Shuttleworth Collection Military Air Show July 2023 (second batch added)

Evening all,

Here are some of my favourite shots from a lovely afternoon at Old Warden which was affected by cross wind, resulting in some cancellations.

In no particular order...

DSC_5832.jpg

DSC_5894.jpg

DSC_5945.jpg

DSC_5954.jpg

DSC_5967.jpg

DSC_6014.jpg

DSC_6029.jpg

DSC_6042.jpg

DSC_6118.jpg

DSC_6137.jpg

DSC_6225%20(2).jpg

DSC_6275%20(2).jpg

DSC_6316.jpg

DSC_6383.jpg

DSC_6445.jpg

DSC_6337a.jpg

DSC_6354%20(2).jpg

DSC_6497.jpg

DSC_6550.jpg

DSC_6360a.jpg

DSC_6398.jpg

DSC_6699.jpg

DSC_6758.jpg

DSC_6772.jpg

DSC_6782.jpg

DSC_6853.jpg

DSC_6879.jpg

DSC_6952.jpg

DSC_7014.jpg

DSC_7068.jpg

DSC_7111.jpg

DSC_7124.jpg

DSC_7134.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

That is a very nice set of shots indeed. Difficult to pick a favourite but for me the banking Spitfire is a real beauty and could be an air to air shot.

Thanks very much, Latinbear. The Spitfire I was scheduled to fly with the Hawker Fury, which couldn't fly due to the cross-wind. Likewise, the recently-restored Spitfire LF.IXe TE517 was scheduled to fly with the Collection's Spitfire, but that didn't happen either because the Collection Spitfire must be limited to a stricter cross-wind component. Still an enjoyable afternoon nonetheless!

21 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Gorgeous pics. For me, interest wise, are the photos of the yellow Navy Wings Harvard and Navion.

Thanks very much, Paul. I'm pleased you enjoyed the shots. The Navion is an interesting machine, which I have seen before (possibly at Little Gransden?)

• Like 1

Another cracking collection of photos Leigh taken at that most scenic and evocative of all UK airfields. Lots of favorites to choose from, but particularly like the Lysander, and its good to see Sally B flying again despite the grounding order that has affected B-17 flights in the US.

See you at RIAT!

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

Another cracking collection of photos Leigh taken at that most scenic and evocative of all UK airfields. Lots of favorites to choose from, but particularly like the Lysander, and its good to see Sally B flying again despite the grounding order that has affected B-17 flights in the US.

See you at RIAT!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I always enjoy Old Warden displays and even the lack of sun and the cross-wind cancellations didn't change that!

My favourite Collection aircraft are the Lysander and the Sea Hurricane, but it was lovely to see the newly-restored Spitfire TE517 and especially "Sally B" after the successful non-destructive testing required by the FAA airworthiness directive. I had never seen such a dynamic display by Peter Kuypers in "Sally B" as he seemed to be really enjoying himself with some hard turns resulting in more top-sides than normal!👍

• Like 2

I have edited some more shots from Sunday, which I hope may be of interest.

DSC_5984.jpg

DSC_6156.jpg

DSC_6217%20(2).jpg

DSC_6289%20(2).jpg

DSC_6317%20(2).jpg

DSC_6448.jpg

DSC_6479.jpg

DSC_6507.jpg

DSC_6563.jpg

DSC_6707.jpg

DSC_6895.jpg

DSC_6974.jpg

DSC_7041.jpg

DSC_7088.jpg

DSC_7121.jpg

I needed to leave before the Lancaster flypasts, due to family commitments, which was a shame as she seems to be doing some lovely topsides this year!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Shuttleworth Collection Military Air Show July 2023 (second batch added)

Alpha Delta 210,

SPECTACULAR  set of  Photographs  of GORGEOUS  collection of Aircrafts.

All are AMAZING  and iconic aircrafts in their own right..

I cannot  make up MY mind which I love the best as they are ALL STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!!

thank you L for the Photographs and sharing your delightful days out.

:heart:

:wow:

:worthy:

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Alpha Delta 210,

SPECTACULAR  set of  Photographs  of GORGEOUS  collection of Aircrafts.

All are AMAZING  and iconic aircrafts in their own right..

I cannot  make up MY mind which I love the best as they are ALL STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!!

thank you L for the Photographs and sharing your delightful days out.

:heart:

:wow:

:worthy:

Thanks for the kind words, Houston. I'm pleased that you enjoyed my record of a typically pleasant Old Warden summer afternoon!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks Mike! It's a Soko J-20 Kraguj, first flown in Yugoslavia in 1962. It's Lycomimg engine was VERY loud!!

Thanks :yes: I'd never have guessed that, and don't feel too ashamed of that fact now I know :) No wonder the engine was loud with those trumpets there! :lol:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thanks :yes: I'd never have guessed that, and don't feel too ashamed of that fact now I know :) No wonder the engine was loud with those trumpets there! :lol:

Definitely nothing to be ashamed of - I had never seen (or heard) of it either!

https://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_soko_j20_en.php

44 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Very good! Zooming in on the cockpits really makes for an interesting and unusual view. 

Thanks, Latinbear! I must confess that not all of the images were sharp enough for the tight crops.....

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for posting these beautiful shots.

I was at the show on Sunday, and in spite of a reduced programme the Shuttleworth team put on a wonderful show.

I was really pleased to see the Comet in the air, especially with its reputation for difficult handling. Also I found the Lysander display to be unexpectedly lively - always thought it performed best at low speeds.

Wasn't aware that the Fury was on the programme - it doesn't appear at many shows.

As I don't have the ability to take shots of this quality, it's really nice to have such a good record of the day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spyker said:

Hi, thanks for posting these beautiful shots.

I was at the show on Sunday, and in spite of a reduced programme the Shuttleworth team put on a wonderful show.

I was really pleased to see the Comet in the air, especially with its reputation for difficult handling. Also I found the Lysander display to be unexpectedly lively - always thought it performed best at low speeds.

Wasn't aware that the Fury was on the programme - it doesn't appear at many shows.

As I don't have the ability to take shots of this quality, it's really nice to have such a good record of the day!

Hi Spyker. Welcome to BM!

Thank you very much for the kind words, I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my record of the day.

I arrived at Old Warden at around 0945, so saw the Comet perform a graceful practice display and had the opportunity to exchange a few words with Paul Stone, the Collection's Chief Pilot as he walked in from the display. 

I have seen many Sally B displays over the years, but the one on Sunday seemed somehow more exciting with harder turns which made me feel that Peter Kuypers was genuinely excited to have the old girl back in the air after a challenging few months!

Thanks again for the kind words. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 12:03 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks for the kind words, Colin. I threw in the red/white Chipmunk "WB654" for you, even though it was a visitor rather than a display aircraft!😉

Very thoughtful of you Leigh, thank you always appreciate any Chipmunk pictures. Went to a fly in here in NZ only to find Chipmunk WP861 here that I have in my log book some 7 times.  It was the one Prince Philip used for hia wings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Very thoughtful of you Leigh, thank you always appreciate any Chipmunk pictures. Went to a fly in here in NZ only to find Chipmunk WP861 here that I have in my log book some 7 times.  It was the one Prince Philip used for hia wings.

No way! That is incredible!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more Chippies!

What a marvellous collection of images each one a gem in its own right. 

Extremely tough to choose a favourite but if I had to it would be the evocative capture of the tractor towing G-ACSS surrounded by white overalled ground crew. If that pic was b+w or sepia it would look period.

Great stuff.

• Thanks 1