Airfix 1/24 Spitfire IX

Billos

.... and we're off. My wife ( blessed be her name) bought me this for my (hrrmph) birthday. It's taken me nearly two months to get started. (I blame the distractions involved in moving from Brazil to Canada). But now here we go. I've completed page 1 of the 44 page instruction booklet in a day and a half - that means I should be finished sometime around christmas....😮  It'll be the RCAF Ian Keltie City of Winnipeg version. I've previously built the 1/24 Typhoon, which judging from other posts, seems to be a pre-requisite for doing this.!🤣

spacer.png

• Like 7

Pilot Seat, end of Page 1.

spacer.png

Incidentally  with respect to the Revell Contacta glue thing, I must admit I was a bit sceptical at first. I couldn't really conceive how it would help, but I'm now a firm believer! It really helps in precision glue application. Probably no surprise to you experienced folk, but for anyone wondering, it's a Good Thing!  I have heard some complaints about the nozzle blocking up, but that's easily cleared using a .9 top E guitar string, from my Strat. There, isn't that a reason for you to go ahead and buy that Stratocaster you've always wanted?Keranng! 🎸🤣  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:03 AM, Billos said:

I've completed page 1 of the 44 page instruction booklet in a day and a half - that means I should be finished sometime around christmas....😮 

Which Year?

Gondor

• Haha 3

End of Day two .....  Applying the individual instrument decals is a true test of patience....  Thye kept coming off. In the end, with a distant memory from some other post (sorry can't find it, apologies to whoever did it) I used hair laquer.. putting a drop of hair laquer in each 'instrument hole" then carefully manouvering the decals with a wooden cocktail stick. Probably not perfect if you look close, but I'm happy to get that out of the way. I can't imagine painting these! Kudos to those who do.. must have eyes like hawks and the world's smallest brushes...

SpitIX_07.jpg

SpitIX_08.jpg

• Like 6

This looks interesting so far, I bet it's not finished by Christmas!!😁

By the way, I can only see your photos by following a couple of links. The hosting site you are using lacks a security certificate, apparently so either my browser or BM won't automatically show the pics. Most people won't bother clicking twice to look at your pictures especially when you get further on with the build and post more photos per update for us to drool over.

@Bertie McBoatface said: "By the way, I can only see your photos by following a couple of links. The hosting site you are using lacks a security certificate"

Yes I know that. It's my personal website. I'm working on getting a cert. They wouldn't let me do it while I was in Brazil, but now I'm back home, hopefully I can get it done.  You can always set your browser  to deselect https only mode.  Most browsers are in Https only mode by default. I understand if people don't want to do that.

I had the great honour and pleasure of meeting Ian Keltie; he and I along with our mutual friend Robert Bracken shared dinner (which he insisted on paying for, despite my objections) and later, drinks at his home.  This would have been in the early 2000s.  He told stories of his wartime service and of flying Spitfires (and other types) while I sat there in awe and tried not interrupt.  I presented him with a 1/48 model of his Spitfire including the Popeye nose art which I hand painted (there being no decals for it back then).

You’ve made a nice start on this one, I’ll be following along with fond memories of a great evening with an incredible man.

• Like 2

Just so you know this won't be a super detailed, extra p.E, resin stuffed model. I'm doing this as is, out of the box, I'm not a professional, or looking to enter competition. Just for personal pleasure. To which there's a touch of irony in that I built the original 1/24 Spit 1a back in 1973 which I won in the only competition I've ever entered!

One of the lessons learned from building the Typhoon is how tight the tolerances are on these new superkits. Alignment of parts is vital, and yes a coat of paint can throw the whole thing out. Be sure to keep mating surfaces clear of paint

Impressive start. Who doesn't love a Spitfire? 

I'll pull up a chair for this one, if I may, sir?

Edited by MOK61

After a couple of days off (we call it a week-end).. starting with the airplane shaped bits.....

SpitIX_020.jpg

I was a bit perplexed as to why the undertail section was a separate piece - but I guess it's to allow other versions with a retractable tailwheel? The other thing that perplexed me was why the radio access hatch isn't a separate piece, especially when they give the entire internal r/t mounting and box, which can't be otherwise seen..... I'll be cutting it out to show it open. At least it has a very clear outline to let that be done..

• Like 1

Cockpit almost complete and radio hatch opened up.

SpitIX_024.jpg

@kev67 Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer not to use cloud services. And always ask yourself why is it free? Remember (to paraphrase Joseph Heller), "just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." 😎

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Billos said:

And always ask yourself why is it free? Remember (to paraphrase Joseph Heller), "just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." 😎

Or put another way, if you are using a service without being charged for it, you’re the product.

Nice work on the Spit interior, this is coming along nicely.

Following this one. Always interested to see a larger scale Spitfire build. I’d love to build one but have no idea where I’d store it when completed! 

Excellent start so far 👌🏻

Edited by morfman

Cracking along....

Radio fitted and fuselage closed up. Tail fitted.

SpitIX_028a.jpg

One small point. If you do the rudder offset either way, then you'll have to either shorten or lengthen the ruder actuator (part H25) which is molded in the straight ahead length. It's easiest of course to offset the rudder to port, as that means you just have to shorten the actuator by simply snipping a bit. The other way will involve extending the actual rod. Pic shows the umodified rod NOT fitting it's locating holes.

SpitIX_028.jpg

• Like 1

In Step 55, there's a reference to drilling a 1mm hole just on the starboard trailing edge.  There's no other reference I can find in the instructions as to what that might be for, and I can't find any obvious images anywhere that shows such a hole on a spitIX underside. Does anyone know what this is for? I don't want to have to drill a  hole that has no use.

SpitInstQ.jpg

31 minutes ago, Billos said:

In Step 55, there's a reference to drilling a 1mm hole just on the starboard trailing edge.  There's no other reference I can find in the instructions as to what that might be for, and I can't find any obvious images anywhere that shows such a hole on a spitIX underside. Does anyone know what this is for? I don't want to have to drill a  hole that has no use.

As @Biggles87 says, it's the IFF rod aerial, part N16 step 233

• Like 1