Lamborghini Aventador Roadster by Fnick - Aoshima 1/24

Fnick

Great work on the carbon, I've got a couple in my stash that would benefit from this treatment.   But always looks like a lot of hassle so they always stay near the bottom.   - Andy PS, hope the move went as smooth as possible 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy! Give carbon a go! The more you do it the easier it gets. Templates are your friends.

The move went well thank. The movers had to get a fourth van during the morning as they realised three wouldn't be enough!

As tempting as it was to tell my wife she had too much stuff...😋

Nick 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

Not an update as such but at least now I have the ability to clear coat the Aventador!

spacer.png

The spray booth is now ready for use. It has been upgraded with a custom (patent pending! 🤣 not!) venting system. Not only does it work but it also has muffled the fan noise so it is far quieter than with the fan blowing straight out of the back as it did in my previous house. Hopefully I'll get enough bench time to clear coat the Aventador in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed the fine weather lasts that long!

Nick

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all

Everything that needed a clear coat has now got one.

spacer.png

And a close up of the body

spacer.png

I'm pleased with the body colour but it does not appear as deep as I would have ideally liked. Gravity colours did say to use a dark primer. I used a darkish grey. If I ever do something similar I'll use black next time...

This one is going back into hibernation whilst I fully concentrate on the testarossa from now on.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 15

If you're just looking for depth, you can get this by polishing the paint you already have (assuming you have enough thickness of clearcoat to polish). That said, it's looking good from the photo and the colour does suit the Lambo. I definitely agree with you on getting body shells ready for winter too, and concentrating on building one model at a time. I should also say that one thing which really puts me off doing a modern sports car is all those sharp edges, just ripe for burning through the paint so if you do polish it make sure you take lots of car (and maybe try putting masking tape over the worst edges like I did with the Micra).

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Morning all

Back onto this one! First step was to glue the disks and wheels to the chassis. Made a complete mess of it as the polycaps were too tight a fit. Things fell apart when I tried to remove them so now everything is solidly fixed with super glue!

Think that is the last time I use polycaps! 🙂

spacer.png

At least all four wheels are in the ground!

Next up was the engine. Fairly simple but nice looking engine. No weathering or detailing on this one. The Lamborghini logos and the V12 badge are from the detail up set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 11

Engine looks great.  With regards to the poly caps, I gave read but never remember to try that if you put a single cut in them lengthways before installing then the wheels are much easier to fit.  I should remember to do it as I have also broken delicate suspension parts more than once whilst trying to squeeze the wheels into the blessed things - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job on that engine bay, I can imagine it's been quite a challenge getting the silver surround to look so smooth and with sharp edges too.

I can't offer a lot of help with the polycaps. Sometimes in winter (i.e. when my memory doesn't fail me) I'll put the polycap sprue or bag on top of the radiator to try to soften them a bit. I've also been known to round off the inside edge to them (which is easier said than done) to help with putting them into the desired slot. Not really sure that softening them helps, but that's more for getting them over the stalk more easily, while the rounding is theoretically to get started on putting them into the recess.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

Nice job on that engine bay, I can imagine it's been quite a challenge getting the silver surround to look so smooth and with sharp edges too.

Thanks Spiny! All I did was put a coat of black on the inevitable (well at least I couldn't do it!) silver which went on the horizontal edge. Keeping the black neat was a lot easier. 

Nick

22 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I gave read but never remember to try that if you put a single cut in them lengthways before installing then the wheels are much easier to fit.  I should remember to do it as I have also broken delicate suspension parts more than once whilst trying to squeeze the wheels into the blessed things -

I always try to remember to lubricate both the inside of the polycaps and the mounting posts on the wheels with Fairy liquid or similar, it does tend to make a bit of a difference. But I usually forget and end up breaking something too...!! :doh:

Wheels are looking good now they're on Nick and the engine's neat too!

Keith

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all

Hope everyone had a good Xmas. Here the latest progress. All the interior tub parts are ready for gluing. The colour I used for the red was Tamiya flat red. An absolute pain to brush paint! I was so tempted to get another brand but by the time I was going to get it I would have finished putting enough coats on!

spacer.png

A close up of the centre console. Needed the optovisor for that one! 😄

spacer.png

And I've just realised that the buttons at the bottom require some touching up of the black paint... 😡. Clearly didn't use a strong enough magnification! 😄

And a few different angles of it all together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also painted the door cards since they had the same colour scheme. I still need to add some PE once that had been painted up.

spacer.png

And then all was glued to the chassis.

spacer.png

And why not, let's have another picture!

spacer.png

Next step is to sand back and polish the body. Loads of separate body panels/parts, an overwhelming choice of edges to burn through, what could possibly go wrong? 😄

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

The body and various body bits are now sanded back and polished! 🙂😅

I am more than happy to report no burned edges! 

spacer.png

Not perfect but in this case better is the enemy of good and non burned through edges! 😄

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 11

Great job on the polishing, I can't believe you escaped without any burnthrough - even with a much more rounded or flatter model I don't think I've achieved that yet apart from the very rare occasion.

• Thanks 1