Levasseur Pl.8 L'Oiseau Blanc 1/32 Scratch Build

On 17/07/2023 at 14:24, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Richie

Congratulations on giving up smoking and wow this is a fantastic project, what a big aircraft too. Great start the tail feathers look fantastic.  

Very impressive work.

Chris

See… just quoting this guy saves me a heap of typing!

Nice method for testing symmetry, I’m going to use that one day! 👍

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

have to say you're making this look easy Richie.

Appearances can be quite deceptive Chris! Although there are no difficult techniques used so far I've contrived to make a real mess of things a few times. All part of the fun though! 

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice method for testing symmetry, I’m going to use that one day!

Hiya Steve, definitely use the simple symmetry method. I've often spent hours staring at pieces and filing bits off by eye to achieve symmetry. This idea just popped into my head and took less than 5 minutes. Oh the wasted hours! 😂

Richie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Those hours were not wasted just so long as they weren’t filled in smoking cigarettes.

That awful habit wasted hours and thousands of pounds of hard earned cash. With all that money I could have had a decent workshop and maybe even a bandsaw. Given my clumsiness I may not still have the correct number of fingers though. 🙄

Richie

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I hardly ever click on the 'new content' button but today I did. This post was at the top and I'm delighted to have found it. I've picked up a ton of ideas and information already that will probably lead me off in all kinds of new directions. I look on that as a very satisfactory result.

Well done on the fag front. Don't let the things beat you.

A fag related story that might help... I've just taken delivery of a 1.8 scale Monogram 1932 Ford Hot Rod. A lovely kit and one I'm looking forward to getting stuck into. A bit of a drawback is that the last owner was an Olympic smoker if the smell coming from it is any indication. All the bagged parts have needed multiple washes in progressively more agressive stuff to get them odor free. The box is out in the garage, airing, but the tires (it's an American kit) are proving very difficult indeed to clean. Not exactly a pleasent story but if it comes to mind when the craving strikes, I really hope it might help you.

Best wishes,

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I've picked up a ton of ideas and information already that will probably lead me off in all kinds of new directions. I look on that as a very satisfactory result.

Many thanks Tony, I'm so happy to hear you've picked up some ideas that might be useful.

Hope you can get the Ford Hot Rod stink free. That is a very motivating story!

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Many thanks Tony, I'm so happy to hear you've picked up some ideas that might be useful.

Richie

Your method of embossing rib detail looks like it might be transferable to car upholstery.  If so, you have opened up a world of possibilities here.

T-R-int.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Your method of embossing rib detail looks like it might be transferable to car upholstery. 

Looks worth a shot! 

My dad gave up smoking in his early fourties’. He’s now in his mid eighties and in rude health. I doubt very much that he would still be with us if he had not given up. I’m very pleased he managed. 

Interestingly, and I think coincidentally but maybe not, I think he gave up at about the same time as he started scratchbuilding model trams…. 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Interestingly, and I think coincidentally but maybe not, I think he gave up at about the same time as he started scratchbuilding model trams…. 🤔

Perhaps I should start a model tram to make sure I stay off them! 

Is your dad still modelling? I bet he was proud of your tank build. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RichieW said:

Perhaps I should start a model tram to make sure I stay off them! 

Is your dad still modelling? I bet he was proud of your tank build. 

Richie

Trams really are great subjects for scratchbuilding, not only because there are so few kits and are so rarely built but also because they come in a great variety of shapes and sizes, are almost always very colourful and are often sources of nostalgia for the viewers and have lots of local interest in the towns that they operated in. 

Yes, dad seemed to think the PZH was pretty good and yes he still works on the occasional model but the hands aren’t as steady as they once were and the eyes not quite so sharp. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:15 PM, bigbadbadge said:

the fin and rudder looks absolutely superb along with the horizontal tail plane and elevator, wow, I have to say you're making this look easy Richie.

I’m going to follow @Bandsaw Steve’s lead and just quote what Chris says, he seem to have the knack of putting his finger on it….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2023 at 00:38, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yes, dad seemed to think the PZH was pretty good and yes he still works on the occasional model but the hands aren’t as steady as they once were and the eyes not quite so sharp. 

Good to hear he's still able to work on a model when the fancy takes him, that's inspiring! Your PZH is one the finest scratch built models of any kind I've ever seen, a proper demonstration of what can be done with a huge amount of perseverance and old fashioned skills.

On 28/07/2023 at 06:49, Fritag said:

’m going to follow @Bandsaw Steve’s lead and just quote what Chris says, he seem to have the knack of putting his finger on it….

HAHA, that'll do me! :)

On 28/07/2023 at 07:05, AdrianMF said:

Beautiful work on the tail.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks so much Adrian, very kind of you sir. :)

Well I have had many distractions due largely to England and Australia locking horns in a very keenly contested Ashes series. 

Other than that I am pleased to say that I remain fag free after 4 weeks and have even done a bit more to the White Bird. I couldn't help but apply the first splash of colour to the rudder. 

This was followed by a first go at printing my own decals. I spent many hours mucking about with various ways of drawing the anchor but in the end just downloaded a French Aeronavale roundel and a friend isolated the anchor for me in Photoshop. While I was at it I managed to find a picture of Nungesser's skull, coffin and candles emblem.

Please forgive the rubbish photo, 

53087312124_6e0fa7617f_c.jpg20230801_210101 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

These have just been applied so will need a clear coat, I'm a bit concerned about how thick the decal paper is but maybe they will dry nice and flat by the morning. The anchor rope was just drawn on with a black Posca pen once the decal was applied. I probably should have waited a day but for some reason or other I didn't. Not a huge step forward but if the decals look OK tomorrow it is another string to my bow.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my project. All comments, criticisms and advice gratefully received.

