NuNu Audi A4 BTCC

When I first saw this kit announced I knew I was going to buy one. Then there was a long long wait. Not quite Belkits level of waiting but long enough. I had hoped to get it last year in Japan but it was delayed again and in the end I found this one as local to me as Chester model centre where Mrs galaxyg and I went for a day trip the other week.

I've no problem with two builds on the go at once, so it joins the Repsol Delta on the bench.

Much like the Colin McRae games by Codemasters introduced me to rallying, the TOCA games also by Codemasters introduced me to the BTCC, at the time of the Super Touring era and all the great cars in it. I can only wonder/hope what other models from that era NuNu might have planned. Should they ever announce the RapidFit Mondeo, I will do a little dance.

spacer.png

Lots of nicely detailed parts.

spacer.png

The rear bumper was a little splayed so I had to reinforce one side's joint. Hidden on this photo.

spacer.png

After sanding off the moulded-in bonnet and boot pins (I've left enough of them to remind me where to fit some PE ones) I primed the body and interior and then sprayed in Tamiya Mica Silver.

spacer.png

• Like 16

Good to see you starting this build.  Certainly from a great era of British Touring cars. Some great racing

with the Audi, Mondeos, Vectra, Laguna etc etc.  Great personalities among the drivers as well

Grabbed a seat and following closely.

Chris

• Thanks 1

It's good to see one of these in build . I've had to think long and hard about buying this , and the BTCC Volvo S40 , but I'm resisting the urge as my rally cars only philosophy is kicking in  ! Like the others have said this was a special time in British National racing with works teams , top drivers , huge budgets and great racing . This build will bring back some brilliant memories for me . I remember standing in awe in the paddock at Donington Park at the scale of the BTCC back then . More like Formula 1 ! The teams had separate trucks just to carry spare body panels !!!

Gary .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Much like the Colin McRae games by Codemasters introduced me to rallying, the TOCA games also by Codemasters introduced me to the BTCC, at the time of the Super Touring era and all the great cars in it.

Nice start on the kit so far. Great idea not fully sanding the moulded bonnet pins off I'll have to remember that trick.

My gateway to both BTCC and rallying was delivered, like you, by Codemasters in the '90s. The fact I'm wearing a 555 Subaru bobble hat at work right now is not a coincidence 😉

If Nunu bring the Volvo out in 1998 or 1999 Silver I'd be in - no sign of any aftermarkets yet. TOCA 2 (1998) was my first introduction, and early 1999 was the first race I watched on TV, sat on the bed watching the little TV because we had family round.

Jo

• Thanks 1

While I will be watching this, and like the idea of the Volvo, I'd probably only get a BTCC car up near the top of my prospective purchase list if Tamiya were to re-release the 850R Estate 😈

Not sure where you find the time for two on the table at once, I struggle with getting one done at a time in a reasonably timescale.

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2024 at 23:01, galaxyg said:

Should they ever announce the RapidFit Mondeo, I will do a little dance.

You and me both!

After sanding off the moulded-in bonnet and boot pins (I've left enough of them to remind me where to fit some PE ones)

I drill a small hole in the middle of the moulded on ones to remind me where replacements will go so I can sand off the plastic ones completely flush.

I found this one as local to me as Chester model centre where Mrs galaxyg and I went for a day trip the other week.

How on earth do you get your missus to go on a day trip to a model shop, mine would rather go to the dentist....??!! :)

Looking forward to seeing this one progress

Keith

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I drill a small hole in the middle of the moulded on ones to remind me where replacements will go so I can sand off the plastic ones completely flush.

How on earth do you get your missus to go on a day trip to a model shop, mine would rather go to the dentist....??!! :)

Hole drilling a better idea!

Day trip - ah it was a day trip to Chester. They just happen to have a model shop. Destination wasn't my suggestion and I didn't expect to find the Audi.

• Like 1

Good start to this model. There are a number of interesting decal sheets from SK Decals, including the championship winning ORIX Audi from the Australian Super Touring Championship that I might just have to get....

Looking forward to the progress.

