who doesn't need an AT-AT

So For many years now I've been mulling around with the idea of building an AT-AT. A working one. Nothing too silly, 'bout the size of a Labrador. 

I've more or less figured out how to do it now, basically 4 gimbal controller boards will give me FOC Brushless motor control coupled with 3 pancake brushless motors per leg will have enough torque and precision to hold each leg as it moves, either Arduino or one of the many drone controller boards would oversee the co-ordinatoin and walking bits. I've found some good animation sequences for the walking gate too. I've got the CNC and 3D printing kit I need now too, so basically running out of excuses not to do it!

Anyway, it's looking do-able, so I started looking around for decent drawings, gave up and thought I know I'll buy a kit! so I got the Bandai 144th jobbie ostensibly to reverse engineer and CAD draw all the bits.

Turns out it's a really nice thing, so here it is. Somewhat hurriedly lashed together and currently residing in my office. I shall call him Keith.

So surprising fact of the day, if you look up an AT-ATs frock, its nether regions are made out out of Rolls Royce Pegasus engines!

53282471831_9117c96e8f_b.jpg

probably off the nasty old Airfix 1/24th Harrier kit if I were a betting man, it was about the right time - who knew? certainly not me. If this is common knowledge, I'll get me coat, but I was quite excited about it.

Anyway, heres a few cellphone snaps of the beast. It's actually a great little kit.

53282941310_e182336d44_b.jpg

53282941515_e5c9967860_b.jpg

53282472001_53411678f7_b.jpg

53282471991_2629744af9_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 37

4 hours ago, nick said:

I've more or less figured out how to do it now, basically 4 gimbal controller boards will give me FOC Brushless motor control coupled with 3 pancake brushless motors per leg will have enough torque and precision to hold each leg as it moves, either Arduino or one of the many drone controller boards would oversee the co-ordinatoin and walking bits. I've found some good animation sequences for the walking gate too. I've got the CNC and 3D printing kit I need now too, so basically running out of excuses not to do it!

Anyway, it's looking do-able

And one day in the near future you will probably be able to download some open source AI code for your homemade Labrador Dog sized AT-AT and he will be able to walk around the house all on his own under his own control.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Richard E said:

And one day in the near future you will probably be able to download some open source AI code for your homemade Labrador Dog sized AT-AT and he will be able to walk around the house all on his own under his own control.

I was always going to shoot for semi-autonomous (rather than straight RC) anyway to be honest. I’ve played with DJIs drone SDK a bit and a lot of their collision avoidance/autonomy stuff should drop straight in. They have a Boston Dynamics ‘spot’ at a technology centre near me and they have taught it to pee on lamp posts. If it was mine, I would fill it with Champagne (replacing the current water) simultaneously making it both the coolest and grossest drinks waiter ever. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Very nice, I want one of these running around my hobby desk like an excited puppy.

Funnily enough, I do have an actual excited puppy running round my hobby desk as we speak. Well 20 months but still very puppyish when it comes to excitedly running round stuff. 
53162275065_a5fe1848f0_b.jpg

• Like 8

On 24/10/2023 at 17:07, nick said:

I shall call him Keith.

That's very kind, naming him after me .... or was the other Keith? 🤔

He's a good looking thing though .... unlike me! 🤣

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...