1/48 Javelin FAW.9, 25 Sqn.

While the weather continues to be unfavourable for gardening or hiking, and with no play to rehearse for, it seems there’s ample opportunity to start another kit. I’d considered a couple of others including the Kinetic Harrier T-bird and a crud n’ custard Zvezda Herc, but with two of these Javelins in the stash I fancied getting one on the shelves.

The now familiar box.

IMG-5766.jpg

The moulding and finely engraved panel lines look excellent.

IMG-5768.jpg

Big colourful decal sheet. But will there be aftermarket alternatives? 

IMG-5767.jpg

Of course there will!

IMG-5769.jpg

And reference material. The Jav is one of my favourites so got a few books to use.

IMG-5765.jpg

I’ll be doing it in the Xtradecal markings for 25 squadron, this aircraft, XH909/R based at RAF Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire in 1960-61.

IMG-3502.jpg

• Like 10

Here are the colours I’ll be using. Wheel bays, oleos and airbrake interiors are all silver like the undersides, so I’ll try and use a different shade of silver for those.

IMG-5797.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your build. I have never seen an actual real-life Javelin, even in museums. 
I am on the lookout for this kit, watching for a discount, but they are hard to find.  

• Thanks 1

Got to love a Flying Flat Iron! I live between Waterbeach and Oakington so anything to do with these old bases get my attention, looking forward to watching the progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see have seen the real thing flying! I've still got my original release unopened in the loft so looking forward to seeing how you get on being another local-ish to Waterbeach boy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the grand opening of the box yesterday I finally got some time to actually do some work on the Javelin. As usual, it starts with the cockpit area (although the very first part is building the nosewheel bay that fits under the cockpit). Here’s the tub as it is at the moment.

IMG-5805.jpg

The kit decals only include one dial for the nav and the pilot’s instrument panel. The rest is a combination of dry brushing and posca pen. I scratchbuilt a tiny throttle lever, though that doesn’t really show in the photo. 

• Like 1

Generally it’s quite a good fit, just a bit of encouragement needed on the intake area while the glue sets. It all slots together rather nicely.

IMG-5810.jpg

• Like 4

Somewhat reminiscent of a giant moth, the wings are done. Apparently it was unusual for parked Javelins to sit with the airbrakes open, but whilst I want it to be as accurate as possible I also want it to have a bit of extra interest on the shelf, so these will be open. Unless I mess up the painting in which case I’ll end up closing them. It’s a nice touch by Airfix having old fashioned hinged ailerons.

IMG-5812.jpg

Wing undersides showing the nicely detailed wheel wells. No etched parts needed for this one, it’s a lovely kit.

IMG-5813.jpg

• Like 3

She’s a big beast! 

IMG-5814.jpg

The tail fin is a good fit, I’m really impressed with this kit so far. Just a few seams need some light filling and sanding along the fuselage joins. I hope the wings are a good fit without massive join lines at the roots.

• Like 2

Some more progress this morning, with the airbrakes fitted and wings glued on. 

I’ve only seen one photo of a Javelin on the ground with the airbrakes out, and that looked like the engines were running, so I’ve changed my mind and fitted them closed.

IMG-5819.jpg

IMG-5820.jpg

• Like 3

Neat and  quick progress. Not a fan of the big ali triangle. I have a feeling the only reason the Javelin came to be was, an over supply of aluminium. The metal producers plied their story to the government and the Javelin was born! JMTPW.

Colin

• Confused 1

Close-ups never do me any favours, but I’ve tarted up the seats a bit, mostly with Tamiya tape and a few tiny plastic offcuts. 

IMG-5821.jpg

They should look acceptable once hidden in that deep, black pit!

IMG-5823.jpg

• Like 4

Surprisingly, a spare Buccaneer canopy fits well enough to cover the cockpit with a little tape and blu-tack. 

IMG-5824.jpg

Sanding complete underneath and ready for spraying the silver.

• Like 4

Thanks @MarcNewitt, yes it’s a good book that, though a while since I read it - thanks for reminding me, I’ll dig it out the loft again while doing this build.

Some more progress, with the coat of gloss dark sea grey sprayed. Looks pretty smooth, thankfully.

IMG-5826.jpg

IMG-5827.jpg

IMG-5828.jpg

I’ll let it dry a while now before adding the blu-tack worms and masking ready for the green.

• Like 8

I got quite a bit done on the Jav this afternoon. First up, having read another thread on BM I removed the stall warning protrusions from the upper wing surfaces. I’ll add one small one to each wing after the roundels are applied.

IMG-5830.jpg

I also drilled out the underside air scoops.

IMG-5832.jpg

Next up, the dreaded blu-tack worms and polythene bag combination for masking. Always painstaking but necessary.

IMG-5831.jpg

Not too bad! There’s definitely some areas that’ll need touching up. I need to find some pots of gloss DSG and dark green for the canopy sills too. Any recommendations?

IMG-5835.jpg

IMG-5836.jpg

IMG-5837.jpg

I’ve also realised that the codes on the Xtradecal sheet for 25 Sqn are wrong - they should be just white not with a red border, so I’ve ordered some plain letters and now intend to complete this as XH882, coded L.

• Like 4

I guess I am a bit late with this - a Javelin on the ground had both ailerons slightly ‘up’ - unusual but true.  Any photo of a Javelin on the ground (not a derelict or museum example) will show you.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:22 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

Good build so far. Of course the big problem with this kit is ITS THE WRONG SCALE. Airfix, if you are listening, fix it.

If you can find an Airfix 1:72 kit, I can supply what you need to correct and enhance it!