1:72 De Havilland Mosquito B.XVI *FINISHED*

@Dunny this is looking lovely!  I have this in my stash, very much looking forward to building it.  Re: the nav lights - can I just double check, you have drilled just outside the clear part of the light (i.e. somewhere that will eventually be painted) - is that correct?

Al.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alhenderson said:

@Dunny this is looking lovely!  I have this in my stash, very much looking forward to building it.  Re: the nav lights - can I just double check, you have drilled just outside the clear part of the light (i.e. somewhere that will eventually be painted) - is that correct?

Al.

Thanks very much Al! Just for clarity:

20240130-074546.jpg

A 1mm hole was drilled in this location. Once filled with red paint it can be filled over and sanded. Will it be successful? Let's wait and see but it looks ok so far! HTH,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant thanks Roger, will use this on mine too.

Chris

My pleasure Chris - let's assume that it works 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm just glad to see it isn't unbuildable disaster after all... ;)

Looking good so far!

Regards,

Adrian

There is yet opportunity Adrian! Diminishing, admittedly, but still there!!

• Haha 2

Hi All,

A good day of progress on the Mossie today! In the end I decided that masking the exhausts was the lesser of two weevils (movie quote? Answers on a postcard), so the second nacelle was assembled, and then both added to the wings along with the external fuel tanks (all were beautifully engineered):

20240203-135404.jpg

After a bit of cleaning up seams and fettling odd bits, it was time to see how the glazing stood up to some Interior Grey Green (I had masked up the glazing last night):

20240203-135924.jpg

Nothing too much wrong there, although the seam ahead of the cockpit needed more attention. Once that had dried I laid down primer, which revealed a few more niggles to clean up:

20240203-143408.jpg

I then pre-shaded using Nato Black:

20240203-144402.jpg

Here's the MSG mist coats being applied:

20240203_145926.jpg

And after the pre-shading had faded to my satisfaction:

20240203_152641.jpg

I'm not displeased with that! I'm writing this adding a little extra time for the MSG to dry before applying masking for the camouflage - perhaps another update later,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 20

Hi All,

As predicted I did make some more progress this afternoon! Here's the undersides masked up for the camouflage:

20240203_162432.jpg

Here's the Ocean Grey laid down:

20240203_163450.jpg

You can see that there's some nice surface detail which should pop nicely with a Flory wash. Next the camouflage masking:

20240203_170205.jpg

And the Dark Green sprayed (and lightened with Mid-Stone):

20240203_171352.jpg

I then removed all of the masking to give us this:

20240203_172229.jpg

The final act for the day was to lay down a gloss coat, which I'll allow to set overnight before working on the stencils tomorrow:

20240203_173248.jpg

Talking of stencils, I've also designed these. I ended up doing the squadron and aircraft codes in CAD, and importing them to the Silhouette software. The boundary around the letters is very thin, so I wanted to ensure that it was precise:

20240202-081759.jpg

You can also see that I've added some dummy roundels for spacing. I've also elected to spray the 'KEEP OFF' boxes, as they looked rather susceptible to silvering. We'll see how that all pans out tomorrow!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 20

Fantastic progress Roger, so rapid, you sure you don’t have a team working for you? 😁.

Looks excellent. 

And the film clue? Too easy, thinking about watching it tomorrow (quiz night this evening). Reading ‘A Ship of the Line’, similar subject. But who am I referring to?

Cheers,

Charlie

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Fantastic progress Roger, so rapid, you sure you don’t have a team working for you? 😁.

Looks excellent. 

And the film clue? Too easy, thinking about watching it tomorrow (quiz night this evening). Reading ‘A Ship of the Line’, similar subject. But who am I referring to?

Cheers,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie - no team, I travel faster alone (uttered in gravelly tones). Good old HH I presume?

18 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Roger, great and very quick progress. Crikey.

Chris

Thanks Chris - a very easy kit so no impediments to progress!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

lesser of two weevils (movie quote? Answers on a postcard)

Hi Roger,

yes, movie quote; Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

But as the film is based on the Aubrey-Maturin books by Patrick O’Brian, originally a literary quote!

Mossie is looking gorgeous by the way!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Hi Roger,

yes, movie quote; Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

But as the film is based on the Aubrey-Maturin books by Patrick O’Brian, originally a literary quote!

Mossie is looking gorgeous by the 

Thanks very much Dave! I have to say I was not aware of the books...

57 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Awesome and rapid progress.

Looking forward to the markings going on.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - stencils should go on today!

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some more progress on the Mossie today! First job of the day was stencils, so here's the 'fat' letters applied:

20240204_101639.jpg

These were then sprayed with Oxford Blue:

20240204_104318.jpg

You can see that I've already applied the 'thin' M, in preparation for spraying the border - you can see that the margin for error is not large! Next I sprayed white:

20240204_105819.jpg

And finally yellow:

20240204_110824.jpg

The finished result:

20240204_111124.jpg

Given the tight tolerances involved I'll give that 7/10 for effort - it just about passes the 2' test. I then applied the black serials (but forgot to photograph), so here we are after applying the 'KEEP OFF' boxes:

20240204_120850.jpg

Aaand the finished result:

20240204_122335.jpg

Not too bad? With that the decals were applied:

20240204_125539.jpg

I'm about to apply a second gloss coat over those, before applying a Flory wash - better let the decals settle a bit first though,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 17

Hi All,

More good progress on the Mossie today! After the decals had settled down I applied a second gloss coat:

20240204_125539.jpg

Ooooh - shiny! Next I applied a black Flory wash:

20240204_143751.jpg

And here we are after removing the wash with damp kitchen paper and cotton bud:

20240204_145456.jpg

Here we are after flat coats:

20240204_151717.jpg

I'm quite pleased with that overall effect. Here after unmasking, with the undercarriage now attached:

20240204_155147.jpg

@alhenderson I'm also pleased to report that the trick with the wingtip lights has worked well:

20240204_152058.jpg

Not the best photo, but you get the idea. That'll be it until next weekend,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 24

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Roger, the Mossie in looking rather splendid.  The codes and wingtip lights worked very well indeed.

Fantastic looking Mossie.

Chris

Thanks Chris - the codes are a bit wonky but they are only 8mm tall so I don't feel too bad about it!

• Like 2

Very interesting stuff on stencils versus decals. The overall result is definitely one good looking Mossie!

• Thanks 1

She looks lovely, maybe the motivation I need to get back to the bench this afternoon and make *some* progress on *something*. Been very slow of late.

That wingtip light looks the biz, thanks for the picture! 👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's looking very good, Roger :)

James

Thanks very much James!

9 hours ago, MOK61 said:

Very interesting stuff on stencils versus decals. The overall result is definitely one good looking Mossie!

Thanks Murray - I generally use a combination...

7 hours ago, alhenderson said:

She looks lovely, maybe the motivation I need to get back to the bench this afternoon and make *some* progress on *something*. Been very slow of late.

That wingtip light looks the biz, thanks for the picture! 👍

Thanks Al - the experiment paid off!

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

She's gorgeous Roger,

Fantastic stuff.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for the kind words Alistair!

• Like 1