F-308 MiG-3 Soviet Union March 7th 1942

Hello everyone … I post these as a rare update. Sadly it will probably be a bit of time before my next update. SWMBO’s Father passed last Sunday @ 8:00 pm and I of course will be attending to her now more than plastic. So for my last update for a bit I present to you decal’s added. 

u2VTg9B.jpeg

gHAW5Fv.jpeg

d5enLYB.jpeg

FXlZu6E.jpeg

AW7HW3T.jpeg

BFsRdWh.jpeg

Not exactly sure what the script says but it’s a slogan for morale common on aircraft of the war. Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Dennis, our thoughts and prayers go out to your Father-in-Law and extended family. These days are never easy to get through so just do what’s needed to tend to your wife during the follow on period. Take care and I’m sure you’ll return here when the time is right. 
Cheers and condolences.. Dave 

Edit - the Mig-3 looks lovely with decals on too! 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Dennis, our thoughts and prayers go out to your Father-in-Law and extended family. These days are never easy to get through so just do what’s needed to tend to your wife during the follow on period. Take care and I’m sure you’ll return here when the time is right. 
Cheers and condolences.. Dave 

Edit - the Mig-3 looks lovely with decals on too! 

Thank you Dave

I'm sorry to hear about your loss! However, the Mig-3 looks very nice! If I can remember my Kyrillic, that says something like 'For Vanyu Babaka' (Vanyu being from the diminutive for 'Ivan'). So, the slogan probably commemorates a fallen comrade.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Sorry about the Father in law.  I'm sad to hear about it.

The MiG looks great for what its worth!

51 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss! However, the Mig-3 looks very nice! If I can remember my Kyrillic, that says something like 'For Vanyu Babaka' (Vanyu being from the diminutive for 'Ivan'). So, the slogan probably commemorates a fallen comrade.

Regards,

Jason

36 minutes ago, silverfox63 said:

Hi Dennis. Thinking of you both in this difficult time. Take care.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thank you Jason, Chris, & Opus I appreciate both the comments and specifically the well wishes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone … slowly plugging away at some builds in between rounds of caring for SWMBO. My MiG-3, Blenheim, and my two PBJ’s are almost finished. Pretty much all thats left are a few touch-ups and weathering. 

oF6zH5q.jpeg

7dIqpLt.jpeg

Fd2xJzW.jpeg

iriqrAl.jpeg

TY5wgpe.jpeg

Please feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

Dennis

• Like 14

On 29/02/2024 at 05:15, Learstang said:

If I can remember my Kyrillic, that says something like 'For Vanyu Babaka' (Vanyu being from the diminutive for 'Ivan'). So, the slogan probably commemorates a fallen comrade.

Yes, correct. Exact translation would be 'For Vanya Babak' and the name Vanya (Ivan) Babak is here in accusative case. 

Here is the wiki page about Ivan Babak. 

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бабак,_Иван_Ильич

The article says commemorative inscription about him was made by his squadron mate Grigory Dolnikov after Ivan Babak who was a squadron commander got captured by Germans in March 1945. The only problem that while the 16th fighter squadron met the war on MiG-3 but it was flying Aircobras since 1943.

Google translate of relevant paragraph:

Less than two months before the end of the war, on March 16, 1945, while performing a combat mission, I. I. Babak was shot down by enemy anti-aircraft artillery fire and was captured, from where he was released after the Victory.  In memory of his friend, the pilot of the regiment G.U. Dolnikov made inscriptions on the plane: on the right in the place of the Goddess of Victory - “For Petya Guchok”, on the left - “For Vanya Babak”.

UPD: here is the photo of the Dolnikov's Cobra:

dolnik0.jpg

Actually Dolnikov's career turns out to be quite impressive. After the war he continued his aviation career becoming a general in command of Soviet aviation covertly fighting in Egypt in 1970 and in Ethiopia in 1977. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Yes, correct. Exact translation would be 'For Vanya Babak' and the name Vanya (Ivan) Babak is here in accusative case. 

Here is the wiki page about Ivan Babak. 

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бабак,_Иван_Ильич

The article says commemorative inscription about him was made by his squadron mate Grigory Dolnikov after Ivan Babak who was a squadron commander got captured by Germans in March 1945. The only problem that while the 16th fighter squadron met the war on MiG-3 but it was flying Aircobras since 1943.

Google translate of relevant paragraph:

Less than two months before the end of the war, on March 16, 1945, while performing a combat mission, I. I. Babak was shot down by enemy anti-aircraft artillery fire and was captured, from where he was released after the Victory.  In memory of his friend, the pilot of the regiment G.U. Dolnikov made inscriptions on the plane: on the right in the place of the Goddess of Victory - “For Petya Guchok”, on the left - “For Vanya Babak”.

UPD: here is the photo of the Dolnikov's Cobra:

dolnik0.jpg

Actually Dolnikov's career turns out to be quite impressive. After the war he continued his aviation career becoming a general in command of Soviet aviation covertly fighting in Egypt in 1970 and in Ethiopia in 1977. 

I know its for a P-39, but I thought I would use it to give the plane character. Thank you for the history as I didn't know this. Let’s call it artistic license on the Mig-3 ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know its for a P-39, but I thought I would use it to give the plane character. Thank you for the history as I didn't know this. Let’s call it artistic license on the Mig-3 ? 

I did not know the story before I came across the discussion either :) And I think that's all right to go forward as is. After all there were many Soviet fighter aircraft with similar promises to go on fighting 'for someone'. I'm sure we have photoes of a very small fraction of those.

• Like 2