From one Bucc to the next … ‘Pulsator’ Pirate 1/48

The tail section didn’t quite line up with the lower part of the fuselage centre part, but again that’s probably down to me. The tolerances in this new tool kit are tiny. Nothing a couple of cable ties and superglue couldn’t fix though.

IMG-5350.jpg

Next I addressed the flare dispensers moulded into the arrestor hook housing. It wasn’t too difficult to remove with a sharp knife then some sanding to smooth it.

IMG-5351.jpgIMG-5353.jpg

I managed to slice off the grids so I could use them inside the dispenser buckets for under the jetpipes. Not perfect but at this scale and tucked under the fuselage they should suffice. Unless I decide to get an Eduard etch set of course …

IMG-5352.jpg

• Like 3

A bit more progress today, with the bomb bay internals completed and tail section added with various joins filled with liquid putty.

The bombs are unfinished and just dry fitted to see how they’ll sit inside.

IMG-5356.jpg

• Like 6

The kit is certainly a very good fit, only very thin lines of filler required in places and that’s probably down to me rather than Airfix. 

First coat sprayed before the rugby …

IMG-5367.jpg

IMG-5368.jpg

• Like 5

Blu-tack worms added before cutting the kit’s sprue bags to use as masks. A painstaking task, I’ve had better Sunday afternoons!

IMG-5374.jpg

IMG-5375.jpg

However, the Tamiya XF-30 ‘RAF green’ took really well onto the grey, so that’s a relief. No bubbling or anything.

IMG-5376.jpg

IMG-5377.jpg

• Like 7

The best part, revealing how it’s turned out - not too bad in this case, I’m quite happy with this one. Just a few little areas of touching up required and some details but the paint has taken well.

IMG-5379.jpg

IMG-5378.jpg

The hardest job left will be trying to paint the silver leading edges. 

• Like 10

Silver reasonably neat enough I think. I added some dirt wash along the wing fold area and engine access panels too, as well as down the rear fuselage aft of the jet pipes. 

I’m assuming these busy Buccs got a bit scuffed and stained at Akrotiri.

IMG-5385.jpg

• Like 7

Work continues on the Bucc, with the wheel bays done and chaff/flare dispensers tacked on under the jet pipe cans.

IMG-5387.jpg

• Like 3

Aircraft armed …

IMG-5389.jpg

I added the underwing serials at this stage too as the pylons will need to go on top of them. 

@Phone Phixer or other Bucc experts, do you know which would be the correct canopy for 1983; the one with the MDC lines or the clear older style one?

• Like 6

On 31/01/2024 at 09:10, Selwyn said:

There is obviously something seriously wrong with this Paveway II (UK). The  Paveway kit is a modification of the standard  British 1000lb bomb  so the central component of the LGB should be the same shape/ diameter as the 1000lb bombs above it. There also appaers to be a panel of some sort on the bombs side, which in nonsense.

I did a bit of research into the Paveway bomb that Airfix have molded for the Op Granby (First Gulf War) option in this new kit.  I only have a couple of pictures in a book that show this weapon fitted to the Buccaneer, the weapon is in the shadow of the wing to make identification more difficult, but it appears that Airfix have the shape correct.  The book refers to the weapon as a CPU-123 Paveway II bomb which meant nothing to me so I Googled it, not much help came from that but it did link to @Selwyn having a jibe at Eduard for describing a Paveway II as a CPU-123 as that was complete non-sense.  I'm none the wiser to why this LGB is described as a CPU-123 but the best photo looks very much like the kit offering, it is painted in shiny bronze green and there is no yellow band to show that it was an HE filled weapon, both book pictures show them with slogans painted in white on them.   Perhaps someone else can shed some light onto this slimmer version of the LGB, as the Bucc's did not anticipate dropping any ordinance when they went out to Bahrain so I wonder if they obtained the bombs and LGB conversion kit from another source?

