Anti-Gravity / Mag-Lev Racer

I started a new kitbash. After building only robots and mechs the last couple years, I’m itching to build some vehicles. This time, a sort of hover racer, stylistically landing somewhere between ye olde video game Wipeout and the Ma.K universe.

I started with this 1/24 scale Fujimi figure. I modified his arms to go from holding a steering wheel to holding joysticks by his side. This was done by inserting an aluminum armature wire, bending the arms into position, then filling the gaps with some putty. This, unfortunately, caused some distortion to his already weirdly proportioned body. I’m not to bothered by this, but yes, he looks a bit weird.

spacer.png

spacer.png

From there I started to build up a cockpit of sorts. The chair is from an old muscle car kit. The chair control arms are suspension leaf springs from the same kit.

I also started to glue some junk to the figure to make sure he looks suitable futuristic. I need to do a bit more, maybe some hoses etc. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also added a styrene pin to keep the pilot from constantly falling out of his chair...

spacer.png

Some time ago I had seen someone had built a cool Falke variant using 2 H-21 Shawnee flying banana helicopter fuselages. I thought it looked really cool and filed that idea for later use. Recently, a local shop had a couple 1:72 Italari versions of the kit pretty cheap (17 bucks ea.), so I scooped them up. 

spacer.png

So that's the basic scheme. Now...how to actually pull it off? 

After rummaging through the bit boxes, I came up with this arrangement:

spacer.png

1:12 Estar Guars Battle Droid and Tamiya motorcycle frame form the basis of the central pod. There's quite a bit of scale variation going on so far, 1:12, 1:24, and 1:72. 

So here's a few shot of where things stand, taken quickly before the tape holding everything together failed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I plan to build a big engine for behind the pilot and start working out how to attach the booms. I'm thinking about aluminum armature wire so I can adjust and match the angle and then sculpting some putty over that.

Ok, that's it for now. over and out.

• Like 9

Well I seem to be the first one here. So I'll park the TARDIS in the corner and pull up a nice retro '60's egg chair. There, nice and comfy. 

This is right up my alley, so I hope you don't mind the odd 'helpful' comment? I like the Shawnee booms. They'll look good greeblied up a bit.

I always like to mix up the scales. It's surprising what you can achieve.

Engine? A Yakult bottle like the Falke, maybe? 

And I found this picture on line yesterday. Inspiration maybe?

https://64.media.tumblr.com/8f702eb8bd6819f0009dad9add61a2fe/8b4f8104ae5c6d44-f4/s1280x1920/6e9f5d5f869b7c83807b8356ac9caf9090b3367e.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic, Pete. its very cool. I did try a Yakult bottle, but its a bit big for the space where I'd like to put it.  I think I'm going to have to bash something together from odds and ends.

Yes, I think using parts from vastly different scales can often lead to very interesting results (as long as the parts aren't too recognizable.)

• Like 1

Oh nice will enjoy seeing this come together! Yeah I can vaguely remember seeing that same falke variant with the banana chopper bits, I used to hang out at the Ma.k forum a lot and there were some seriously cool fan designs on there.

Its off to a good start, i'll be following with interest :popcorn:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I've been slowly making some progress on this and I finally have enough to warrant an update. 

The orange piece pictured below is a frame from an unidentified car model. I want to keep the cockpit mostly open, but like the idea of a protective cage of some sort. This was the best thing I could come up with, given the parts I have to hand. I like the sloping shape, so I 'll try to make it work. The alternative is scratch building something, which honestly isn't very appealing at the moment.

spacer.png

I wanted to have an absurdly huge engine in the rear. I didn't have the right kit parts to really achieve what I was imagining, so I resorted to a hybrid of 3D printing and kit bashing. The two bulbous exhausts are from a couple of novelty pens that I've been saving for a while. the central cylindrical tank is a Gundam option part. the rest were designed and printed to integrate the kit parts. 

spacer.png

Then I continued to add model parts and wires, including an entire motorcycle engine.

spacer.png

I got some primer on it and deemed it good enough.

spacer.png

I glued up the two helicopters and sealed up the windows and hatches with some putty, having first glued in a styrene sheet from the inside. I also added some tapered bumps from an airplane kit (?) and blended them in with some putty to vary the shape a bit.  Some mechanical bits were added to either side to suggest some airbrakes, or some such.

spacer.png

The side pods were attached using aluminum wire so I could adjust the "pose" and get them symmetric. Then covered in epoxy to fix in place.

spacer.png

Now I'm entering the 'Epoxy Putty Hell' portion of the build, whereby I attempt to blend them into the main body. 

The annual mecha building contest that I've been participating in the last few years starts up again on Feb 1st, so I'm rushing a bit to get this in a good place before I inevitably put it in a box for the next six months. oh well...

Thanks for looking in.

Pete

Edited by Photon
  • Like 11

That's a monster of an engine. It'll look great when it's painted up.

Love the booms. I'd beef up their attachment/swivel points more. 

The frame looks good. Do you have some fins, vertical and horizontal, to add to the front of it?

1 hour ago, Photon said:

inevitably put it in a box for the next six months.

Such a shame. It's so good it needs to be finished.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Pete. Yeah, I’m starting to fill in the side pod attachments. I’m using an epoxy putty/clay. The attachments will have similar thickness as the rest of the pod and hopefully flow organically into the body. I have some outrigger/ stabilizer type projections for the front of the body.but  I still haven’t got that area totally sorted yet.

I may add a fin or two on the bottom. I have a box of miscellaneous plane bits at the ready.

I will finish it for sure. I may delay starting the contest until this is wrapped up…at least the building part. I may hold off on painting until the weather warms up a bit. I’m also planning on dialing back my contest entry this year so I have more time to build other stuff.

Edited by Photon
  • Like 1

subject to change, but this is the general idea:

spacer.png

everything is just balanced and held with tape, so its a bit wonky, but hopefully the vibe comes through

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

Man that engine is fantastic! Love the look your going for with this, and it's great seeing more progress 

Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update...I've mainly been working on integrating the two sides. The symmetry isn't perfect, but I think its good enough.

spacer.png

I also built up these two inlet/ tank things and got them attached. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for now. Hopefully, I'll have more to share soon. Thanks for checking in.

Edited by Photon
  • Like 14

It is wonderful. You're great at connecting very distant worlds.

It's not easy to combine such different parts into a coherent and good-looking whole, but you managed to do it really well.

• Like 2

This is cooler than a Penguin's bum in January! The side-pods remind me of some of the shapes in the "Alien" derelict ship (still the very best-looking spaceship in film history, IMHO). 

Thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Chris.  

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 2:10 AM, spruecutter96 said:

The side-pods remind me of some of the shapes in the "Alien" derelict ship

I was going to say that! I'm enjoying this build - very cool, especially as it all comes from your imagination...

• Like 1

There's something very Alien-esque about the front of the booms, loving it.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edit; Didn't read spruecutter96's comment properly to see he had beaten me to the punch, so to speak.

Edited by silverfox63
  • Like 2