bonding two clear parts advice - one over the top of the other

woody37

Hi all,

I'm potentially looking to add an armoured side window over the top of the existing window on a B-24 kit. I'm trying Johnstons Klear as a bonding agent but it isn't very strong. Has anyone got any advice on something stronger that will leave the bond completely clear?

Thanks

1 hour ago, colin said:

How strong does it need to be, Klear should hold it ok if nothing else needs attaching to it

UV resin or PVA modelling glue 

It doesn't need to be that strong other than resisting removing a mask from the panel afterwards. I'm still undecided at the moment as doing a poor job will spoil the canopy. I'm currently trying some Micro Kristal Klear too.

41 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Thanks, that is easier to get and much cheaper so will get a tube. Even if I don't do it on this build, it will come in useful, cheers.

I'm just trying a new to me item  - deluxe materials, glue n glaze & rocket odourless. Might be just the ticket.

• Like 1

Klear worked for me when I put the armoured glass on to a Trumpy 1/24 Spitfire windscreen.I gave it a week to sort itself out properly,it was quite happy when masking was removed and still is now.

embed?resid=DD3DB508017E2169!5404&authke

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

I tested two clear glues that I have on the surface of a spare canopy. Glue 'n' Glaze from Deluxe Materials and Crystal Magic Glue from AK Interactive. Glue 'n' Glaze is something similar to PVA, Crystal Magic is resin based acrylic adhesive. Both are transparent when dry, but I would say Crystal Magic is more invisible. I have used it to attach the armoured glass for a Bf 109, In Eduards new 1/72 kits it's a sperate piece.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, colin said:

Might be better to leave the part off until you finish the painting/masking if that's possible 

That's what I'm thinking, plus the fact that I've not plucked the courage up to bond it yet!

On 1/3/2024 at 5:54 PM, speedy said:

I'm just trying a new to me item  - deluxe materials, glue n glaze & rocket odourless. Might be just the ticket.

Thanks.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:43 AM, TheKinksFan said:

I tested two clear glues that I have on the surface of a spare canopy. Glue 'n' Glaze from Deluxe Materials and Crystal Magic Glue from AK Interactive. Glue 'n' Glaze is something similar to PVA, Crystal Magic is resin based acrylic adhesive. Both are transparent when dry, but I would say Crystal Magic is more invisible. I have used it to attach the armoured glass for a Bf 109, In Eduards new 1/72 kits it's a sperate piece.

Thanks, the Micro Krystal Klear didn't turn out too well, but the results from Johnstons Klear were pretty good. 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, Alex Gordon said:

Klear worked for me when I put the armoured glass on to a Trumpy 1/24 Spitfire windscreen.I gave it a week to sort itself out properly,it was quite happy when masking was removed and still is now.

embed?resid=DD3DB508017E2169!5404&authke

That's good to know thanks, that's the type of thing I'm looking to do, fortunately on a small scale :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, woody37 said:

That's good to know thanks, that's the type of thing I'm looking to do, fortunately on a small scale :)

Use plenty of Klear and make sure there are no air bubbles in it,the excess can be wicked away with the edge of a bit of bog roll.

• Like 1

I have UV glues for making fishing flies that work quite nice. It's available in multiple viscosities. As the name implies, a UV light cures it, which means the light must see the glue to cure it. I've also used the thick stuff to make lenses in pre-war telescope gun sights, e.g., for an F2F.

• Like 1