Asuka 1/35 Sherman III w/ Resicast Deep Wading Gear

Hey All,

This is Asuka's Sherman III, built as a vehicle from A Sqn, East Riding Yeomanry as part of the 27th Armoured Brigade as seen during the Normandy Campaign. I used a Star Decals set to get the correct markings, and used Resicast's lower-half of the deep wading gear, to depict a vehicle that had dropped the gear but the lower halves still remained on the engine deck and over the exhausts. I also added a one piece set of smoke grenade dischargers which were 3D printed and found on eBay. 

I painted the model using Humbrol 155 Olive Drab, a somewhat controversial colourshade as it apparently doesn't replicate the original Olive Drab from the factory nor SCC 15, the British Shade. Despite this however I like the shade on my model and in my minds eye gives off the right feel for me. Ultimately it might not be to everyone's taste but I'm sure theres more going on in the world to worry about than Olive Drab shades. 

I painted what remained of the deep wading gear a deeper shade of green to accentuate that the gear was painted a deeper shade of green than the base colour of the vehicle.  As well as this, I used unthinned black enamel paint brush-painted on to depict remnants of the sealant that was applied around certain fittings covered with canvas. 

The Stowage is all from various generic sets painted seperately, then built up on the model in layers to replicate the way in which the crew wouldve piled stuff on, I later strapped it all down with masking tape cut into thin strips and painted, though in hindsight I should've probably gone with a deeper shade of the colour I was using as it almost looks unpainted when on the model. 

The vehicle was weathered with oils and vallejo mud effects. I later ran over the metallic parts with a pencil to create more than just a matte black effect. 

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0568.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0567.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0558.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sam :)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

That is very nice!

Great look and the weathering makes it look a well used machine. 
The stowage is well done, these tanks were the crews home from home and they would take anything with them to make life more comfortable. 
Great work 😃👍

• Like 1

Actually Humbrol 155 is a colour I would suggest for OD No9. One of a number. To my eye it isn't a mile off and it has the brownish tint of No9.  OD No9 was not a green, it was a greenish brown.  So I think you're OK with that

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

Nice representation of a Sherman, a little different.
Very good amount of equipment.
Only, as John, and yourself, comments, the adjustment straps of the same, a somewhat darker/earthy tone, would give it that finishing touch.
If you decide to do it, it's simple.👍

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Like 1

It's a Sherman, so 👍 from me!!

Apparently, armour boys learned very quickly, that hanging stuff on sides of the tank does not agree with french bockage. 🤪

Anyway, the rest is very well secured. Check your ref, re antennas lengths though.

Zig

• Like 1