F189F Hawker Tempest Mk V

mick b

Hi 

I would like to enter the fray with this one…

IMG_6032

My introduction to modelling was through my Dad and he had many FROG kits in his stash as well as completed and as he had served in the FAA the subjects that FROG boldly produced were part of his history and I remember fondly looking in awe at his Barracuda and Sea Fury ( the latter I still have ) in his display cabinet.

He built me a Tempest in Closterman’s markings and it had a clear plastic disc for the propeller and this version of the kit includes the same so I thought I would build this purely as a nostalgia trip. I have ordered some relatively cheap PE for the cockpit and a vac form canopy, plus aftermarket exhausts just to raise the level slightly.

I also bought a Vengeance as Dad had that unbuilt and it, along with many others, truly shows how great FROG were in producing unusual subjects. Despite some of their kits not being 100% accurate I think we should remember that available references were not as they are today.

Mike

• Like 12

Nice to see a  nostalgic build being dedicated to those who influenced us into this great hobby. It would be great to see your Dad’s Sea Fury, perhaps it’s something you could add to the Inspiration Gallery. 

The Frog Tempest with its ‘spinning’ prop is a most welcomed inclusion to this GB. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

I can think of no better reason for a build than rekindling memories of time spent with your dad learning to build models.

Best of luck mate :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Cheers gents…

So I received the upgrades from the Big H this afternoon as below:

IMG_6035

Cockpit PE is for Academy kit but at just under three quid worth trying to modify to fit.

I placed fuselage and wing over plans in 4+ publication as well as Bentley plans in an old Scale Models and it comes out very well.

IMG_6033

IMG_6034

Hopefully make a start soon.

Mike

• Like 11

2 hours ago, mick b said:

I placed fuselage and wing over plans in 4+ publication as well as Bentley plans in an old Scale Models and it comes out very well.

That's always good to see.

I think all we really need as modellers is general accuracy in outline.

The rest of the detailing stuff can be added subject to one's skills and overall levels of patience. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

It is a great feeling to know that the kit you want to build is at least accurate shape-wise. One thing less to worry about.

Most FROG kits are that way.

Of course, this implies that the set of scale drawings is accurate to start with, but we must have a little faith.

I am looking forward to see your Tempest taking shape, especially with all these A.M. goodies.

Enjoy.

JR

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got to make a start:

IMG_6037

The Eduard PE set designed for the Academy kit has been trimmed to fit the cockpit sides here, plus I added a length of plastic rod to represent a little of the framework found in Tempest cockpits. The radiator front has also been fitted and I have sawn out and filed down the rear of the radiator chin which was solid plastic.

I will add detail in the space in due course.

IMG_6039

Having cut out the area occupied by the moulded exhaust pipes to make way for the Quickboost replacements it became apparent that the resulting slot was too deep so I added a plastic card to fill the gap, once set it was sanded and any minor blemishes filled with PPP.

IMG_6038

The raised panel lines have all been sanded off after using them as a guide to scribe a line instead. I’m not overly fussed about having them being exact. I remember my Dad removed them too as a smooth looking fuselage was the desired scale affect back then.

The wing halves have been glued together and the slot for the tanks filled. 

IMG_6041

IMG_6040

As it’s going to be in flight I need a pilot. The Frog one is a bit lacking in definition so I have taken this fella from an Airfix Wildcat kit.

Apologies for the iPhone photos. I must say I’m enjoying this build.

Cheers 

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 13

Looking good, Mick. I have been inspired by this build to dig out my early attempt made back in my teens, and have disassembled it as best I can and dunked it in Dettol. If I finish my Spitfire before the end of the GB then I may have a go at a restoration...

I may even start before I've finished the Spit... I'm a great crastinator (in fact I'm a pro...).

Nige

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great start Mike

As you said that there was an option to build Pierre Clostermann's Tempest, which now has me thinking if I've got one ! :idea:

With unfinished builds all over the place I'm not sure starting another one is a good idea :rolleyes:

Your dad had excellent taste in subject matter

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

A great start to your build. I well remember the Frog kit, I built one in about 1968, it was a nice kit from what little I recall of it (a long time ago now !) When Frog did stuff well, it was nice, but sometimes they tended towards the heavy-handed side of things.

• Like 1

Nice work. It's a classic FROG kit, accurate, well-fitting and chunky. Your improvements will really make a difference.

Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great start Mike

As you said that there was an option to build Pierre Clostermann's Tempest, which now has me thinking if I've got one ! :idea:

With unfinished builds all over the place I'm not sure starting another one is a good idea :rolleyes:

Your dad had excellent taste in subject matter

Cheers Pat 

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. 

The decals are in a fair condition considering their age but the codes are white so need replacing, I think I will finish it as the other option this time but I remember as a kid loving all those crosses under Closterman’s cockpit 😁

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3