Sorry to hi-jack your Pulsator thread  Lord Riot but you or others may be interested in building a Gulf War Pirate and this conundrum might be sorted now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I did a bit of research into the Paveway bomb that Airfix have molded for the Op Granby (First Gulf War) option in this new kit.  I only have a couple of pictures in a book that show this weapon fitted to the Buccaneer, the weapon is in the shadow of the wing to make identification more difficult, but it appears that Airfix have the shape correct.  The book refers to the weapon as a CPU-123 Paveway II bomb which meant nothing to me so I Googled it, not much help came from that but it did link to @Selwyn having a jibe at Eduard for describing a Paveway II as a CPU-123 as that was complete non-sense.  I'm none the wiser to why this LGB is described as a CPU-123 but the best photo looks very much like the kit offering, it is painted in shiny bronze green and there is no yellow band to show that it was an HE filled weapon, both book pictures show them with slogans painted in white on them.   Perhaps someone else can shed some light onto this slimmer version of the LGB, as the Bucc's did not anticipate dropping any ordinance when they went out to Bahrain so I wonder if they obtained the bombs and LGB conversion kit from another source?

Sorry to hi-jack your Pulsator thread  Lord Riot but you or others may be interested in building a Gulf War Pirate and this conundrum might be sorted now.

The Bomb is not a CPU-123,  it is complete nonsense.  Its called a Paveway  II UK). 

The CPU 123 is a component section of the Paveway MAU 169 Guidance  (thats the correct designator of the Paveway II Guidance) located between the fin hub section (usually brown in colour) and the cone shaped front fairing. Obviously someone somewhere has read this section designation stencil and assumed it was for the whole bomb. This error  is constantly (incorrectly) quoted.

The Shape of the kit Paveway II (UK) is wrong as the Warhead used on this bomb is in real life  the same Warhead as the kit free fall bombs, if it was correct it would be the same size and shape. so either the bomb or the LGB is wrong. As I am very familiar in real life with this UK 1000lb bomb and the Paveway II(UK) to me the LGB looks wrong. Its as you say, too slim to be a  Paveway II (UK). The UK only used one size of LGB and that was based on  the 1000lb bomb.

There is no conundrum.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Underwing stores fitted.

I need to touch up the underneath of that ECM pod where the spray didn’t reach.

IMG-5396.jpg

• Like 4

I had to use a posca pen to draw the airbrake numbers, there are no decals with 901 in yellow.

IMG-5398.jpg

Not sure what to do about the tail fin numbers yet.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2024 at 21:53, Selwyn said:

The Bomb is not a CPU-123,  it is complete nonsense.  Its called a Paveway  II UK). 

The CPU 123 is a component section of the Paveway MAU 169 Guidance  (thats the correct designator of the Paveway II Guidance) located between the fin hub section (usually brown in colour) and the cone shaped front fairing. Obviously someone somewhere has read this section designation stencil and assumed it was for the whole bomb. This error  is constantly (incorrectly) quoted.

The Shape of the kit Paveway II (UK) is wrong as the Warhead used on this bomb is in real life  the same Warhead as the kit free fall bombs, if it was correct it would be the same size and shape. so either the bomb or the LGB is wrong. As I am very familiar in real life with this UK 1000lb bomb and the Paveway II(UK) to me the LGB looks wrong. Its as you say, too slim to be a  Paveway II (UK). The UK only used one size of LGB and that was based on  the 1000lb bomb.

There is no conundrum.

You are an inexhaustible mine of invaluable information!!!! While I have a Phantom FGR.2 under construction, I already have a Bucc S.2B from the Gulf War ready and thanks to you I am reading up on all these aspects which are not only interesting but indispensable for a correct reproduction. THANK YOU!!

Bruno

18 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I had to use a posca pen to draw the airbrake numbers, there are no decals with 901 in yellow.

IMG-5398.jpg

Not sure what to do about the tail fin numbers yet.

Make sure they are the right way up! 106 would be confusing!😁

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Make sure they are the right way up! 106 would be confusing!😁

It’s an ambigramic registration, looks like 106XX under the wings. That’ll fool the enemy, Captain Mainwaring!

Just about done, will be ready for the RFI soon.

Still need some yellow ‘901’ decals for the tail fin and nosewheel door if anyone is willing to sell some?

IMG-5402.jpg

208 penetrate ..

IMG-5401.jpg

• Like 5