Jump to content

alhenderson

Gold Member
  • Content Count

    469
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

640 Excellent

About alhenderson

  • Rank
    Established Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Northampton, UK
  • Interests
    Photography, modelling, plane spotting, beer

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. That's a lovely finish, good to know about other applications of the trusty chocolate foil!
  2. Ah, are you using them as a means of getting a shiny metal finish rather than as a mask? Interesting!! Al
  3. @Mr T thanks! I too had an issue with the rear bulkhead and bomb bay area, probably not helped by me painting a lot of that stuff before assembly, as I'm used to doing. This kit really is a lesson in the merits of continually dry fitting every single piece! Al
  4. Quick update. The engines are all on, got the inner ones on last week following the advice on here. Put a spreader inside the wing for the second engine which, along with sanding around the front of the join, really helped the fit. Still a fair bit of filling and sanding needed, but we're getting there. Decided it was time to put some primer on the fuselage to see how those seams have turned out. The bottom seam is OK, I now need to spray the top. Which, of course, means I need to cover the cockpit, bomb aimers position etc. Rather than get a whole load of blu tack or tape I figured the
  5. Lovely looking little copter! Engine detail looks impressive, so I'd say the wrestling of the PE was worth it (easy for me to say ). Al.
  6. I might try that idea of the spreader to get an even better fit on the other inboard engine. You are correct, the fit of the nacelle into the hole in the wing is very tight, which I guess must have an impact on the way that the underneath skin of the wing lies. Its like playing 3D chess, this!! Al.
  7. @ColinChipmunkfan - wot he said ^^^^^ This is a nice kit of a very nice aeroplane but the fit is tight. I knew that when I started, hence I was quite obsessive with dry fitting when I put the fuselage together. However, as soon as I moved on to other parts I forgot about that and didn't do nearly as much. I didn't even think to dry fit the engines and the wings - I glued the wings together a couple of weeks back cos I was fed up of sanding and wanted to do something that would show progress - oops!! I'm still confident that I'll get a respectable looking plane out of this thi
  8. Thanks for that hint - there was nothing obvious around the front join between the wing and the nacelle, but some sanding in and around that area has actually improved the fit The trailing edge is not as snug as it might be but that's easier to address with putty/filler. Now to try the same with the second engine.. Al.
  9. Long Easter weekend here in the UK. I took an extra 2 days leave giving me 6 days off. I think in that time I've managed about an hour on the Shack! Part of that is due to the problem I'm having getting the engines into the wings. The inboards are proving especially problematic: Can't for the life of me get rid of that step at the front of the wing. Have been sanding the top side of the u/c bay like a mad man thinking that was stopping the engine from sitting deep enough in the wing. The assembly of the u/c bay was not the best so that seemed to make sense, but the f
  10. Not a lot to report progress-wise on this. I have assembled the engines. Getting the angles of the u/c bay components right was a challenge, Airfix have you put it all together and then fit into the engine cowlings. But if you get something slightly wrong when assembling the bays they won't fit into the cowlings. I ended up assembling the bays into one side of the engine - lots of test fits and sanding and that worked out pretty well. The joins on the engines need some work, though. So yet more filling and sanding - yay! Think I'll be putting some primer down soon
  11. That's a lovely little Alouette project you've got going on there - liking the history of the machine. The Airfix kit does seem pretty good, but as I think I mentioned earlier up the thread - there are no rivet details, which there are on the Revell kit. Although I only noticed when someone pointed it out elsewhere so shows how much of a problem it actually is Al.
  12. I actually quite enjoyed it, although I think I under estimated the scale of the work when there are 8 props! Was a pleasant change from sanding and filling. Did have to double and triple check the order of red and white, mind Al.
  13. No need to apologise - all advice gratefully received! Its so hard to judge who knows what on a forum. Something you think is blindingly obvious might not have occurred to someone else. I think paint may be some way off yet - progress is slow. Although I did skip about 20 steps in the instructions last night by virtue of not wanting to put all the windows in before painting Al.
  14. Thanks for the hint. I will indeed be brush painting. Have some brand new flat brushes ready and waiting
×
×
  • Create New...