Fairey Swordfish Mk.I (No. 824 NAS 945 | K8386)

Greetings everyone,

After a brief hiatus, I'm back with the new Airfix Swordfish Mk.1. It's an excellent kit and I thoroughly enjoyed building it, although rigging a 1:72 scale model took some time. Being away from my main workbench presented additional challenges as the tools and materials available here are limited. I used Tamiya and Mr. Color silver paints for the aircraft. Despite the kit providing decal options for the black markings, I chose to mask and paint them for a more natural finish. While researching Fairey Swordfish markings, I came across several options, but I opted for No. 824 NAS 945 K8386, based on HMS Eagle out of Hong Kong, for my paint scheme.

I considered weathering the aircraft, but ultimately decided to keep it clean. One criticism I have about the kit is that the struts were quite soft, making it difficult to mount the wings together. Even slight pressure would cause the struts to break, and repairing them proved to be a bit challenging. However, the overall fit of the kit was great.

Without further delay, here is my rendition. Thank you for watching, cheers.

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

PS pictures were shot using an iPhone.

• Like 47

Beautifully executed and photographed. Your decision to keep it clean makes for some lovely graphic shapes in the sunlight.  This is the only biplane I'm even remotely interested in building, and this certainly inspires me, I assumed it was 1/48 when I saw the first photo. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jhutchi said:

Very nice 

Thank you, Mate

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Pretty Swordfish Sir !!

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

Much appreciated for the kind words, Mate. Cheers

8 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

That's a nice little stringbag :like:

Thank you, too many of these stringbag will make me bald for sure.

8 hours ago, Keeff said:

That's a very nice reward for your efforts ... 👌 

Keith 😁 

Thank you Keith, Cheers

30 minutes ago, TimT said:

Beautifully executed and photographed. Your decision to keep it clean makes for some lovely graphic shapes in the sunlight.  This is the only biplane I'm even remotely interested in building, and this certainly inspires me, I assumed it was 1/48 when I saw the first photo. 

Thank you, I like rigging stringbag it is just that sometimes I need to have lots of cold beers or just squash the darn aircraft haha, I once squashed a Sopwith Camel, Academy 1/72. But rigging teaches you to be calm and patient. She is a beautiful aircraft for sure, I am thinking of doing another Japanese aircraft F1M2 with fewer strings tho. But let see, once again thank you for the Kind words, Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 4:02 AM, Mig88 said:

That is spectacular! Beautifully built and finished indeed. Well done!

Miguel

Thanks, Miguel. Really appreciate the kind words, cheers
kk.jpg
It is a sunny day and couldn't resist a shot depicting it as it is flying, with a little photoshop magic voilà.

• Like 3

On 24/03/2024 at 03:54, tomthounaojam said:

I like rigging stringbag it is just that sometimes I need to have lots of cold beers or just squash the darn aircraft haha, I once squashed a Sopwith Camel, Academy 1/72. But rigging teaches you to be calm and patient.

Good finish, I love biplanes, and Swordfish is one of my favourites. I have built one of these, but my second attempt ended badly. I decided to to make the folded wings version, but when it came time to attach them, for some reason they went on in a wrong angle, so they looked like Wildcat wings. I tried to straighten them, but that just made the rigging lines loose. Something was obviously warped, but I don't know what. At that point when there was no hope of finishing the kit so that it would look right, I first crushed it in my hands and them stomped on it.

Fortunately I have still three in my stash, one of them the float plane version. One thing is sure, I'm not gonna try the folded wing version a second time.

An impressive looking Swordfish.  And the doing the rigging in this scale to your level of accomplishment is a feat all in itself.  Just a beautiful model.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, georgeusa said:

An impressive looking Swordfish.  And the doing the rigging in this scale to your level of accomplishment is a feat all in itself.  Just a beautiful model.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, bud. Really appreciate the kind words. Doing these string bag often would make me bald tho haha

8 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very impressive pictures and model. Natural light is always the best!

Andy 

Thank you, Indeed, I like natural lighting the best and also don't have a fancy photo setup so whenever I could I just do natural lighting

7 hours ago, CH-53D said:

Lovely model!  The "in flight" picture is particularly nice.

Cheers

Thanks, Mate, cheers 

• Like 1