• Thanks 1

I put on two smaller decals to begin with and clear coated them to make sure no unwanted reactions would happen. All seems OK.

spacer.png

The 4 rings look a bit wrinkly in the photos but they're not like that in reality. Everything went down smooth and easy and the decals slide off the sheet after only 20 seconds in water.  The rings have 100% carrier film inside the two OO on the door so they're not at all flimsy. The rear quarter/boot rings are a separate piece.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 15

I’m honestly so glad to see this kit being built, I saw this car race on tv when I was just a kid, it was on our 18” bubble tv, we had just gotten “cable” tv and I was hooked on the speed channel. You’ll make this thing a beauty no doubt! 

• Thanks 1

After clearcoating the body but forgetting to photograph it, I've installed the light buckets. They are chrome and have tiny mounting/glue contact points - which then need the chrome scraped off too. So I've reverted my my usual method- great blobs of PVA.

spacer.png

Amazingly the Tamiya Acrylic black stuck to the chrome enough - and I wiped off the raised areas without getting unwanted wiped areas.

spacer.png

Part way through the face.

spacer.png

Rear lights painted and installed.

spacer.png

Completed face. Should look even better once the PVA has dried clear.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Love this car and you are making a great job of it.The lines of the car complemented by the subtle scheme and Biela behind the

wheel, what’s not to love.  Looking forward to seeing the finished car

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The instructions would have everything underneath except the hubs, brakes and struts black. Seems a bit boring to me so I made the chassis silver.

spacer.png

And here are the brakes and struts. The red is done with a magic marker.

spacer.png

Completed chassis.

spacer.png

The tyres are great - the moulding seam line is on the shoulder rather than right down the middle, which is just so much better.

spacer.png

Testing out how these things go together in order to see that classis Super Touring stance.

The instructions would have you put the wheels on last which is entirely wrong, they'd never fit past the arches.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Oh wow, this is bringing back som many memories. Beautiful model as always.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Potsie . So many memories coming flooding back with this build . I think the A4 and BMW 3 Series from the same year were my favourite Super Touring cars . The big wheels and camber just made them look so good . I think your right to finish the chassis in silver . The rest of the car is silver so why wouldn't the chassis be ? 

Gary .

• Thanks 1

This is coming on very nicely! I agree about the wheels/tyres - they all seemed to defy the size of the wheel arch.

I loved the 90s tin tops, watching on Grandstand and playing the TOCA games (the first two at least, it all went wrong by the third instalment). I recently got the Volvo S40 and it looks great in the box. Here's hoping Tamiya get around to re-popping the 850 estate one day. And while I'm wishlisting, Mr Nunu, could you add the 94 Alfa 155 and the 98 Laguna to your 'to do' list, ta. Oh and Cleland's Cavalier, purely to recreate the I'm Going For First moment :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Small update. The windscreen is supplied with window masks for the inside and the outside to make spraying easier, and it is better to glue on the wipers now and the kill switches.

spacer.png

The instructions say to fit the windscreen from the outside. This is actually physically impossible due to the width of the scuttle panel *and* the kit has so very clearly been engineered to enable the windscreen to slip in easily from the inside, I'm amazed the instruction writers and illustrators could get this wrong. Having been an assembly instructions illustrator for a decent part of my early career (sadly not model kits) - instructions are a lot easier than say - matched metal tooling for the kit itself. And yet here we are, Nunu and also Belkits both fail here somewhat in what should be the easiest part.

The glue area is quite small however and the tolerances of the kit are so tight as to require some clamping. With the glass I feel perhaps the tolerances are *too* perfect.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looks like a super kit, and have not seen it  before. I'm building the Toyota Carina E of 1993. I certainly remember the Audi Saloon Car Teams during my 20+ years of Marshalling a Silverstone. I must look out for this kit!

• Thanks 1

Neat looking job on the 'glasswork' there - have to admit it's really become my very least favourite bit of car models!! 

On 16/03/2024 at 17:23, Bobby No Mac said:

Oh and Cleland's Cavalier,

And the Rapid Fit Mondeo - pretty please Mr Nunu....!! :)

Keith

• Like 3