Royal Navy Phantom FG.1 Wheels

gareth

Hi, I am trying to work out what colour the main wheel hubs should be on FAA Phantoms. From some of the period photos the hubs looks a dark colour (possibly metallic ?), but the restored Phantom in the Ulster museum has white painted hubs. I can also vaguely remember a comment on one of the posts on the forum that white hubs are not correct for FG.1's. Is anyone able to shed any light onto what colour the main wheel hubs should be. 

15 hours ago, JagRigger said:

That's the first one I've seen where the wheels are clearly white, but it's odd how the photos of the Yeovilton Phanton that @Julien posted and some of the period photos that I've seen suggest a dark metal. I had wondered whether it was brake dust that made some hubs look dark, but If the hubs on the Yeovilton one are that dark metallic colour then it cant be. 

It looks to me in a lot of the pictures as if there is some kind of cooling fan fitted to the hub, which is a dark colour, and absent in the link to the photo I posted

On 7/3/2023 at 10:42 PM, Winnbowman said:

Aren't the insides facing in brakes and the outsides facing out white rims? Brake side---

dweIFth.jpg

That's a US Air Force wheel with anti-skid. The FG.1/F-4K & FGR.2/F-4M used very different F-4J-type US Navy wheels which had white hubs (albeit they got grubby) as seen in Jagrigger's link.

Tony

Edited by tony.t
clarity

8 hours ago, Winnbowman said:

Aren't the insides facing in brakes and the outsides facing out white rims? Brake side---

dweIFth.jpg

The Brakes on the Phantom are on the indise of the wheel hub, facing the U/C door. So what is in this photo is not the brakes.

XV568 must have been rather at the end of her FAA career; is it possible that the hubs were painted after a certain point in the Phantom's career? The F-15 also started out with dark metallic hubs, which appear to have turned white at some point in time, and ultimately replaced with the invariably-white "8-slot" wheels.

The wheel rims on RN and RAF phantoms were painted white.  They got dirty quickly withy brake dust and grease etc in service and handling etc would alter their finish a bit, spare wheels being hastily fitted from stores may have had a different finish.

Below is a preserved aircraft just to illustrate the point.

48129203577_aef8491b8e_b.jpgMcDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 XV582 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 3

I spent the first 3 months after finishing my Apprenticeship in the tyre bay at Leuchars (talk about being disappointed lol) so I can confirm that the main wheels could be white, black or on the odd occasion a magnesium colour. Nose wheels were almost always white.

There is a photo of Black Mike (while still flying) wearing one black and one white main wheel somewhere in my info folder.

Duncan B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I spent the first 3 months after finishing my Apprenticeship in the tyre bay at Leuchars (talk about being disappointed lol) so I can confirm that the main wheels could be white, black or on the odd occasion a magnesium colour. Nose wheels were almost always white.

There is a photo of Black Mike (while still flying) wearing one black and one white main wheel somewhere in my info folder.

Duncan B

Only 3 months in a tyre bay 😉

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, JagRigger said:

Only 3 months in a tyre bay 😉

It got worse, I then got moved from the tyre bay, which at least had a door so I could slip out to watch the planes, to the hydraulics bay that had no windows or external doors at all. The RAF was trying very hard to dampen my enthusiasm at that point lol.

Duncan B

23 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

It got worse, I then got moved from the tyre bay, which at least had a door so I could slip out to watch the planes, to the hydraulics bay that had no windows or external doors at all. The RAF was trying very hard to dampen my enthusiasm at that point lol.

Duncan B

Tyre bay, hyd bay, tank bay - first tour 85-88 Colt............ but at least then we got to go on dets with the Sqns !

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:40 AM, JagRigger said:

Tyre bay, hyd bay, tank bay - first tour 85-88 Colt............ but at least then we got to go on dets with the Sqns !

I missed the tank bay, being a split brain they sent me down to the engine bays after I'd had the grand tour of the airframe bays. That turned out to be a hoot, on the test bed at the time they were trying to bring in the first computers to process the test results, epic fail!

Duncan B

• Like 1