I'm going to be selling stuff soon but...

Ossington 2

I need to get into my loft space first. This is the view from the steps:

https://ibb.co/Fs9vy9p

After an hour or so unloading into a bedroom, I get to here:

https://ibb.co/GCBcc3H

but it goes back another 2-3 feet or so. Somewhere I have to find a vacform I have promised a viewer. I have to clear this stuff soon. I didn't realise that I own 9, (so far) 1/24 Harriers and I know of at least two others in the Heap of Doom. Am I alone here? 

• Confused 1

Most of us are obsessed. :mental:  Meanwhile however, I've moved this thread into chat, as it's not a sale thread, and if you then went and posted a sale thread, you'd end up getting them both deleted, as it's a one thread per member area, for obvious reasons.

When you're ready to put them on, create a new thread in the Sale area, and leave this one behind.

Oh, and if you want to stop buying multiples of kits by accident, use Suisoft's Kitbase, as it has saved me from doing just that, and I even have a vague clue where some of my models are these days :shocked:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Most of us are obsessed. :mental:  Meanwhile however, I've moved this thread into chat, as it's not a sale thread, and if you then went and posted a sale thread, you'd end up getting them both deleted, as it's a one thread per member area, for obvious reasons.

When you're ready to put them on, create a new thread in the Sale area, and leave this one behind.

Oh, and if you want to stop buying multiples of kits by accident, use Suisoft's Kitbase, as it has saved me from doing just that, and I even have a vague clue where some of my models are these days :shocked:

If you need special software to help you know what kits you have got then it's time to admit you may have a stash problem. 😁

(Can this software be used for CDs?) 😋

• Haha 3

Sorry, I meant it to be in 'chat' but went to 'buy and sell' for a nosey first. I am going to have to get rid of a lot, even the part-started. Trouble is, I see buildable kits (as opposed to mint 'collector' kits) with tatty boxes or some decals short going on fleabay for so cheap that I buy even more. You ought to see my book collection. Lots of known duplicates because it is easier to buy another copy than try to find the copy I just know I have, somewhere. I don't actually make models now, just plan them. Reference books, PE, resin, extra decals then buy the kit and daren't start it. Help!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, Mike said:

I have been using a spreadsheet for that for well over 30 years. It was initially populated from a hand-written list of my first 7 years, which I probably reconstructed from memory. The structure of the spreadsheet has been gradually refined and expanded over time, to the point where it records much of what Kitbase does. If I ever felt the need for a proper database, I'd probably design my own. Or maybe not, as that would be too much like the day-job, and this hobby is supposed to be relaxing.

I also have a separate spreadsheet for paints, as well as one for books and journals, another one for my music, and still others for this, that and the other. None of those are as big or complex as the kits spreadsheet though.

At the risk of being terminally dull,  I'd just point out that keeping a copy of your kit spreadsheet in the fire safe is probably a good idea for insurance purposes.....  might want to include the built ones too.....

21 minutes ago, IanHx said:

keeping a copy of your kit spreadsheet in the fire safe

I keep mine in the cloud (Dropbox, to be precise), so that it's available on my phone or a different computer or wherever, and it's always as up to date as I make it, wherever I view it.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 20:47, IanHx said:

At the risk of being terminally dull,  I'd just point out that keeping a copy of your kit spreadsheet in the fire safe is probably a good idea for insurance purposes.....  might want to include the built ones too.....

@IanHx makes a very good point. Can I add that not only is insurance desirable but check the policy terms carefully. Some have a limit on how much they will pay for a single item (think expensive jewellery) which has to get an endorsement and a premium payment hike to cover it. Most single models will be below the limit but the odd Uber expensive one not. 
Plus the stash might get viewed as a “collection “. Think stamp collection eg.  Again check if the “collection” might need special cover. If you don’t and there is a claim do not imagine for a second an insurer won’t bump it if they can. 

Edit

ps

I just did a quick calculation. Some people on here have a 100 plus stash unmade. Even a relatively inexpensive kit can cost £40-50. Add some aftermarket such as decals or etch and it’s going to be nearer £60 each or on average. So stash value around £5000. More if you get into 1/32 where price per kit is over £100.  An insurer will not like a claim for £5000-10000 for 100 models if that’s not declared at the inception of the policy.  On the other hand if they are asked and say it’s fine then they have to pay up. 

Better to check with them and stay insured rather than not check and discover you are not covered after making a claim following on a loss

• Like 1