King Tiger s.Pz.Abt.505.

Placeholder.

This will be my kit for the upcoming GB. A reasonably priced and detailed kit with added zimmerit. I can only do a 505 as there is a big slice taken out of the zim for the knight decal, but I like the camo schemes available.

My Jagdtiger had to be pushed to one side as on opening the box I realised I have half finished it. I don't remember doing this and why I stopped!😳 (Rule 3 may come into play if I have time to get it finished.) 

I may upgrade the tracks as the kit ones are link and length. I will have a good look at them first before spending money.

spacer.png

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Nice choice Stef!  👌 

Thanks Keith and Simon. It should be straight forward unless I make it more complicated than it needs to be.😁👍

• Like 1

I have not seen this kit before, I thought it may have been the Dragon kit but the box says it's Takom.  When Dragon initially released their sPzr.Abt.505 KT you had to add your own zimmerit, they later re-released it using their moulded on zimmerit kit, it will be interesting to see this kit being built. :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have not seen this kit before, I thought it may have been the Dragon kit but the box says it's Takom.  When Dragon initially released their sPzr.Abt.505 KT you had to add your own zimmerit, they later re-released it using their moulded on zimmerit kit, it will be interesting to see this kit being built. :popcorn:

This is very much like the Dragon kit with moulded zim. I have one of those gathering dust on the shelf. I think Takom borrowed their idea closely. 👍

• Like 1

Very very nice choice… I was waiting to see what you’d pick…. I heard you saying it could be a jt or kt. That box art livery is pretty cool and like the look of the das werk kits.

Edited by Muchmirth
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

Very very nice choice… I was waiting to see what you’d pick…. I heard you saying it could be a jt or kt. That box art livery is pretty cool and like the look of the das werk kits.

I did a Das Werk Panther and I enjoyed how they simplified everything, got rid of any fussyness but still produced a detailed model. Hopefully more of the same.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

An impressive beast, Stef. Looking forward to seeing the build. 

Cheers Ian.

I presume/hope you have something planned for this GB?👍

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Ian.

I presume/hope you have something planned for this GB?👍

I have indeed. I'll be posting some pics tomorrow! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the obligatory sprue shots and a full explainer of what I will be doing.

Firstly a very well packaged kit in a sturdy box. Well done to Das Werk for this overlooked area. They know people have boxes sat in stashes for a long time. And just over £30 is a very good price.

p?i=4726308144b7d34d37f344e702679fc3

Good quality reference material from which I got the vehicle I will be doing.

p?i=92815488d508bda4acf98df2d2a8f802

p?i=f26974028e32ec781d3a8a888698715a

The kit itself is nicely detailed without being overly fussy.

p?i=50c7f5a3ed2df8e8e442112ebcd09ea4

p?i=d9b00a667c253a4d88b31430ed220056

With decent zimmerit texture.

p?i=2488c6d6c94bb1a5f8ed8cce82ac9e09

And the extras and some bits from the spares box to make the command variant.

p?i=62a181d11895590e291b2a22bd8a84ba

Can't wait to get started. Cheers everyone.:thumbsup:

• Like 12

That zimmerit looks spot on. Regular but slightly irregular - if you know what I mean! 😄

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IanC said:

That zimmerit looks spot on. Regular but slightly irregular - if you know what I mean! 😄

I know exactly what you mean.😁 I like using Atak's zim but it is a tad too neat and tidy. This looks like a factory worker has got it done quickly.

Nice looking kit @Stef N. ... and as mentioned the zimmeritt detail is very good. 

One to watch as I've not built a Das Werk kit ...... yet! 

Keith  😁 

• Thanks 1

This will be good I'm sure!

Some excellent reference material too. Personally I just rely upon a certain retired gentleman of this parish to helpfully point things out for me, after it's done....

:doh:  :rofl:

Good luck Stef, not that you'll need it!

Darryl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 30/03/2024 at 16:26, Stef N. said:

And the extras and some bits from the spares box to make the command variant.

As a certain Gentleman from the West Coast area remarked about doing some research BEFORE you get to the decaling stage, I thought I would share this photo with you Stef, just in case it's not in any of your reference material.  The batch of KTs that s.Pzr.Abl.505 received in August 44 did not have the half round armour covers on the turret rear hatch bars, this photo shows it best:

Befehlstiger (Sd.Kfz. 267) Panzer VI Ausf. B Tiger II of s.Pz.Abt.505.

Most of the photos I've seen of the command tanks used Roman numerals like this on the rear hatch and gun mantlet.

Good luck with your build, as you said earlier, it looks very similar to the Dragon kit. :like:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As a certain Gentleman from the West Coast area remarked about doing some research BEFORE you get to the decaling stage, I thought I would share this photo with you Stef, just in case it's not in any of your reference material.  The batch of KTs that s.Pzr.Abl.505 received in August 44 did not have the half round armour covers on the turret rear hatch bars, this photo shows it best:

Befehlstiger (Sd.Kfz. 267) Panzer VI Ausf. B Tiger II of s.Pz.Abt.505.

Most of the photos I've seen of the command tanks used Roman numerals like this on the rear hatch and gun mantlet.

Good luck with your build, as you said earlier, it looks very similar to the Dragon kit. :like:

My colour profile has the armour but I can't find it anywhere else. Well spotted as it is something I would have chucked them on. That is the only photo with the Roman numerals. I may leave it off as I am not 100% certain at this moment. I found another cool photo though. One to highlight the Knight for @Mjwomack too.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

My colour profile has the armour but I can't find it anywhere else. Well spotted as it is something I would have chucked them on. That is the only photo with the Roman numerals. I may leave it off as I am not 100% certain at this moment. I found another cool photo though. One to highlight the Knight for @Mjwomack too.

That brings us back to the problem with profiles and box art not being accurate.  I built my first KT in s.Pz.Abt.505 markings and added those covers.  I had to apply my own zimmerit with putty so added it over the covers, when I found they weren't fitted it made quite a mess removing them.  I have seen that photo colourised, I was quite excited thinking it was a real colour photo until the penny dropped that it wasn't.  Good photo though, taken in the summer of 44 just after they had re-equipped with the KT.

• Like 2

Wheels and base given a coat of red primer, XF9 Hull Red. I don't bother with primers usually but I have found the red lifts the yellow so that is what will be happening. No major problems with assembly so far. A tiny bit of cleaning up but nothing to worry about. So far I am impressed with this kit.:thumbsup:

As I am going for an OOB build I will be doing the base and tracks completely then the rest of the stuff.

p?i=0dd7269219da9261a8a3193ee3c73a4a

p?i=2dbced637e4ab8e1ba98dd21679b5760

Cheers all.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Wheels and base given a coat of red primer, XF9 Hull Red. I don't bother with primers usually but I have found the red lifts the yellow so that is what will be happening.

It's looking good with the primer, I have some red primer so I will copy your idea and see if it lifts the top colour.  From my previous builds I found that if you don't mask off the axles, the paint will build up and it will be a pain to clean it off to fit the wheels and hubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

It's looking good with the primer, I have some red primer so I will copy your idea and see if it lifts the top colour.  From my previous builds I found that if you don't mask off the axles, the paint will build up and it will be a pain to clean it off to fit the wheels and hubs.

They'll be getting a bit of a rub down before any glue or it will cause a bit of a headache. 👍

• Like 1