Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

549 Excellent

1 Follower

About Photon

  • Rank
    New Member
  • Birthday 01/03/1969

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Boston, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

641 profile views
  1. Very interested to follow along. Martin Bower modeled a bunch of the Dan Dare ships years ago. There are some pictures here: Link
  2. Thanks, Pete! Shouldn't be too much longer now.
  3. Thanks for all the leads on some scale figures. Very helpful. I finally picked up some backpacker figures. They’re not 100% what I was looking for, but I’m getting anxious to finish. I have added some fine dirt. This was just dirt from pile at a job site near where I work. I grabbed a couple yogurt cups full and then later sifted it through a wire screen to get rid of rocks and plant debris. I applied some glue with a brush (Mod Podge matte) to the plaster. A nylon stocking was stretched over the yogurt cup and shook it over the model, salt shaker style. Only the finest powder made i
  4. Peter Wyngarde would have approved.
  5. Looks like a fun project. I think it would be cool to add a few details to the suit, maybe some extra detail on the backpack or a new weapon. Then a small simple base to display it. Some of the glue damage could perhaps be expressed as battle damage or wear and tear once you get to the paint stage. Another thought is a derelict suit, rusted and with moss growing on it, maybe with a skeleton inside(?) Here’s what I mean by a small base (this is not my work, btw)
  6. Looks ace, Pete. Lots of really nice details on this one. I especially like the canopy.
  7. Looks fantastic. I really like the paint job. Are you going to add any markings? I’m looking forward to the RFI shots.
  8. Absolutely ace work, Pete. You really seem to know your way around aircraft and it really shows in your work. The details really sell it. Great job!
  9. Yes, I’ve had my eye on some Preiser backpackers, but they’re pricey and often out of stock. As I recall, I wasn’t 100% in love with them (their garb is too distinctly Bavarian), but maybe I’ll just grab them, because I do prefer the idea of hikers.
  10. I do have some HO scale astronaut figures left over from another project that could be modified to look less ‘astronautical ’ and maybe a bit more ‘hazmatic’. They’re a bit soft, as far as details go, but some micro putty work and I think they could be brought closer to the ones in the original drawing. Here’s what the HO figures look like in the scene. What do you think scale wise? 1/100 figures would certainly lend some titanic grandeur, but I do like the idea of finishing this in my lifetime. There’s a large war gaming / toy solder shop and a huge mo
  11. Thanks, Pete. I actually haven’t looked at 1/100. Outside of Gundam stuff, I wasn’t aware of many things being produced at that scale. Is it a tabletop game scale? I really like the texture, too. Unfortunately, it will mostly be covered in grass. I have some ideas for a couple submersible drone models. I think this texture will be well-suited to undersea landscape.
  12. Waiting for the plaster to fully dry, then weathering and vegetation. Still haven’t found any suitable figures in HO scale. Maybe if I widen my search to include 1:72, I’ll probably have better luck. 1:72 is a bit bigger than I’d like, though.
  13. Thanks. I used plaster mixed with some paper pulp to bulk it out. The paper pulp is an entire roll of toilet paper that I shredded with an immersion blender (in water to keep the dust down). Then I spread it on an old window screen and let the water evaporate. I just add it to the plaster mix by eye as needed. The right consistency is similar to loose porridge or cottage cheese. It’s an attempt to DIY a product called Sculpt-a-mold, that is popular with war gamers and model railroaders. The plaster that I used is a brand called Durham’s Water Putty. It’s yellow because they add limes
  14. I needed the panels to be thin shells that would fit perfectly over the ship hull. The shapes that I’m forming over are identically sized to the original. That means the inside of the vacuum formed panel will conform perfectly to the model. To 3D model a thin shell that would conform to the surface of the ship is beyond my computer skills and would be difficult to print without warping. Also, I really like vacuum forming and don’t get many opportunities to do it. Thanks
  15. As usual, I’m bouncing between multiple projects. I finally put some time into this and thought I’d share some progress. I thought the ship hull looked a bit stark, so I decided to have a go making some panels. In order to get them to conform to the compound curves of the hull, I vacuum formed them. I printed three instances of this portion of the ship. I arranged them with a triangular plywood spacer, so the plastic wouldn’t have to be drawn as deep, preserving a bit of material thickness in the final parts. vacuum-forming machine:
  • Create New...