Doc's Gooney Bird

Dr_Fester

Thanks guys :winkgrin:

Well progress is being made with the Gooney Bird. Having had MANY attempts using raised rivet detail embossed on the reverse of the foil I have had to throw in the towel. Although more accurate in theory my attempts at adding the raised rivets just looked too exaggerated and toy like. So I have taken the lead from Pierre and used his example of adding recessed rivet detail, not strictly accurate but in this scale I think looks much neater.

Dak24.jpg

Searching for reference photos of rivet detail it seems many airframes have different rivet layouts and I can only go from the few reference photos I have for the bird I am building. This includes adding 4 extra windows, 2 near the tail and 2 up front. Glazing taken from an old CD case.

Dak25.jpg

Dak26.jpg

As this kit is based on a WWII C-47 Skytrain it still had the opening for the top radome above the cockpit and unfortunately the aircraft I am modelling is without the dome. So this had to be filled and sanded down flush and will be finished with an additional foil plate later. I have still to add the cockpit glass but thought I would make a start on the foiling.

Dak27.jpg

More soon

Doc :frantic:

Edited by Dr_Fester

Managed to get some more modelling time in today and got over my first potential stumbling block, foiling the cockpit area.

Dak28.jpg

It seems not much has changed but I wasn't happy with some of the panels so they have been replaced. The cockpit glass has been installed along with 2 blanking panels on top of the cockpit area.

Dak29.jpg

Still some of this foiling requires rivet detail adding (...ahem only having seen the photos closeup :confused: ), but the curves of the cockpit caused less headaches for this flexible foil which was a bonus.

Dak30.jpg

Before closing the cockpit I added an additional instrument dial as per my refs, not sure what it is compass maybe? Anyhow I will continue foiling the rest of the fus and hopefully post some pics as I go.

Cheers

Doc

Sergey, glad you like it so far.

I have added more foiling to the port side today;

Dak31.jpg

Dak32.jpg

The foil does have a brushed grain effect as Sergey has pointed out, so far I have only used the vertical grain on the cockpit door. The door's handle has been removed as I will be scratch building one later.

First problem encountered today as I opened a new roll of foil and found it to be more shiny than the previous roll and adhesive much more sticky. This causes lines on the foil as it's removed from the backing which has to be removed by burnishing with cotton buds. :confused:

More soon...

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Thanks guys, Rob the Sabre looks real nice and foiling work very neat.

As we are blessed with some sunshine today I thought a few pics outside might show off the shine a little more.

Dak33.jpg

I'm making slow progress foiling toward the rear of the fuselage, leaving panels joining wings etc to be completed when it all comes together.

Dak34.jpg

A few dodgy rivet lines but I can live with that, trying to following the reference pics I have as close as possible.

Dak35.jpg

Also using some conformable white vinyl from work for the nose, this stuff is used for applying to vehicles and is very flexible almost like a thick cling film. Just cut a piece slightly larger than you need and stretch over the nose then trim the excess.

Dak36.jpg

The Gooney I'm building has had a few different paint schemes some with a white nose and some without, but I will go for the white version as stretching foil over the nose would be a recipe for disaster.

Dak_nose.jpg

Someone pointed out that the foiling looks too shiny but as you can see the full size one certainly isn't matt or dull so I'm happy with the finish.

More soon......

Doc

A little update on the GooneyBird;

Eventually got the the whole fuselage foiled, less the joints to be foiled when assembled. To say its a tedious job would be the mother of all understatements, damn Alclad seems like such an easy option now!

Anyhow a few pics;

Dak37.jpg

Rudder hinges have been added and rudder itself requires a re-enforcing plate adding before the whole thing gets sprayed white.

Dak38.jpg

The 2 added windows towards the tail for some reason I have mis-aligned due to me going from another reference photo and guessing. The 2 windows should be aligned but I am leaving it for now.

Dak39.jpg

Dak40.jpg

Dak41.jpg

Dak42.jpg

Scratchbuilt the fairing for the tail strobe by splitting a cotton bud stem and after shaping adding to each side of the tail.

The finish is very easily marked with nails etc so a jig is a must when marking and riveting the foil. Next up will be the tailplane which need the elevators split and hinges added.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Thx guys. :thumbsup:

A little more progress with the tail now and having cut the elevators off I have added the tailplane to the C-47. The rudder & elevators will be added later when I am ready to spray the underside of the aircraft white along with control surfaces.

Dak43.jpg

Top and bottom of the tail have been foiled and now complete.

Dak44.jpg

Foiling as actually overlapped and riveted unlike the rest of the fuselage which is butt jointed.

Dak46.jpg

Dak45.jpg

Next to tackle will be the MLG and installing the rest of the wiring.

More soon.....

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

What foil are you using Doc? You mentioned it coming from a roll. I'm aware of the stuff that comes in sheets, but at £5 per sheet, and such a small sheet at that, I discounted any possibility of using it myself. I investigated other stuff but it was not intended for modelling and the thickness appeared too great (I think it was plumbing stuff).

Your patience on this project is zen like! Watching this with interest.

Incidentally how are you going to tackle painting over foil? Will it adhere readily or will you need to key it first?

MH