T55 Vampire in Irish Air Corp colours - Finished

Marklo

150-D55-C4-BEE6-43-FE-8663-00-D327-EA1-AThe T55 was basically the export version of the T11 so this should be a fairly straightforward mostly oob build.

The Air Corp had six of them all finished in an overall silver scheme. So this will be a bit of a palette cleanser before the more difficult DeHavillands…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

IMG-2220.jpgSome artwork. I’ll print on clear but I’ll either use white disks or paint as a background. Might actually be easier to mask and paint white disks.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

use white disks or paint as a background

Hm this seems ingenious. If every decal has a white version and then proper colour version (including text) they could be layered I guess to overcome the transparency issue.

26 minutes ago, CliffB said:

How did you create the shapes for the roundel segments?

In Amadine the third tool from the left allows for complex poly lines to be drawn. And the fusion tool allows shape to be cut or joined.

IMG-2222.jpg

Three circles 

IMG-2223.jpgMerged/cut with the Kfusion tool.

IMG-2221.jpg
More complex stuff can be done with the pm tool, which does complex poly lines. Here I’m using the pen over an imported image. This gives me a sharper line than if I just resized and printed the image.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Well beyond my capabilities using PowerPoint :winkgrin:.

It’s actually an iPhone app called Amadine which cost €9.99 but is almost on par with illustrator in the pc and worth the money.

IMG-2224.jpg

Sprue shots. Not shown but I’ve given the interior bits a coat of nato black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG-2230.jpg
Assembly commences..

IMG-2229.jpg

Booms and fuselage assembled. Making sure to weight the nose.

IMG-2231.jpg
I even broke out my engineer’s square to make sure the Tati was,  well square. Using CA with accelerant to really make sure it is :) Now this is also the point where I should have read the instructions and fitted the boom assembly before fitting the lower wing halves…

IMG-2232.jpgThankfully I realized my error and had used contacta glue so I was able to provide the wings apart and fit the wings as designed.

Notwithstanding my gaff, it’s a lovely kit, very well engineered.

Nearly ready for primer!!

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

IMG-2233.jpg
The fit was ok. I do feel that current Airfix kits are a little over engineered.

Now ready for primer, just as soon as I finish stripping and cleaning my airbrushes.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choice on the kit, Mark, I built one of these for the August Blitzbuild last year, and I’m about to dive into here with a pair in slightly unusual markings ;) 

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, franky boy said:

I love the shape of the Vampire T11. The best looking of the breed IMHO

Same here, they look more "finished" to me than the single seaters, which just look like someone plonked the canopy on and said "that'll do".

Nice work on the silver, Mark.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find rattlecans hit or miss except for Lidl silver and simoniz grey primer. I used some Montana black on my Drakken and it’s gone is a bit grainy, nothing that can’t be solved by buffing it down.

I'm still loving those roundels Mark.  Is there a (Celtic?), significance to the shape of the segments?

(as an aside, the last 'job lot' of 1/200 kits that I bought included a Miles Martinet with Irish markings - I must find an excuse to build it soon :)).

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Mark.  Is there a (Celtic?), significance to the shape of the segments?

They are referred to as Celtic bosses and I think the design can be found on Celtic carvings but other than that I’m not sure of their significance. Earlier Air Corp machines used a green white and orange roundel or more commonly stripes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

They are referred to as Celtic bosses and I think the design can be found on Celtic carvings but other than that I’m not sure of their significance. Earlier Air Corp machines used a green white and orange roundel or more commonly stripes.

Aaaand, if you google 'Celtic boss', you get a slew of guff about some football chappy.

• Haha 1

Good looking build. I had the opportunity to see a couple on a day out with the IAC at Casement in the early 80’s

31666773228_a7d36fb723_c.jpg

Outside the Officer’s Mess

44625235485_38902dc80b_c.jpg

The dump

Trevor

• Sad 1

Great photos a shame to see them come to such an ignoble end…

Still niggling over wether the nose, fins and wing tips should have been dayglo red and not orange.

Edited by Marklo