Planned tour of NZ, 2024.

Paul J

It looks like my cancelled trip to NZ is on again for November this year.  So.... I would like to ask our NZ members here on their advice, tips etc on the best way to get to Ardmore airport form Auckland city centre.  Any suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks guys.

Ardmore’s a tricky one, I don’t think it’s well served by public transport so a rental car would be the best way- it’s about half an hour south of the city so Ubers would be reasonably expensive. There’s often an Airshow on around October/November.

The MOTAT aviation hall in Westmere is well worth a visit, you can access the location via an Outer Link bus, which stops outside on Meola Rd. Very easy to get to, maybe 15 minutes from the CBD.

Otherwise Omaka is apparently excellent, as is the RNZAF museum- both more in @stevehnz’s territory than mine.

I'm not sure about Omaka Paul, it's a little out from Blenheim & possibly not served by public transport, I'll check it out . There is a Wings & Wheels day there on the 4th of next month I'm hoping to make so I should be able to do so then. For the RNZAF Museum in Christchurch, I'm pretty sure it will be at least close to a bus route, I'll try & suss that for you too. Done. :) 

Steve. 

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

... the best way to get to Ardmore airport form Auckland city centre.

Hi Paul,

Do you have a specific destination on the airfield?

Just asking since it is an operational airfield with smaller a/c types operating (see flightradar24 for activity?) and most hangars are working areas.

I'm suspecting that a rental car will provide the best flexibility, since Auckland's "public transport" system is not as efficient as we would like............ !

Edit: MOTAT's aviation area is not bad & well worth popping in to visit! 

Eddity edit #2: Also there is the Auckland War Memorial museum on the Domain. Spitfire & Zero inside as well as a load of other stuff!

Edited by hairystick

11 hours ago, Karearea said:

A main attraction at Ardmore would be the NZ Warbirds hangar, which is open Saturday and Sunday. I should have been more specific sorry, in my head ‘Ardmore’ is synonymous with ‘Warbirds’!

Thanks. It is the main attraction for me. I need to figure out where we will be once our itinerary is set. I'll check by writing to NZ Warbirds to let them know when I intend to visit in case it won't be a weekend..

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

Hi Paul,

Do you have a specific destination on the airfield?

Just asking since it is an operational airfield with smaller a/c types operating (see flightradar24 for activity?) and most hangars are working areas.

I'm suspecting that a rental car will provide the best flexibility, since Auckland's "public transport" system is not as efficient as we would like............ !

Edit: MOTAT's aviation area is not bad & well worth popping in to visit! 

Eddity edit #2: Also there is the Auckland War Memorial museum on the Domain. Spitfire & Zero inside as well as a load of other stuff!

Many thanks for you reply. Well be staying in Auckland to start our tour, for the first 4 days before moving on.  MOTAT I visited  the last time I was there in 2019 but the war memorial will be on the the agenda. It now looks like we will have enough time in. Auckland but will have to see if it includes the weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Thanks. It is the main attraction for me. I need to figure out where we will be once our urinary is set. I'll check by writing to ND seabirds to let them know when I intend to visit in case it won't be a weekend..

Spell checker problems?

Edited by RAF4EVER
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

It's about 5 years since  I visited Ardmore, folks were very friendly, if a hangar was open a polite enquiry lead to a chat and an invitation for a closer look at items of interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Spell checker problems?

Writing from smart phone not the best.

2 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Spell checker problems?

Silly keypad on mobile and sensitive touch . I don't know why I bother to use the thing.

RE the above., I think and hope all will be sorted. Originally we were going head to Rotorua (after doing the Northern peninsular) but decided not to as we'd been there before and drop the car off there.The plan now is to head North  to Paihia for a few days after spending time in Auckland, then coming back south and finding a hotel near Ardmore for another  night, visiting the NZ Warbirds and hopefully Avspecs next day. Then taking the car to drop off at Auckland airport for the flight south to Wellington for a night or two before crossing over to the South Island and continuing the road trip touring there.  Am hoping to re visit Omaka, Wigram and  a first time visit to the Croydon Aircraft Company down at Mandeville. This lot will satisfy me. In between all this there will visits to many other places as the wife and friend will have their choices satisfied.

• Like 2

• Paul J changed the title to Planned tour of NZ, 2024.
47 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

If you do nothing else, you've GOT to go to Mandeville! (Haven't been there since 2002 - I'm due another visit ...)

I was looking forward to visiting there in 2020/21 but that Covid thingy scuppered that.   Hoping this time round it will work out. I even made arrangements with the good people down there for my visit and the possibility of flying in one of their aeroplanes the DH Fox Moth or a TIger!!

42 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I was looking forward to visiting there in 2020/21 but that Covid thingy scuppered that.   Hoping this time round it will work out. I even made arrangements with the good people down there for my visit and the possibility of flying in one of their aeroplanes the DH Fox Moth or a TIger!!

I'm sure that if you ask nicely they'll find something to strap you into!

• Like 1

If you go to ChCh and Wigram you really should/ must press-on another 50 miles south and go to the Ashburton Aviation museum. Make an appointment for a visit- it will not disappoint. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

If you go to ChCh and Wigram you really should/ must press-on another 50 miles south and go to the Ashburton Aviation museum. Make an appointment for a visit- it will not disappoint. 

I very much second this motion & if you're going to Mandeville, Ashburton is on the way, give them a ring the day before 'cause they're not open during the week but are very good at finding someone to show you around & it is a quality collection.

Steve.

• Like 1

Also, if you are going to Mandeville and have any interest at all in road transport, then press on to Invercargill and have a look at the road transport museum there. It’s one of the best collections of its type anywhere.

• Like 1

Wanakas toy and transport museum is also good, although very… eclectic… and a little eccentric. My daughters loved it for the barbie collection- I loved it for the ex Cranwell Jet Provost and the Mig 21.

My wife was less enthralled. 😬

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

My wife was less enthralled.

What, with a Barbie collection, Jet Provost and a Mig 21? You just can't please some people!       Errr, I don't suppose there's a couple of museum warships tied up there too? 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

What, with a Barbie collection, Jet Provost and a Mig 21? You just can't please some people!       Errr, I don't suppose there's a couple of museum warships tied up there too? 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

No - but a week ago I was onboard HMAS Castlemaine in Melbourne and that’s well worth a look! 👍

• Thanks 1