New Tool 1:48 Hawker Hunter FR10 Airfix

I was honoured to be asked by Airfix to build all 3 versions of their newley released Hawker Hunter for their display at Hornby HQ.This is an excellent kit, straight out of the box, painted with MRP paints 

This is the scheme B FR10 No4 Sqn RAF 1961 and in my opinion the best scheme offered.

DSC_9517_edited

DSC_9521_edited

DSC_9525_edited

DSC_9526_edited

DSC_9531_edited

DSC_9516_edited

DSC_9518_edited

• Like 42

Looks a very sharp clean build, and very neatly executed. And obviously the most attractive jet ever in one of its most attractive versions. This may not win me any friends, though, (and it might be an artefact of the lighting for photography) but for me the colours are over-modulated. There are places where the green looks as light and grey as the grey. I’m all for texture and interest, but not an in-service aircraft that looks like it’s been outdoors at an impoverished air museum for a couple of decades. YMMV, clearly…

best,

M.

• Like 2

Superbly made and well painted, but for one touch.  Something fairly common on models shown on these pages - there should be no gap where the windscreen meets the nose.  A touch of filler is all that is needed before painting, I tend to use Xrystal Kleer or one of the other PVA-based options because it flows into gaps and excess can easily be wiped away.  There's a legitimate gap around the opening canopy.  However, I've never seen a Hunter with such soft edges to the camouflage.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s stunning! Is it exactly the same to build as the F.6 and F.4/F.5 kits?

Yes pretty much

1 hour ago, petetasker said:

Nice - looking forward to getting mine. Can I ask which MRP green you used for the camo?

Dark Green (cant remember the code off the top of my head, but with post shading is lightens up a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...