so when they're gone, they're gone. I have toyed with the idea of drawing them back in with a pencil afterpainting, but I doubt my skills even stretch that far......

I'm not that good. I left them raised, so when they're gone, they're gone. I have toyed with the idea of drawing them back in with a pencil afterpainting, but I doubt my skills even stretch that far......

I like the idea of using a pencil. I have never tried that. I am looking at painting mine in the lizard camouflage since the bone was painted in that way and I think the pencil would look pretty good.

Good luck with it. I really like the difference that cockpit makes.

Thanx,

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, it's been a while. Unfortunately various other things, like decorating, have taken precedence. Just a few pics of what I've done...

Image0577.jpg

Image0578.jpg

Lots of filling, sanding, priming and repeat. Don't think I'm going to get it any better. At least it's given me time to think about the colour scheme......

........and that I really must get a decent camera

HI-YA Fella, good work so far dont worry about drawing the lines on its easier than you might think. I drew lines on an old Monogram A26 B some years ago - it looked impressive as my scribing was not as good then and this way was easier. I used a roatering pen of about 0.3 mm diamiter. ...................think yourself lucky i`ve just commited myself to re-scribing mine, and Two Mikes resin intakes/ and U/C , and resin wheels, and Flightpath update, and Silver Cloud exhausts, oh did i mention i`m looking to scratch build a bomb bay just to make it a little bit differant?????? So far i`ve used `speed tape` and a Bare Metal srciber a brand new one. You could pre shade the panel lines with black then paint the model its colour then finally gentally sand the paint finish off to reveal the black pre shading on the raised line. OR just to confuse matters further you could just use a 0.3mm clicker pencil as it will draw the same constant thickness line across the whole of ya model. Which ever..................keep up the v.good work, ;)

Cheers Amos. TBH, not sure how I'm going to proceed in that dept.

I'm wanting to open the bomb bay too, hence no bomb doors yet. However, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do it. Especially as I was planning on building a rotary launcher in there.

Just got hold of the 1/72 Bucc for it's Pave Spike pod. You can just about see the pylons under the wings, which are modified Tornado ones.

Hope to get some more done after the weekend.

Ok, it's been a while. Unfortunately various other things, like decorating, have taken precedence. Just a few pics of what I've done...

Image0577.jpg

Image0578.jpg

Lots of filling, sanding, priming and repeat. Don't think I'm going to get it any better. At least it's given me time to think about the colour scheme......

........and that I really must get a decent camera

Devilfish:

That is looking great. My progress as stalled while I deal with life, but I want to get mine done, especailly after seeing yours. The B-52 pylons didn't cute look right, so I'll have to look going your route. Are they 1/72 or 1/48? A rotary launcher in the bomb bay, I knew I should have kept Academy's F-111. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Thanx,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Fred. Finding life is getting in the way a bit too. Been decorating with the girlfriend and it's left me little time for models. Only bonus is one room I'm doing is to be my hobby room.

The pylons are off the 2 Revell 1/72 tonka's I bought for the seats.... :gobsmacked:

Don't worry, I will be using the Skyshadow and Boz pods too, lol (and the bombs)

I think at this rate though, I won't have time during this GB to completely finish it. If I can get it 95% done, I'll button up the bomb bay temporarily and finish it off later......

Normal service will hopefully resume next week!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
well done mate looks good

Cheers Mark. There's a lot I'm not happy with, but had to go with because of the time constraint. IMO the fuselage roundels need to be smaller. The serial no should obviously be white. There's no actual radome. I had thought about paiting it on in black after numerous attempt to scribe it on failed.

Hopefully at some point in the future I'll come back to it and fix these problems and add the second pair of weapons pylons I was planning (at the last minute) and maybe the rotary launcher in the bomb bay.