Richie

Edited by RichieW
  • Like 11

Ritchie

As a former cigarette addict let me tell you that a 4 weeks off the cancer sticks you are over the worst of it

Smoking hooks you at two levels -

the physical addiction; and

the associative habit

The associative habit is a real bugger - Feeling stressed - have a fag ... finished a meal - have a fag

I found the associative default/ habit the hardest to break

It was only when I told myself - and it had to be a conscious acknowledgement to engage a real effort of will -  that I didn't need the ruddy cigarette that I beat all those associations that are so much a part of this pernicious habit .

that was 30 years ago now and yes! you will save a fortune !!

Well done

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ritchie

Your embossing technique echoes the late Harry Woodman's method for creating ribbed wings and it's very effective

Your home made decals look excellent - are they laser, inkjet or ALPS printed ?

Can you recall and please share the fonts you used for each row of lettering ?

PS

Whoever did the trimming on that car's upholstery did a gold medalob - it's outstanding

David 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davidl said:

As a former cigarette addict let me tell you that a 4 weeks off the cancer sticks you are over the worst of it

Smoking hooks you at two levels -

the physical addiction; and

the associative habit

Many thanks David, much appreciated! I think/hope I've broken the associative habit now. Even went to the pub for a few beers and didn't even consider having a smoke. I found half a pack of cigarettes in my coat pocket at cricket on Sunday and threw them away.  Really chuffed about that! :)

Richie 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davidl said:

Can you recall and please share the fonts you used for each row of lettering

Thanks David, I used Microsoft Word so all the info is at hand. The font is all Amasis MT Pro Medium. Point sizes as follows:

Avion..... 6pt

P.LEVASSEUR.. 13pt. BOLD

TYPE..  11pt.   8...16pt

Moteur 4 point. LORRAINE 6pt.

I typed it up in many different point sizes an printed on plain paper first. The words were all cut out and test fitted onto the rudder to choose the best fit. 

The decal paper is Gekko laserjet paper (small UK brand) and my printer is an old Lexmark 3310 laser printer. No special print settings were used. 

Apologies for not being more detailed in the original update and yes the rib embossing method is pure Harry Woodman style. :)

Richie

• Like 1

Nice job!

Incidentally, I think many people would contend that TIGHAR's main focus is to send its chairman on a nice holiday each year. They were involved in an Amelia Earhart 'investigation', which rendered nothing but several holidays and a bunch of litigation directed toward anyone who dared challenge their lack of peer-reviewed findings. Or findings of any sort in fact. Ditto the search for Glenn Miller. Ditto L'Oiseau Blanc.

Hopefully L'Oiseau Blanc may be located one day, but it won't be by TIGHAR.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Hopefully L'Oiseau Blanc may be located one day, but it won't be by TIGHAR.

Many thanks for posting and I do very much agree. Having read through all of their information they seem to be trying to claim their pet Gull Pond theory to be a fact despite no hard evidence whatsoever. It doesn't look like a proper search. I feel that if they have been unable to find any trace of L'Oiseau Blanc in 6 foot of still water it was never there. 

It would seem they would very much like a monthly donation though. 

Richie

• Like 2

The painted rudder and the decal look terrific.  

It's really rather fun searching for fonts for oddball markings. I bought a pack of A4 clear laser sheets from Lazertran over a decade ago and I think it's going to outlast me!  

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do fantastic work at this scale, Richie! And on a striking and worthy subject.

I've got several old pill-bottles I tape cutting grit sandpaper to for getting concave camber in an undersurface. At my scale, a regular half-round needle file will usually meet the need for trailing edges.

James

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The painted rudder and the decal look terrific.

Many thanks Adrian, sadly they don't look too good now, more of which later. 

29 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Richard,

I will follow with great interest if you don't mind it !!

Is there any room at the bar ??

Sincerely.

CC

Be my guest CC, always plenty of room at my bar. Great to have you along.

8 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You do fantastic work at this scale, Richie! And on a striking and worthy subject.

I've got several old pill-bottles I tape cutting grit sandpaper to for getting concave camber in an undersurface. At my scale, a regular half-round needle file will usually meet the need for trailing edges.

James

Many thanks James, when I first learned about this flight, I'm ashamed to admit just a few months ago, it struck me as a perfect subject for a scratch build attempt.

Well the feeling of triumph I got from my decal printing was rather short lived. The decal paper was rather thick and there were very obvious raised edges. Treatment with Micro Sol didn't really help and neither did a few layers of varnish. I didn't take photos to show you before removing the decals but I did put one on the shiny side of  a fresh  piece of styrene. I ran a little oil wash along the bottom which I hope enables you to see what I mean.

53090106083_576b8c290b_z.jpg20230802_220705 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I really hate this kind of thing, not even Tamiya decals are this thick.

I have some Experts Choice decal paper on order and will see how that works out. If all else fails it will be back to the Letraset and masks or, even though it goes against the grain, I may get the decals printed.

Sadly removing the decals and varnish caused a little surface damage which meant a little primer and filler so it really isn't looking very well at all. 

53089044767_23159ec6c1_z.jpg20230802_220736 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Nothing that can't be fixed and a very minor setback compared to many of my modelling misadventures. I'm away for a few days so at least the primer and filler will be fully cured when I get back.

Richie

• Sad 5