1/48 - Douglas A-4M Skyhawk by Magic Factory - box art+3D renders+schemes+decals+test build - release in 2024

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas A-4M Skyhawk by Magic Factory - design model - release in 2024

Yet again we have the leading edge slats depicted with a noticeable 'step'. How much longer do we have to wait for a kit that has this feature done properly? Do none of these people ever look at photographs or at the full-size aircraft instead of just copying every other Skyhawk kit? As Homer Simpson might say, 'Doh'!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

Yet again we have the leading edge slats depicted with a noticeable 'step'. How much longer do we have to wait for a kit that has this feature done properly? Do none of these people ever look at photographs or at the full-size aircraft instead of just copying every other Skyhawk kit? As Homer Simpson might say, 'Doh'!

Might have something to do with offering the option of 'poseable slats' and not wanting to add a separate part for the slat 'well'.

Then the actual slat has to go somewhere, and I'm assuming the trailing edge can't be moulded that thin.

On 29/09/2023 at 09:07, Bozothenutter said:

Might have something to do with offering the option of 'poseable slats' and not wanting to add a separate part for the slat 'well'.

Then the actual slat has to go somewhere, and I'm assuming the trailing edge can't be moulded that thin.

But it's still akward solution. There should be just two optional separate inserts, for both configuration. This kit seems to simply mimicking old Hasegawa release, with some additions, but actually doesn't seem to be much of an improvement when compared to Hase kit... Which is one of the best Hasegawa'a oldie but goodie. 
Personally I'm not that much about opening everything. It's a god damn trend in scale modeling these days, but in fact it visually destroys aerodynamical elegance of aircraft's shapes and curves.

Oh, and rivets. Did I mention rivets? 
They are not visible on pics apart from flaps, but being chinese model making company obligs, so I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of them ;).

Edited by koho
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, koho said:

But it still akward solution. There should be just two optional separate inserts, for both configuration. This kit seems to simply mimicking old Hasegawa release, with some additions, but actually doesn't seem to be much of an improvement when compared to Hase kit... Which is one of the best Hasegawa'a oldie but goodie. 

I completely agree, but if the manufacturer doesn't want to ......🤷‍♂️

42 minutes ago, Steve McArthur said:

I'd guess they inspected a museum plane that had either a screen or plate over the hole to keep critters and other crud out.

That would be unfortunate, but it wouldn’t be difficult to drill out. Put a short piece of styrene tube behind the hole and paint the insides black. You can’t see any detail inside there on the real thing anyway.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas A-4M Skyhawk by Magic Factory - design model+box art - release in 2024
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas A-4M Skyhawk by Magic Factory - design model+box art+3D renders - release in 2024

If they were going to release an A-4M variant, at least they could have released the unique Argentinian A-4AR Fighting Hawk, rather than just another A-4M. Honestly, the Hasegawa kit is already very good.

Edited by Jackman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jackman said:

If they were going to release an A-4M variant, at least they could have released the unique Argentinian A-4AR Fighting Hawk, rather than just another A-4M. Honestly, the Hasegawa kit is already very good.

1 hour ago, Steve McArthur said:

And, it's still easy to find at a fairly low prices. 

But it doesn't make money for Magic Factory....simples 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

But it doesn't make money for Magic Factory....simples 🤷🏾‍♂️

But who's going to be buying it when the Hasegawa is still available and, based on recent pricing of Chinese kits, I'd guess for at least half to a third of what the Magic Factory kit will probably retail for?  If they want money come out with variants that are hard to find: A/B/C/G/H/K/KU/L/N/PTM/P/Q/S/SU/AR/AF-1 

• Like 1

Well, based on the boxart, it has markings for VMA-131, which was my squadron so I’m in for at least one.

It’s funny that Magic Factory calls the A-4 a light attack aircraft when it was designed to carry a nuclear bomb.

Furthermore, it could carry 8,500lbs of stuff on the external hard points which is more than the typical load of a WWII B-17.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve McArthur said:

But who's going to be buying it when the Hasegawa is still available and, based on recent pricing of Chinese kits, I'd guess for at least half to a third of what the Magic Factory kit will probably retail for?  If they want money come out with variants that are hard to find: A/B/C/G/H/K/KU/L/N/PTM/P/Q/S/SU/AR/AF-1 

The Hasegawa A-4 doesn't have all those open panels and it isn't covered in rivets. So the people that want that will be buying this kit. People are buying the MF Corsair, but you could say why when  the Tamiya is still available at a very good price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is right up my alleyway, this is EVERYTHING I’m looking for. It’s not hard to get hold of like the Hasegawa kit, it’s not expensive like the over priced Hasegawa kit. It has more detail than the Hobby Boss kit and non of the H.B errors. Both of which kits I’ve built and I won’t recommend the Hasegawa to anyone. And another thing it comes with weapons unlike the Hasegawa offering.     😉

• Like 1

I seriously doubt MF would invest all of those development resources just to make a single variant.  The M is likely just the first to hit the market.  I'm holding out for a B/C.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

It’s funny that Magic Factory calls the A-4 a light attack aircraft when it was designed to carry a nuclear bomb.

Furthermore, it could carry 8,500lbs of stuff on the external hard points which is more than the typical load of a WWII B-17.

Impressive little bird for sure, but the F-105 was hefting 14,000 plus a 6 barrel Gatling cannon.  The F-15E will do a cool 23,000+cannon. 😲  The B-17 wasn't actually that impressive, being a mid-30s design.  It was relegated to medium bomber status before the war ended, thanks to the B-29 which could lift 2 empty A-4 Skyhawks worth of payload! 😁

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

It was the light attack plane when the other Navy attack aircraft was the A-6.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zulu Lima said:

I seriously doubt MF would invest all of those development resources just to make a single variant.  The M is likely just the first to hit the market.  I'm holding out for a B/C

Taking this into account, the OA-4M is long overdue, and could do with one or two of them. I’m sure this model company has a long term vision.   😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Offset control surface, nope not unless the flight control disconnect handle has been pulled.

Control surfaces will migrate back to the neutral position, the power packs like to centre themselves.

As per most A-4 kits the horizontal stab isn't in the full nose up position, poor maintainer has to go put power on and motor it down so he can check the elevator power pack disconnect.

Canopy is sitting so high its very likely shagged the shear pins, nobody every puts the strap on the canopy hook.

An M without a hump? What madness is this?

Wonder why the knuckle head pickled off his centre line tank, this is why pilots aren't allowed to touch stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Offset control surface, nope not unless the flight control disconnect handle has been pulled.

Control surfaces will migrate back to the neutral position, the power packs like to centre themselves.

Are they not just showing what can be done with the kit? Not everyone wants to model a kit parked up or taxing. Options are good.