A while ago I got a gluebomb Stap & Battle Droid for not too much from the bay.

I've used up most of the Stap in a previous build on here. Now to use up the Droid.

The recipe goes like this, Take one old 1/48th Skyraider  and a 1/32nd Puma tail boom. Both first built in the '80's.

Strip down the Skyraider to the fuselage and sand both until fairly free of old Humbrol. Add imagination (1ltr).

FsSyz16.jpg

Here's the Droid. I unglued the arms but the knees won't move yet.

tNRPkNa.jpg

This is a chunk of the Stap. It's Star Wars architecture so that's a good thing. But it needed a little something...

Where the Tank Idler wheel sits was just a boring bump. This makes it more mechanical. (a touch of kreiger?)

YNnPTr0.jpg

And now you can see where it goes. And the basic concept of this thing.

N21gzx6.jpg

That's a length of 20mm conduit that adds strength & holds the two pieces together.

VcjPsTs.jpg

And now what it's all about. Think Cafe' racer motorbike. This is just a basic mock up obviously.

The Droids hands will go onto the Skyraider taiplanes. It's going to be posed in flight so he'll need a saddle.

Feet will go into stirrups. There will be landing gear too. No obvious control panel. He'll be wirelessly connected.

I hope this raises a smidgen of interest here. Please let me know what you think. Cheers, Pete

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I hope this raises a smidgen of interest here.

I don't know about others, but in my case a Droid on a speeder, composed of such various parts, arouses interest... hmmm... automatically 😉

• Thanks 1

A small update to round off the weekend.

gH8tRzH.jpg

The Droid went out last night and came home legless. Actually, I found that the legs have ball & socket hip joints. POP!

Of course, I could have looked at the other Droid & Stap kit in the stash. But where's the fun in that?

As is, it makes it easier to handle. I've also drilled out the shoulders and inserted sprue so I can position the arms easily.

Ldd9UPW.jpg

The two main halves have been joined together. The twelve inch ruler shows the size of this thing.

I slathered the joint with P-38 car body filler yesterday afternoon. God, that stuff stinks. And rubbed it smoothish this morning.

hCQmHTV.jpg

That left some divots, as seen here. So Humbrol filler was used and later rubbed down even smootherer, Fairly happy with it now.

The first coat of primer will tell the tale...

In other news, One of the Skyraider tailplanes broke off. So I've removed the other and have an alternate plan for handlebars.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking. Coffee and doughnuts are available at the bar. Take one, move along. Thank you. Enjoy.

• Like 10

On 31/01/2024 at 15:56, Pete in Lincs said:

VcjPsTs.jpg

And now what it's all about.

As long as both parties are enjoying themselves that's all that matters.

• Haha 6

And here's a midweek update to keep the ball rolling...

CCecWFQ.jpg

'Ello Ello, Wots all this then? What we have here is a pair of cradles for the Droid. Held on here with double sided tape to check thatthings work.

VTno2oV.jpg

From another angle. Black card is 0.50 mm. White is 0.25mm. The next picture will show what is going on.

5XI0z7G.jpg

Now does it make sense? The Droid is held fairly securely by the back cradle while the front one supports the chest.

P2SB5z0.jpg

Handlebars. These were on the Stap and with a bit of fettling they work out just right here. 

gFcp0k2.jpg

Ta dah! Cafe racer or what? I need to tidy things up but I think we're getting somewhere. 

This took a while to get on here as Imgur have changed their uploading  procedure for some reason. 

It's no longer so simple as drag and drop anywhere on the screen. A simple guide would have helped this old computer illiterate!

• Like 16

Anyone up for yet another update? I seem to be whizzing through this build. I can recommend this retirement lark!

ixRLrCS.jpg

Footplates from the Stap. I added card extensions front and back for a more positive grip of the feet. Also mounting/swivel brackets made from tank bits.

q15HxBx.jpg

And they go down the back end to create something like this.

iQtkIo0.jpg 

On the left we have Jet Provost intakes (one each side) now in use as thrusters.

In the middle, halfway up the fin, spoilers, which actually swivel!

Top right, the green thing. Probably steering thrusters but these are window shutters from an OO gauge model Railway house.

OYB87iu.jpg

Well I had these large scale motorbike bits. What was a Bloke supposed to do?

ZVfaOHV.jpg

And at the front end. I added the Skyraider tailwheel for a giggle. It probably does have a purpose. And another window shutter.

TCkMWVu.jpg

So all of that comes together to produce something like this. I've had this image in my head all along. Nice to see it worked out.

I've added an extra Comms pack to the back of the Droid. The stand is from the Stap.

YYYu5R3.jpg

And in glorious close up mode. It's a nice tight fit so I can remove the Droid, should the fancy take me.

QTbcBsH.jpg

At the back. The left foot fits perfectly. But the knee on the right leg is glued at a different angle so the foot doesn't fit properly.

But I think this adds a bit of drama/animation? 

XsITuRP.jpg

And another view of the errant foot. 

9lh43ZH.jpg

And here's what I did with the base. Elmers glue and decades old model railway scatter material.

And a red plant climbing the mounting rod. Oh, and a chrome pen on the letters.

I'm happy to say that most of the bike and Droid are now covered in white primer. 

Hopefully you're very impressed and are looking forward to buying souvenirs at the bar.

Many thanks for looking. Your comments are always appreciated.

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm happy to say that most of the bike and Droid are now covered in white primer. 

Hopefully you're very impressed and are looking forward to buying souvenirs at the bar.

It's taking shape nicely

Dunno about souvenirs, I'd rather they sold pork scratchings

/P

• Haha 1

Looks really cool. I wasn't sure at first what to expect but it's definitely got the cafe racer vibe to it. 

Is the droid going to have a liveried paint job to match the bike when the time comes?

Carl

• Like 1

Just caught up (again) Pete. Good choice, these particular droids are some of my favourite characters even if they are a bit stupid. I hope you have given him a RAM upgrade so he can at least stay on the Speeder Bike...🙂.

Great imagination and application as usual Pete...👍

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Just caught up (again) Pete. Good choice, these particular droids are some of my favourite characters even if they are a bit stupid. I hope you have given him a RAM upgrade so he can at least stay on the Speeder Bike...🙂.

Thanks, Gary. I tried the update, but he's a bit of a woolly thinker.

As of earlier this afternoon it's virtually finished. So there will be a RFI very soon. 

• Like 1